Progress of the Michigan Line M/W (part 4)

Anything pertaining to railfanning in Michigan.
Ypsi
The Bestest Railroadfan... fan

Re: Progress of the Michigan Line M/W (part 4)

Unread post by Ypsi »

I haven't check the orientation of that switch in a while, but my thought is that's a much safer place to build a new turnout for CP Ypsi, and much more open than back at mp 28 where CP Ypsi is. (actually thinking back that should be a LH switch which would fit the bill for CP Ypsi)

For reference to be for CP ypsi it would have to be a LH turn out, as in if you are looking from the points it would diverge left.
"Ann Arbor 2373 Calling... Milkshake. Over"

All Aboard Amtrak: Northbound, Southbound, and My Hometown

Ben Higdon
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Ben Higdon »

Ypsi wrote:I haven't check the orientation of that switch in a while, but my thought is that's a much safer place to build a new turnout for CP Ypsi, and much more open than back at mp 28 where CP Ypsi is. (actually thinking back that should be a LH switch which would fit the bill for CP Ypsi)

For reference to be for CP ypsi it would have to be a LH turn out, as in if you are looking from the points it would diverge left.
Gotcha, sounds like a good possibility!

Buster Manning
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Buster Manning »

For starters, that switch isn't big enough to be for Ypsi....

and why would they build it over a mile away from there, with all those crossings and the narrow r-o-w to navigate to get it there...

safer?? I see a single guy sitting there all the time at Ypsi in a new Lincoln, watching us go by....thinking a m-o-w gang building a turnout isn't gonna be scared off either

Ypsi

Unread post by Ypsi »

Signals 37-30 patched over. Old signals bagged. Out with the crap in with the working.

twropr
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by twropr »

Haven't heard any on site reports for quite a while. Are any ties/rail still being laid or surfacing taking place? I have heard that several crossing are being worked on west of Jackson. What is causing the Amtraks to continue losing time west of Dearborn?
Andy

Buster Manning
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Buster Manning »

twropr wrote: Are any ties/rail still being laid or surfacing taking place? I have heard that several crossing are being worked on west of Jackson. What is causing the Amtraks to continue losing time west of Dearborn?
Yes....lots of trackwork happening to the west...and bad meets account of track equipment sitting inconveniently in the way at normal meeting points

CR900945
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by CR900945 »

It is a LH switch sitting at Ypsilanti. Looks like it will be put in about 200' west of the station. The west end of the siding was shortened last year with its switch moved to just west of the bridge by Forest Avenue. Now the public crossing has been repaved with just the main track at Forest Avenue. The siding is chopped before the crossing. The only way to use the siding now will be with the new switch. The new switch is almost completely assembled (as of June 9th) with some Pandrol clips and insulated joints waiting to be attached.

twropr
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by twropr »

Haven't heard since June what is happening with m/w on the Michigan Line. I see that train #351 is generally not making its schedule, so I imagine some work is going on that is resulting in slow orders and/or reduced speed thru work areas and other work-related delays.
Thanks!
Andy
Jacksonville, FL

BnOEngr
Captain Obvious

Unread post by BnOEngr »

Watch for an interesting development on this line in a few months as a result of the work...
Not that obvious

atrainguy60
Saginaw Sub Foamer

Unread post by atrainguy60 »

BnOEngr wrote:Watch for an interesting development on this line in a few months as a result of the work...
OH MY GOSH CP IS RETURNING TO THE MICHIGA....oh, no, wait a minute...

Steve B
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Steve B »

BnOEngr wrote:Watch for an interesting development on this line in a few months as a result of the work...
What's the point of posting something so vague?

NSSD70ACe
The Conrail Guru

Unread post by NSSD70ACe »

Steve B wrote:
I agree. I think I understand what he was trying to do but it did not work out well.
:roll:

the contents of the above post are my opinion and mine alone, and do not necessarily reflect the views of my employer.

Saturnalia
Authority on Cat

Unread post by Saturnalia »

NSSD70ACe wrote:
Steve B wrote:
I agree. I think I understand what he was trying to do but it did not work out well.
It's a trigger for the rumor mill. I like the post - gets one thinking. No harm in that :)
Thornapple River Rail Series - YouTube
Safety today is your investment for tomorrow

David Lang
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by David Lang »

I doubt this interesting development is freight related.

I could see additional Amtrak Trains once this work is done - seems like this was mentioned some time ago as a possibility.

BnOEngr - What is the "interesting development"????

David Lang

GP30M4216
Saver of all History

Unread post by GP30M4216 »

I knew it! Coming soon in 1999 electrified high speed passenger train service to Chicago! I wish I could find that brochure....

Either that or they're converting the entire line to Toronto TTC streetcar gauge!

BnOEngr
Captain Obvious

Unread post by BnOEngr »

Steve B wrote:
Because I was told something in confidence that is not yet for publication. No, it is not freight related, and is scheduled to happen in October. Deal with it.
Not that obvious

Saturnalia
Authority on Cat

Unread post by Saturnalia »

Talgos?
Thornapple River Rail Series - YouTube
Safety today is your investment for tomorrow

atrainguy60
Saginaw Sub Foamer

Unread post by atrainguy60 »

Saturnalia wrote:[
It's a trigger for the rumor mill. I like the post - gets one thinking. No harm in that :)
I agree, these are some of my favorite posts. A teaser trailer, if you will. Hopefully it is talgos. Or even additional Amtraks in general would be fun to see.

Steve B
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Steve B »

Word on the street is that Amtrak's Lake Shore Ltd. will be rerouted through Mich. in October for a month on an experimental basis.

Don't worry, the nuclear codes won't be stolen because of this post.

Ypsi

Unread post by Ypsi »

Steve B wrote:Word on the street is that Amtrak's Lake Shore Ltd. will be rerouted through Mich. in October for a month on an experimental basis.

Don't worry, the nuclear codes won't be stolen because of this post.
Don't tease me like this :lol: that would be a sight to see

However expanding on this it is not the worst Idea ever. A direct Michigan NY connection. Plus there is quite literally nothing between Toledo and Chicago, plus it would give an earlier option than 351 into Chicago, and later option than 354 out of Chicago (assuming a similar-ish time card). You could even say that the trip from Michigan to Cleveland would be decent for business travelers. Not the worst idea, the less route overlap you have the better for Amtrak.