Cotton Seed back in Lake O

Anything pertaining to railfanning in Michigan.
GrandTrunkFan
Railroadfan...fan

Cotton Seed back in Lake O

Unread post by GrandTrunkFan »

Drove through Lake Odessa today and noticed on the old elevator track, that the cotton seed has resumed to come into town. A BAEX ex SP boxcar was at the loading dock while two AEX, what appear to be old woodchip hoppers, were at the end of the spur. Kinda curious how these were unloaded here...

The scenery here looks a lot different than it used to. The old Smith Bros elevator has been completely torn down, and actually had suffered a collapse during demolition. This siding used to serve the elevator.
Nick

AARR
Ann Arbor RR Nerd

Re: Cotton Seed back in Lake O

Unread post by AARR »

Are the wood chip cars loaded with cotton seed? If yes how do they empty them? Do they have a tarp covering them? It seems the wood chip cars would be better for cotton seed service than box cars. The way they are loaded in box cars reminds me of the old days when they loaded grain in box cars :)
PatC created a monster, 'cause nobody wants to see Don Simon no more they want AARR I'm chopped liver, well if you want AARR this is what I'll give ya, bad humor mixed with irrelevant info that'll make you roll your eyes quicker than a ~Z~ banhammer...

cnw8835
Grain Train Fetish LOLZ

Unread post by cnw8835 »

I would doubt those were loaded with cotton seed. They are the same type and number series as the high-side trash gons stored on the GRE in 2009. I would guess they are being used for loading construction or demolition debris into.

rob
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by rob »

cnw8835 wrote:I would doubt those were loaded with cotton seed. They are the same type and number series as the high-side trash gons stored on the GRE in 2009. I would guess they are being used for loading construction or demolition debris into.

they were i look them up in the computer

rob

AARR
Ann Arbor RR Nerd

Unread post by AARR »

cnw8835 wrote:I would doubt those were loaded with cotton seed. They are the same type and number series as the high-side trash gons stored on the GRE in 2009. I would guess they are being used for loading construction or demolition debris into.
Ok - thanks. Trash makes more sense for those green cars but box cars seem so ineffecient for loose cotton seed that i keep my eyes open for something else carrying it.

I recall seeing UP with a 100 box car unit train (mostly 50' RBOX) of cotton seed. Think it originated in the sooutheast and was heading to Mexico IIRC.
PatC created a monster, 'cause nobody wants to see Don Simon no more they want AARR I'm chopped liver, well if you want AARR this is what I'll give ya, bad humor mixed with irrelevant info that'll make you roll your eyes quicker than a ~Z~ banhammer...

cnw8835
Grain Train Fetish LOLZ

Unread post by cnw8835 »

rob wrote:

they were i look them up in the computer

rob
"they were" debris or cotton seed? If they were cotton seed, I stand corrected.

GrandTrunkFan
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by GrandTrunkFan »

Doktor No wrote:COTTON SEED! I say again COTTON SEED. From Vienna, Ga last time I looked. I will assume they use a clamshell bucket of some type. The boxcars are unloaded with a Bobcat/skidsteer. Its a feed additive for dairy cows. Adds to the butterfat content in the milk.
One would think but Caledonia Farmers Elevator doesnt have a clamshell in Lake O, at least one in plain sight. Theres really nowhere to keep anything that large hidden. :? Seen the Bobcat used in the boxcar. Unless they put some stuff in the AEX cars from the elevator demolition. But I dont remember much at all debris there before they showed up, some pieces of grain bins and some pipe, maybe. Dont know on this one.
Nick

DLM
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by DLM »

Cars are covered when they arrive. The cover is removed and the cotton seed is unloaded. If it is loose, it could be vacuumed out. Not sure it the cover is reusable or plastic thrown away.

cnw8835
Grain Train Fetish LOLZ

Unread post by cnw8835 »

It appears that 2 more of the high side gons came in on Q335 this morning. They were the last two cars in the train sitting at the east end of 2 Track earlier. Reporting marks on the car I could see are MWCX 101391. Both cars had tarps ratchet strapped down across the tops.

Jetlink
Not a Railfan

Unread post by Jetlink »

Was up in Lake Odessa today and saw the cottonseed cars. The tarps were pushed to the side and they were full of cotton seed. Looked like Q tip tips. There was a front end loader on the loading ramp with a set of forks as well as a small conventional loader. No clamshell.
interested in trains

Patiently waiting for LansingRailfan to antagonize me in his tagline