Lake Superior & Ishpeming and ELS Operations

Anything pertaining to railfanning in Michigan.
ConrailDetr​oit
Railroadfan...fan

Lake Superior & Ishpeming and ELS Operations

Unread post by ConrailDetr​oit »

Could anyone break down the operations of both RRs as far as operating schedules and runs?

Any info is appreciated. Thanks.

NSSD70ACe
The Conrail Guru

Re: Lake Superior & Ishpeming and ELS Operations

Unread post by NSSD70ACe »

I'm not so sure about ELS operations but when I took a tour of the LS&I, thanks to MTU, they said most of their operations are extremely confidential. They wouldn't even let us take any photos on the bus (like, no cameras out AT ALL), citing Homeland Security. I'm sure someone here can give you a general timespan of ops for LS&I however don't get your hopes too high up.

As for ELS, there's a Facebook page called all about the ELS. I would try there to see if there's any information. Let me find the page name and I'll pass it on.

Merci beaucoup

--NSSD70ACe
:roll:

the contents of the above post are my opinion and mine alone, and do not necessarily reflect the views of my employer.

BOHICA
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by BOHICA »

A few years ago they would allow cameras on site, somebody over in Minnosota took the tour and made a smear campaign in YouTube about how bad mining is. Ever since then Cliffs has been zero tolerance to cameras on site.

chapmaja
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by chapmaja »

NSSD70ACe wrote:I'm not so sure about ELS operations but when I took a tour of the LS&I, thanks to MTU, they said most of their operations are extremely confidential. They wouldn't even let us take any photos on the bus (like, no cameras out AT ALL), citing Homeland Security. I'm sure someone here can give you a general timespan of ops for LS&I however don't get your hopes too high up.

As for ELS, there's a Facebook page called all about the ELS. I would try there to see if there's any information. Let me find the page name and I'll pass it on.

Merci beaucoup

--NSSD70ACe

Whoever told you that Homeland Security had anything to do with the companies decision to ban photography on the property was simply blowing smoke somewhere. The decision to not allow photography of a mining operation is a company decision, not a homeland security issue. The company does not want people taking photographs of their operations because too many times you get complaints from those images that are either unfounded or show illegal actions by the company that will cost the company money.

Cliffs Corporation has been around long enough they know how to defend themselves from potential issues, and the first step to a good defense is be offensive to all. In this case their decision to not allow photography is offensive to many people, but it serves the defensive purpose of the company.

Tom Train
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Tom Train »

ELS at Wells has always been difficult to get in to. You can see plenty from public roads and parking lots on two sides of the property at Wells. Follpw sighns to the public boat ramp.
Michigan hwy M-95 from north of Channing parallels much of the main line to Iron Mountain. U.S.-141 from just east of IM parallels ELS much of the way to Green Bay. Crivitz seems to be a hot spot.
LS&I in many places is readily seen from public roads, as well. Hwy M-35 crosses the west end lead to Eagle Mills Yard and another mile or so south crosses another line to the mines. Train crews are usually friendly. The east end of Eagle Mills yard is viewable from CR 493.

Saturnalia
Authority on Cat

Unread post by Saturnalia »

BOHICA wrote:A few years ago they would allow cameras on site, somebody over in Minnosota took the tour and made a smear campaign in YouTube about how bad mining is. Ever since then Cliffs has been zero tolerance to cameras on site.
Is there a link to said content anywhere?
Thornapple River Rail Series - YouTube
Safety today is your investment for tomorrow

NSSD70ACe
The Conrail Guru

Unread post by NSSD70ACe »

MQT3001 wrote: Is there a link to said content anywhere?
There's a video of the LS&I shops online but it looks to be several years old. Haven't found anything about the smear campaign
:roll:

the contents of the above post are my opinion and mine alone, and do not necessarily reflect the views of my employer.

Standard Railfan
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Standard Railfan »

milineamtrak wrote:Could anyone break down the operations of both RRs as far as operating schedules and runs?

Any info is appreciated. Thanks.
I can give some information, but what I know is limited.

LS&I

I can hear LS&I trains on the hill. I occasionally catch them moving near Eagle Mills or around Marquette. There seems to be a "schedule" based on boat arrivals.

Traditionally, LS&I had crew calls at 0700. ON days that runs are made to the dock, look for an arrival into the dock yard around 0930. Return trip up the hill an hour or so later. Another "hill dock" job will come down in the afternoon and return in the evening. Train frequency picks up when boats are in or due in to the Upper Harbor dock. Use http://ais.boatnerd.com to check on boats bound for Marquette.

Good places to catch hill-dock dock-hill jobs are the US 41 overpass near midway industrial park, the Dead River trestle (I haven't been out there in years. I don't know if you can get a good view from "public" property.) Forestville is a great spot for photos as is the Co. Rd. 550 crossing on the North side of Marquette.

The mine runs are harder to catch but operate on a similar schedule. Trains run empties into Tilden mine and pick up loads. There is also bentonite cars that are interchanged with CN.

To get good views of the mine run find Buffalo Road southeast of Negaunee. You can follow the gravel roads almost to the mine rail entrance. There are a number of "roads" in the area you can park on. I am not sure of ownership, but I have never had any issues.

ELS
I do not know what the ELS has going these days. I think they still have a daily turn between Green Bay and Channing (one way one day back the next I think). Less frequently trains run from Channing to the various sidings and spurs where log loading occurs. I have not seen much ELS action around Wells in a very long time. The railcar repair facility in the old Harnischfeger plant gets switched but I don't know when.

I am spending more time in Escanaba and Iron Mountain areas in the coming weeks. I will provide updates as more information becomes available.