Anything pertaining to railfanning in Michigan.
UncleRaul
Railroadfan...fan

Re: 1225

Unread post by UncleRaul »

Would Little River RR be willing to pull excursions for 'em? They've got quite a classy engine.

Mackinac Mac
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Mackinac Mac »

Would Little River RR be willing to pull excursions for them? They've got quite a classy engine.
That is a great idea, but as a licensed High Pressure Boiler Operator and former fireman from the Henry Ford Museum in Dearborn with a passion for steam, after being laid off I was offered a job at the Huckleberry RR and also really wanted to volunteer at SRI, but the commutes are too far to do either of those. For practical purposes, I couldn't see why the Little River Railroad people would want to send their engine far away to get "beat to death" (nothing against SRI, just that little engine would be getting a work-out doing all those trips!). The people that work on it, probably do not live too far from Coldwater and that is their lively hood and I know they work well with the Indiana Northeastern, I know I would not want to part with "my" steamer if I was part of the Little River Railroad group. SRI needs to fend for themselves by scaling back and perhaps taking a break from playing train. It’s an incredible achievement how many successful trips they have been able to make with 1225.

All I have to say is that I hope things work out for SRI, with the economy in Michigan the way it is; sometimes you just have to take a break from the fun stuff. As long as they can safely store equipment and educate visitors I think that is good enough for now, running a steam train is no cheap endeavor, let alone doing boiler work. I’m sure we will see 1225 or another steamer steaming again, its just time to take a break and realize reality or.. Find someone with allot of money to donate :D

nathansixchime
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by nathansixchime »

TrainWatcher wrote:Word is that NKP 765's crew were a little unhappy about their arrangements. Its possible, but that'd take a lot.
I would absolutely love to know where things like that get dreamt up. It would be very enlightening.

We really enjoyed the part we were asked to play in TrainFestival and all of 2009's subsequent operations. Our friends up north know we are more than happy to talk about coming back and that they have our support. What effects one of us in the steam preservation and operation business affects all of us.
Kelly Lynch
Fort Wayne Railroad Historical Society
http://www.fwrhs.org

RailCanon
BANHAMMERED

Unread post by RailCanon »

Welcome aboard Kelly.

BerkshireKid
sofa king we todd

Unread post by BerkshireKid »

Nice to see ya on here Kelly!
Depending on how the job situation and other things play out I might just have to come on down and visit 765's home for once.
Rule #1: BerkshireKid is God. Rule #2: God is always right. Rule #3: If you think you may actually be right refer to Rules #1 & #2.

GLC 392
TSBY/GLC KID

Unread post by GLC 392 »

well crap there goes the neighbor hood, Nice to see ya on here Kelly. Im with Dane depending what happends the next two months will determine if i can head that way