Charlotte and Southern Visitors update thread

Anything pertaining to railfanning in Michigan.
redside20
i don't give a fark about your PM

Re: Charlotte and Southern Visitors...Aug 5, 2009

Unread post by redside20 »

no i didn't mean to irk anyone's temper, as i didn't read the above posts very carefully :) I for one enjoy your older photos. It almost doesn't seem fair to any railroad big or small, because ignorance is bliss and people just don't seem to care when it comes to safety and awareness. And no Matt, i don't think its fair for railroad companies to intimidate people. :wink:
Exit stage left

tyler_phillips
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by tyler_phillips »

I CAN understand ADBF's point. People post pictures, rumors (may end up true or un-true) or other information about the railroad, and people get curious and go look for themselves (and if the wrong people do so, they might steal or vandalize along the way). I'm not saying that every body on here will do that, but maybe some people who DO vandalize, trespass or steal also watch these message boards to find out potential targets. I'm not accusing anyone of anything (I don't even know any of you on here), I'm just saying that I can understand ADBF's point about posting their information.

If you owned a business (or even your own home) and had problems with break-ins, thefts or vandalism, you would post warning signs bullying/scaring potential trespassers or thieves away, right? Well, this might be ADBF's (or any other railroad) warning signs to potential threats.

GreatLakesRailfan
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by GreatLakesRailfan »

If I'm reading some of these posts right, it sounds almost as if the ADBF is blaming their lack of security on others, rather than working on solving the security problems that apparently exist in their system. It's a lot easier (and usually cheaper) to threaten someone than it is to hire another cop or security guard in order to add extra patrols for an extra layer of security for their property and equipment. Maybe an extra pair or two of eyes would help them to realize the true situation in cases like Don's before they open themselves up to potential legal problems from not checking all their facts first...
Last edited by GreatLakesRailfan on Thu Sep 24, 2009 11:00 am, edited 1 time in total.
~ Charles W.

tyler_phillips
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by tyler_phillips »

I'm not saying that at all. All I am saying is I understand their point. My opinion, thats it.

Larry G
Railroadfan...fan

UTube Video August 15, 2009

Unread post by Larry G »

Someone visiting Charlotte posted this viedo on UTube around August 15...almost two months ago...moved into history from current time so I am posting it for viewing.

Semitruckman101
August 15, 2009

(more info)
(less info) Want to Subscribe?
Sign In or Sign Up now!
I visit my old town and get film of the Dinner train/switcher i catch it at one of the crossings!
I visit my old town and get film of the Dinner train/switcher i catch it at one of the crossings!
Category: Autos & Vehicles

Tags: Semitruckman101 Switcher engine Switcher train train charlotte MI Charlotte Michigan Michagan Train engine.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fSa7W1S19fI Video of #3 pushing a coil car.
"If I Harp at you, it is only to Spur you on!

Larry G
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Larry G »

:shock: Was out and about today doing errands and noticed a 'railfan' with camera in hand taking photos at the old NYC depot of a cut of cars. :shock:

AARR
Ann Arbor RR Nerd

Unread post by AARR »

It may have been nice to ride at the end of the freight car when it was nice out but it'd be darn cold today :shock:
PatC created a monster, 'cause nobody wants to see Don Simon no more they want AARR I'm chopped liver, well if you want AARR this is what I'll give ya, bad humor mixed with irrelevant info that'll make you roll your eyes quicker than a ~Z~ banhammer...

Larry G
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Larry G »

Check out Historical Q&A Section for 'Then and Now at MP J34.1' Thread Compare the change over time.
Current photo taken from sidewalk along the ajoining street.

Larry G
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Larry G »

AARR
Ann Arbor RR Nerd

Unread post by AARR »

I like the picture of the group of gondola's with the buildings in the background. Nice photo, Larry.
PatC created a monster, 'cause nobody wants to see Don Simon no more they want AARR I'm chopped liver, well if you want AARR this is what I'll give ya, bad humor mixed with irrelevant info that'll make you roll your eyes quicker than a ~Z~ banhammer...

Larry G
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Larry G »

http://railroadfan.com/gallery/displayi ... pos=-57846 Photo taken 12-1-09 alongside the silos of the Eaton Country Farm Bureau.

AARR
Ann Arbor RR Nerd

Unread post by AARR »

There was a time not that long ago that an elevator of this size would not even think about not having a rail spur :(

Larry G
Railroadfan...fan

CHS Dec 12, 2009

Unread post by Larry G »

A cut of about 8 gons that came in earlier in the week were moved down to the end of the line so the Dinner Train could run today. The Dinner Train ran two sections today...one in the afternoon and another in the evening. Looks like the evening train was sold out...many cars parked with riders.

RailCanon
BANHAMMERED

Unread post by RailCanon »

Actually, the afternoon run was a special Santa train. Left the depot at 12:30 and then got back about two hours later. I "chased" them from Oliver Street to Henry Street and took a few photos. Kind of boring, but still fun, especially since I hadn't seen any movements myself for over a year.

Larry G
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Larry G »

Did you get there in time to observe the gons going out to the end of the line???

Larry G
Railroadfan...fan

Jan update

Unread post by Larry G »

2010 continues wilh more storage cars arriving off CN ...1-6-10 a gon and two hoppers..Last run of Dinner Train was on New Years Eve...the ride is getting shorter each time....stored cars are approaching Meijers property now. :)

AARR
Ann Arbor RR Nerd

Re: Jan update

Unread post by AARR »

Larry G wrote:2010 continues wilh more storage cars arriving off CN ...1-6-10 a gon and two hoppers..Last run of Dinner Train was on New Years Eve...the ride is getting shorter each time....stored cars are approaching Meijers property now. :)
I hear cars are starting to be pulled from other lines. Hopefully this is the case.

Larry G
Railroadfan...fan

Update 1-13-10

Unread post by Larry G »

3 Hoppers and 3 gons arrived of CN today for storage.....

Larry G
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Larry G »

Update Jan 21, 2010 CN dropped off another string of cars for storrage today. At the moment ten cars are waiting downtown by the old depots to move out to the end of the line. For those familiar with the area, the stored cars at the end of the line are 4 house lots shy of reaching the Meijer store. It is getting crowded out there!!! :)

AARR
Ann Arbor RR Nerd

Unread post by AARR »

Thanks for the update, Larry.

Glad to see CS can make a little money from this line.