CSX Porter Branch

Anything pertaining to railfanning in Indiana.
MQT1223
O Scale Railfanner

CSX Porter Branch

Unread post by MQT1223 »

Anyone have an idea on what CSX runs on the Porter branch? I know it’s not a lot, but after checking out the diamond at Portage where it crosses the Garrett Sub and seeing the connection with the branch I figured maybe there might be an additional train or two that doesn’t run up to Porter and instead takes the branch up or down to Portage?
1223 OUT! President and Founder of the Buck Creek Central, the Rolling River Route! (2012-2017) President and Founder of the Lamberton Valley Railroad, The Tin Plate Road! Proudly railfanning with Asperger's since 1996. :)

SD80MAC
Ingersoll's Mr. Michigan

Re: CSX Porter Branch

Unread post by SD80MAC »

The only train CSX runs up to Porter is a local that works the steel distributor south of the NS. That's the only CSX train that runs north of Willow Creek, everything else are trains to and from the NS.
"Remember, 4 mph is a couple, 5's a collision!"
http://flickriver.com/photos/conrail680 ... teresting/

Saturnalia
Authority on Cat

Unread post by Saturnalia »

SD80MAC wrote:
Tue Feb 22, 2022 4:32 pm
The only train CSX runs up to Porter is a local that works the steel distributor south of the NS. That's the only CSX train that runs north of Willow Creek, everything else are trains to and from the NS.
It's been a long time since I've seen NS send anything that way, and the rails are quite rusty - indicative of just the lite engine CSX sometimes sends up past 482 to complete a run-around.

I think the BNSF/NS shifted their interchange somewhere else, but I haven't read to where, or figured it out.
Thornapple River Rail Series - YouTube
Safety today is your investment for tomorrow

MQT1223
O Scale Railfanner

Unread post by MQT1223 »

Saturnalia wrote:
Tue Feb 22, 2022 5:39 pm
SD80MAC wrote:
It's been a long time since I've seen NS send anything that way, and the rails are quite rusty - indicative of just the lite engine CSX sometimes sends up past 482 to complete a run-around.

I think the BNSF/NS shifted their interchange somewhere else, but I haven't read to where, or figured it out.
I happened to catch that move by sheer luck when I chased the 3194 to the end of the GR Sub. I never saw anything before or after that. I don't understand what CSX sees in this line. They can't even get to it without a time consuming reverse move off the GR Sub or using the connector at Portage.
1223 OUT! President and Founder of the Buck Creek Central, the Rolling River Route! (2012-2017) President and Founder of the Lamberton Valley Railroad, The Tin Plate Road! Proudly railfanning with Asperger's since 1996. :)

SD80MAC
Ingersoll's Mr. Michigan

Unread post by SD80MAC »

Historically, CSX and NS (and Conrail before either of them) have utilized the Porter Branch for trains going to the IHB, as it provides a more direct route to Gibson Yard. NS also would utilize the full length of the line all the way to Streator, IL by way of Kankakee, for a direct connection with BNSF.
"Remember, 4 mph is a couple, 5's a collision!"
http://flickriver.com/photos/conrail680 ... teresting/

twropr
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by twropr »

I wish Amtrak and the state of IN would negotiate a deal with NS to persuade them to route all trains to/from the IHB and/or western connections with the Porter Branch so that there would not be so much congestion on the Chicago Line west of Porter delaying Amtrak. IN did not get its money's worth a few years ago when it got an ARRA grant to add tracks and crossovers between Burns Harbor and Hammond, with the goal of making the line more fluid.
Andy

Saturnalia
Authority on Cat

Unread post by Saturnalia »

twropr wrote:
Mon Feb 28, 2022 6:20 pm
IN did not get its money's worth a few years ago when it got an ARRA grant to add tracks and crossovers between Burns Harbor and Hammond, with the goal of making the line more fluid.
They did for awhile. Then NS consolidated dispatchers to Atlanta - causing massive brain drain - and began relying on AutoRouter to lead dispatching decisions. The result: a railroad with fewer trains now runs like traffic doubled.

The dispatching system does not seem to care at all about Amtrak being higher priority, and it is common for them to get held up routinely when there are obvious holes that a skilled, seasoned dispatcher would be able to open up and slide them through.
Thornapple River Rail Series - YouTube
Safety today is your investment for tomorrow

sd70accsxt700
Sofa King follower

Unread post by sd70accsxt700 »

CSX runs M200, M353, B??? (Coal to ???), and the C600 series coal for Indiana Harbor. This is all south/west of Willow Creek. There is also Y1?? that a few times a week, at least runs to Willow Creek from East Chicago, shoves around the connection to the branch, and heads north with steel coil cars. If there is major congestion around Barr Yard or elsewhere, you will once in a great while get one of the I trains running the branch.
https://flic.kr/ps/jSuAb My Flickr photos!

NSSD70ACe
The Conrail Guru

Unread post by NSSD70ACe »

Saturnalia wrote:
Tue Feb 22, 2022 5:39 pm
SD80MAC wrote:

NS/BNSF interchange for unit trains is Cicero. Same with CSX as far as I know. Believe CN is at Eola. Standard merch usually runs via the BRC to be reclassified or occasionally the NS will bring over what turns into an H-NSINTW and it goes to the twin cities.

Intermodal trains go through Ashland for NS, 71st Street for CSX. CSX is always an EB move, no WB.
:roll:

the contents of the above post are my opinion and mine alone, and do not necessarily reflect the views of my employer.