SMRS

Anything pertaining to railfanning in Michigan.
Clay320
Railroadfan...fan

SMRS

Unread post by Clay320 »

Thought I'd share a neat video I found about the SMR. Their crew training day is this upcoming weekend, if anyone would be interested in coming out, give me a shout and I'll get you some information on the event.

DelayInBlock
Railroadfan...fan

Re: SMRS

Unread post by DelayInBlock »

Clay320 wrote:Thought I'd share a neat video I found about the SMR. Their crew training day is this upcoming weekend, if anyone would be interested in coming out, give me a shout and I'll get you some information on the event.

Fantastic video. Very inspiring.
Delay In Block Productions: "Railroading a Little Different than Usual."

Visit my YouTube Channel and Subscribe: http://www.YouTube.com/user/DelayInBlock
Like My Page on Facebook: http://www.Facebook.com/DelayInBlockProductions

Macowiec
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Macowiec »

Commenting as one of the "3 high school kids" mentioned by the old guy at the beginning....

I wish SMRS would drop this "back story" they use that somehow we were some naïve model railroaders who through pure luck got the railroad. He says "they got the mortgage and thought they owned it". Nothing could be further from the truth, and it makes us sound like dopes. The SMRS was established through a LOT of hard work and determination on the part of everyone involved at the time. There were no illusions, when taking on such a large mortgage, that it would be easy. And if it hadn't been for donations by some local foundations, the SMRS would not have made some of those early mortgage payments.

One of my personal "finest moments" at the SMRS, as we prepared to take the newly-delivered gondola north in 1988. Everything was clean and well-kempt, and it looked like a shortline railroad from the 50s....:

SMRS 1982-88, IHRC 1989-90, KJRY 1991-94, UP 1994-2000

Publisher of Tecumsehjunction.com

Full European rail booking on my site: polrail.com

J T
Hates Supper

Unread post by J T »

Is this the same gon?

https://www.flickr.com/photos/jimthias/
GRHC - you know every night I can imagine he is in front of his computer screen sitting in his underwear swearing profusely and drinking Blatz beer combing the RailRoadFan website for grammatical errors.

Clay320
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Clay320 »

That would be the same one JT

I believe when the video was shot that the history of SMR and it's beginnings were explained more in depth, than the few sentences that made the final cut. The videographer was just a someone who was making the video on their own initiative, so they got to choose which clips and blurbs made it into the video, which when on time constraints doesn't always result in perfect storytelling.

chessieGP15T
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by chessieGP15T »

20 years of poor management have made this railroad what it is today. The one thing I can say is I am working hard to turn things around. With some Amazing members. 2014 was the best year we have had in 15 years im working on this year and beyond. Resorting the Bay window is a goal for this year. as well as track improvements.
This video was made last year when I had a film crew who wanted stock film shots in exchange for all footage. they where with us all day shooting.

WE are working on changing the perception that we are playing trains and we don't care how we look. and the new board is working on paying off out bills and turning a profit.

MQT1223
O Scale Railfanner

Unread post by MQT1223 »

chessieGP15T wrote:20 years of poor management have made this railroad what it is today. The one thing I can say is I am working hard to turn things around. With some Amazing members. 2014 was the best year we have had in 15 years im working on this year and beyond. Resorting the Bay window is a goal for this year. as well as track improvements.
This video was made last year when I had a film crew who wanted stock film shots in exchange for all footage. they where with us all day shooting.

WE are working on changing the perception that we are playing trains and we don't care how we look. and the new board is working on paying off out bills and turning a profit.
I applaud your efforts. A rail line with this much history should be saved and shared. The SMRS I think is VERY underrated. Everyone needs to look beyond the weeds and track conditions to see what a promising organization this is. I would love to see the equipment on the other side of the former N&W one day on the SMRS main in use for everyone to have a chance to ride behind. I am a HUGE fan of the GMDH-3 and hope that this unique critter can one day be seen in regular operation as well.
1223 OUT! President and Founder of the Buck Creek Central, the Rolling River Route! (2012-2017) President and Founder of the Lamberton Valley Railroad, The Tin Plate Road! Proudly railfanning with Asperger's since 1996. :)

SousaKerry
ALCOHAULIC

Unread post by SousaKerry »

Has a date been set yet for the next training day? I did my homework this weekend although I couldn't find a couple on answers. I really can't wait to get in my first few training runs.
What smells like lube oil and diesel.... Oh wait it's just my "Locomotive Breath"

chessieGP15T
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by chessieGP15T »

These are the training days./work days

March 28th Train clean up. Cleaning up the consist.
April 11 canceled
April 18 Track work
April 25 Track work.

May 9 Hands on training.

Jerry
SMR Operations Director

SousaKerry
ALCOHAULIC

Bumping an old thread from last year. This years Crew Training Day is set for Saturday April 2nd at Noon and will be held in Clinton, Mi at the museum or possibly the Pallox property. Any new members are welcome to attend who would like to be crew this year.

For more info contact me through a PM
What smells like lube oil and diesel.... Oh wait it's just my "Locomotive Breath"

JCinSummerfield
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by JCinSummerfield »

I'm sure I know the answer to this, but I will ask the question anyways:

Why doesn't the SMRS store some tank cars like the AA on the Saline branch? They could put some on the southern end that is still connected to the ADBF. Would help raise some funds.

Clay320
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Clay320 »

JCinSummerfield wrote:I'm sure I know the answer to this, but I will ask the question anyways:

Why doesn't the SMRS store some tank cars like the AA on the Saline branch? They could put some on the southern end that is still connected to the ADBF. Would help raise some funds.
The idea has come up before, there's a number of logistic challenges that would have to be sorted out to make it a realistic option. Long story short, lots of red tape.

SousaKerry
ALCOHAULIC

The idea has come up before, there's a number of logistic challenges that would have to be sorted out to make it a realistic option. Long story short, lots of red tape.

That and that section of track has not had a train over it in over 10 years, the rails are pulled between us and A&B for about 29 ft. We would also have to contract with A&B to do the switching, they don't seem to like us very much.

Doktor No
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Doktor No »

A&B doesn't like anyone very much!
Curb Your Enthusiasm.

MQT1223
O Scale Railfanner

Unread post by MQT1223 »

Doktor No wrote:A&B doesn't like anyone very much!
What is the A&B's problem? They make other mean lines look like the nice guys.
1223 OUT! President and Founder of the Buck Creek Central, the Rolling River Route! (2012-2017) President and Founder of the Lamberton Valley Railroad, The Tin Plate Road! Proudly railfanning with Asperger's since 1996. :)

SD80MAC
Ingersoll's Mr. Michigan

Unread post by SD80MAC »

MQT1223 wrote:
Doktor No wrote:A&B doesn't like anyone very much!
What is the A&B's problem? They make other mean lines look like the nice guys.
They have a lot to hide.
"Remember, 4 mph is a couple, 5's a collision!"
http://flickriver.com/photos/conrail680 ... teresting/

JCinSummerfield
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by JCinSummerfield »

I anticipated a 3 pronged answer, and got what I figured. First, the physical condition of the track is unknown at best, because there's been no activity in years. Second, your relationship with A&B is not conducive to a healthy, working relationship. Third, it puts your status as a non-profit organization at risk (I guess that's what you meant by "red tape", Clay). It's a shame, because that's easy money waiting to be picked by organizations that own some tracks.

SousaKerry
ALCOHAULIC

And one other advantage we have now is we are physically not connected in any way to the national system so we are exempt from many regulations. In other words much less paperwork and we don't have to worry as much about the FRA man stopping by for a surprise visit. They still can since we carry passengers but much less likely.

Steve B
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Steve B »

SousaKerry, it's best that you not say about ADBF in a public forum, "they don't seem to like us very much." That's not going to make ADBF more likely to do business with you. It'd be better to say something like this: "Although no connection currently exists with ADBF, SMRS looks forward to opportunities to work with ADBF in the future."

SousaKerry
ALCOHAULIC

Steve B wrote:SousaKerry, it's best that you not say about ADBF in a public forum, "they don't seem to like us very much." That's not going to make ADBF more likely to do business with you. It'd be better to say something like this: "Although no connection currently exists with ADBF, SMRS looks forward to opportunities to work with ADBF in the future."

And that is why I don't work in sales or marketing. I'm happy being a mechanic where I can tell people where to go if I don't like them.