Joliet, IL

Anything pertaining to railfanning in Illinois.
NickThatRailfan
Railroadfan...fan

Joliet, IL

Unread post by NickThatRailfan »

I plan on heading to Joliet for vacation I will be staying most likely for 2 days how many trains in a 24 hour period past union station? I know METX, UP, BNSF, AMTK, and IAIS run past there I would also like to know when does IAIS run past Joliet and how many trains foes Joliet average in a 24 hour period thats the most important I don't wanna go and have there be only 30 trains through there a day

ConrailDetr​oit
Railroadfan...fan

Re: Joliet, IL

Unread post by ConrailDetr​oit »

Way way way more than 30 trains a day pass through Joliet as of a year ago. Majority are BNSF intermodals.

How many of the trains are UP?

NickThatRailfan
Railroadfan...fan

ConrailDetr​oit wrote:
Wed Nov 15, 2023 8:53 pm
Way way way more than 30 trains a day pass through Joliet as of a year ago. Majority are BNSF intermodals.

How many of the trains are UP?

How many would you say pass union station, 60 to 70?

GP30M4216
Saver of all History

Unread post by GP30M4216 »

At last check I believe there are more trains through Joliet than there are on the CN Flint and South Bend Subdivisions.

:lol:

But seriously, this link will be of service to you: https://blog.chicago-rail.info/p/joliet.html.

Have fun and be sure to post back with some photos and info about what you saw!

chapmaja
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by chapmaja »

GP30M4216 wrote:
Wed Nov 15, 2023 9:33 pm
:lol: At last check I believe there are more trains through Joliet than there are on the CN Flint and South Bend Subdivisions.

:lol:

But seriously, this link will be of service to you: https://blog.chicago-rail.info/p/joliet.html.

Have fun and be sure to post back with some photos and info about what you saw!
:lol: :lol:

penn central
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by penn central »

Back in 2009 I did 24 hours at Joliet it was Labor Day weekend I got 96 trains that's including all BNSF, UP, Iowa Interstate, and Metra I'm not at home I don't have the OS in front of me I know there was over 50 BNSF trains but back then the Metra went in front of the station on the old Rock Island. Oh and there was two CN movements on the old GM&O now CN.

Blaze06
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Blaze06 »

Joliet is and always is a major hotspot. I’ve been there a good handful of times and it does not disappoint! BNSF is the king due to the amount of intermodal (and occasional autorack) movements on the Chilli. The UP is pretty mid but I can guarantee at least one or two Intermodals (since that’s the all the Joliet sub really gets) depending on when you go. As far as the old rock island goes, all Iowa interstate movements run late at night in order to not conflict with metra trains. However, BICB (WB) normally leaves Blue Island around 7pmish and that’s really all I know about movements on that line. CSX does run on the line too but who knows for how long considering they run at night asw and their lease of the line is almost up. Hopefully this helps!
Here’s my channel! Take a look if you want! 8)
https://youtube.com/channel/UCu8Qs-E8QInEwg-Po4zXLmQ

And just for the hell of it my Flickr page!
https://www.flickr.com/photos/197054142@N06/

NickThatRailfan
Railroadfan...fan

Blaze06 wrote:
Fri Nov 17, 2023 9:11 am
Joliet is and always is a major hotspot. I’ve been there a good handful of times and it does not disappoint! BNSF is the king due to the amount of intermodal (and occasional autorack) movements on the Chilli. The UP is pretty mid but I can guarantee at least one or two Intermodals (since that’s the all the Joliet sub really gets) depending on when you go. As far as the old rock island goes, all Iowa interstate movements run late at night in order to not conflict with metra trains. However, BICB (WB) normally leaves Blue Island around 7pmish and that’s really all I know about movements on that line. CSX does run on the line too but who knows for how long considering they run at night asw and their lease of the line is almost up. Hopefully this helps!

I did watch a video on Joliet and someone saw an Iowa Interstate train coming through there in plain daylight

SD80MAC
Ingersoll's Mr. Michigan

Unread post by SD80MAC »

NickThatRailfan wrote:
Sat Nov 18, 2023 10:42 am
Blaze06 wrote:

I did watch a video on Joliet and someone saw an Iowa Interstate train coming through there in plain daylight
IAIS runs a day job through there once in a while.
"Remember, 4 mph is a couple, 5's a collision!"
http://flickriver.com/photos/conrail680 ... teresting/

NickThatRailfan
Railroadfan...fan

SD80MAC wrote:
Sat Nov 18, 2023 11:09 am
NickThatRailfan wrote:
Sat Nov 18, 2023 10:42 am
Blaze06 wrote:

IAIS runs a day job through there once in a while.
Thanks for letting me know