Bad Axe too Sebawaing Run 5/29/12

Anything pertaining to railfanning in Michigan.
railnut0571
Railroadfan...fan

Bad Axe too Sebawaing Run 5/29/12

Unread post by railnut0571 »

I was lucky enough too run too Bad Axe tonite, and I I hung around the rail yard at about 7 oclock, and there was 1 engine with 2 hoppers connected in the yard, and a long string of about 30 cars or so that were lined up. I did some shoppin, and when I got out I checked the yard again, at about 8 P.M. and a puff of exhaust smoke rose from engine. #3865, and I knew they must be gettin ready too leave for a run too Sebwaing or somewhere on that Line. So I went too Mortimer Lumber in Bad Axe too watch it cross VanDyke and it started coming then backed up on the Wye, and picked up the entire string of cars in the yard, Then It pulled forward very slowly and crept up too VanDyke, As the signals went off I headed about 2 miles west of Bad Axe and watched it coming down the line. For some reason when it got up behind the Highschool it stopped there for about 10 min. and then it started too accelerate too its normal pace. The next crossing I went too was Pinnebog Rd. Got some more great pics there, It took the train quite a while too get out their it seemed but then the light appeared around the curve in the line, and it was doing prolly 30 MPH or so. As I got too Elkton they slowed down too a creep. Next I went straight too Pigeon and Watched it miles away down the line as it got dark. It seemed too take a long time too reach Pigeon. They must have had some rail fans in the Pigeon Bar next too the tracks cuz a bunch of people came out too watch the train. They prolly thought i was wacko standing their at the crossing taking photos, but oh well whatever makes a person happy I guess lol. So I got many great pics on my camera. Perhaps I can get some of them on here, if I can just find my cord that plugs into the computer. I'm satisfied for awhile as far as train chasing, and pics. This board is great with many knowledgable folks on it Thanks Everyone for all the info., and Videos. SIncerely Growler0571

MP73point4
Railroadfan...fan

Re: Bad Axe too Sebawaing Run 5/29/12

Unread post by MP73point4 »

"Bad Axe to Sebewaing" is correct, not "too" (and not "Sebawaing" either). You have way too many "too's" in there. "Too" is used in place of "also", such as; I would like some too. "Too" can also be used to show an extreme, such as; I had too much. Everything else is just "to".
OK, let the flaming of me begin.
RR Pass Collector

GreatLakesRailfan
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by GreatLakesRailfan »

MP73point4 wrote:"Bad Axe to Sebewaing" is correct, not "too" (and not "Sebawaing" either). You have way too many "too's" in there. "Too" is used in place of "also", such as; I would like some too. "Too" can also be used to show an extreme, such as; I had too much. Everything else is just "to".
OK, let the flaming of me begin.
Wow.

Looking forward too seeing you're pictures Jeremy. What engine where they using four the run? Thank u four the trip report.
~ Charles W.

AARR
Ann Arbor RR Nerd

Unread post by AARR »

thanks for posting your observations railnut. I too am trying to get an understanding of HESR's operations in the thumb and your report is very helpful.
PatC created a monster, 'cause nobody wants to see Don Simon no more they want AARR I'm chopped liver, well if you want AARR this is what I'll give ya, bad humor mixed with irrelevant info that'll make you roll your eyes quicker than a ~Z~ banhammer...

railnut0571
Railroadfan...fan

MKT, They were using engine #3865 for the trip too Sebwaing. I am wondering where all Huron n Eastern's blue, white and yellow engines went too. Unless they just repainted them in the red, blue and grey scheme they are using now?

railnut0571
Railroadfan...fan

MP73point4, hahahaha ok, Thanks for the correction's lol....

pbmaxno15
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by pbmaxno15 »

This might answer some or your questions about HESR locomotives.
http://www.railroadmichigan.com/huroneastern.html

sd70accsxt700
Sofa King follower

Unread post by sd70accsxt700 »

railnut0571 wrote:MKT, They were using engine #3865 for the trip too Sebwaing. I am wondering where all Huron n Eastern's blue, white and yellow engines went too. Unless they just repainted them in the red, blue and grey scheme they are using now?
All the Blue, white and yellow units have been gone for over 12 years. I am thinking may be even 15 yers now. They were gone before I started working for CSX back in 2001. They were all repainted into the red blue and gray/silver/white paint.
https://flic.kr/ps/jSuAb My Flickr photos!

GreatLakesRailfan
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by GreatLakesRailfan »

sd70accsxt700 wrote:
railnut0571 wrote:MKT, They were using engine #3865 for the trip too Sebwaing. I am wondering where all Huron n Eastern's blue, white and yellow engines went too. Unless they just repainted them in the red, blue and grey scheme they are using now?
All the Blue, white and yellow units have been gone for over 12 years. I am thinking may be even 15 yers now. They were gone before I started working for CSX back in 2001. They were all repainted into the red blue and gray/silver/white paint.
The 100-105 are long gone. The 102 might still be blue/yellow/white, unless its current owner has repainted it. I believe it was on a tourist railroad in Missouri a few years ago, don't know if it's still there or not.

The 201-204 are now the 3865-3868. They were painted into the red/silver/blue before being renumbered to the 38xx series.

The link pbmaxno15 posted has a picture of the 201 and the 203 in two different schemes- 201 in red/silver/blue and 203 in yellow/white/blue. The watermark says 3/14/99, so the repaint dates would be about 13 years ago. Dave Cenci on the MichiganRailroads boards would be the guy to ask about when each unit was repainted.

Ironically, the 104 was repainted into the red/silver/blue and relettered for the St. Croix Valley before returning to Greenville* (west half of the state) where it sat on blocks after its trucks were put under another unit. It was cut up a year or two back when the line was pulled up over there.

EDIT: Thank you for the correction SD80MAC.
Last edited by GreatLakesRailfan on Thu May 31, 2012 7:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
~ Charles W.

SD80MAC
Ingersoll's Mr. Michigan

Unread post by SD80MAC »

104 became a parts unit for Mid Michigan RR GP9 #24. Sat on blocks in Greenville (not Lowell) until everything north of Lowell was torn up 2 years ago.
"Remember, 4 mph is a couple, 5's a collision!"
http://flickriver.com/photos/conrail680 ... teresting/

railnut0571
Railroadfan...fan

Another movement tonite on the Bad Axe Saginaw Line. I went to Bad Axe at 8 P.M. tonite, and they were switching cars across M-142, and then they turned out on the wye and headed to Elkton at around 9 P.M. this time. I wasn't gonna chase them this time but being the train/railnut that I am, I couldn't resist. lol So after I stopped and got a coffee at McDonalds. It was down pigeon road I went. Had to take a detour rite before entering Elkton the bridge is still out by right before the elevator. Parked next too the trailer homes, And the engine did quite a bit of switching at the elevator their in elkton. They dropped off some tank cars, and hoppers, and they stayed their parked for about a half an hour, as I waited then they took off and head too Pigeon. If i woulda had more gas I woulda followed them. I tried too get my pics on the board here of my last train chase but I was unable too find the cord too transfer them from my camera too the computer. I will try too find the cord and post them if I can find the dang thing. It seems tuesdays between 8, and 9 P.M. is a good time too catch them doing the run out west of Bad Axe. I even had the engineer and conductor waving too me this time as I watched them in building their train in Bad Axe Yard. I hope I'm not creeping them out lol. I will have too talk too them and let them know. I am just a train chaser lol.

AARR
Ann Arbor RR Nerd

Unread post by AARR »

railnut0571 wrote:I even had the engineer and conductor waving too me this time as I watched them in building their train in Bad Axe Yard. I hope I'm not creeping them out lol. I will have too talk too them and let them know. I am just a train chaser lol.
Just wipe the foma off your face before you talk to them :lol: I think they understand but it is still a nice gesture if you say something to them :)
PatC created a monster, 'cause nobody wants to see Don Simon no more they want AARR I'm chopped liver, well if you want AARR this is what I'll give ya, bad humor mixed with irrelevant info that'll make you roll your eyes quicker than a ~Z~ banhammer...

Justin
Train Videoholic

Unread post by Justin »

AARR wrote:
railnut0571 wrote:I even had the engineer and conductor waving too me this time as I watched them in building their train in Bad Axe Yard. I hope I'm not creeping them out lol. I will have too talk too them and let them know. I am just a train chaser lol.
Just wipe the foma off your face before you talk to them :lol: I think they understand but it is still a nice gesture if you say something to them :)
It is a nice gesture to wave to the crew as you watch them go by. I always wave or do a quick nod just so they get the idea that I am out there watching them and not trying to be suspicious. But most of the crews around here probably know me by now and figure out what I am doing when they see the big tripod with the camera filming them. :D
My train pictures can now be found at:
http://trainman86.rrpicturearchives.net

And my train videos at:
http://www.youtube.com/trainman1986

My website, dedicated to my layout, "The Fast Lane" (still under construction)
www.trainman86.webs.com