South Shore Double Track

Anything pertaining to railfanning in Indiana.
justalurker66
Railroadfan...fan

South Shore Double Track

Unread post by justalurker66 »

The beginning is near ...
11th St Michigan City station closing for utility work and the construction of the parking structure and new station.
Last train stops May 1st (overnight Friday at 2:18am CDT) ... next train stops at double track platform after construction.

Service Advisory - Michigan City 11th Street Station Closure

The South Shore Line advises passengers that the Michigan City 11th Street Station and parking lots will be CLOSED for an extended period of time effective Saturday, May 1, 2021.

The 11th Street Station closure will be in effect to help facilitate pre-construction third-party utility work and the Double Track NWI construction project (https://www.doubletrack-nwi.com/), which will substantially decrease travel times to and from Chicago.

As part of Double Track, the 11th Street Station will be reconstructed to include a multi-story station/parking/retail building, new high-level platforms, and track improvements. The closure is expected to last approximately two-and-a-half years, until the end of Double Track construction.

As an alternative to 11th Street, the Michigan City Carroll Avenue Station will remain open and in service throughout the Double Track project.

justin_gram
Authority on Rabbit

Re: South Shore Double Track

Unread post by justin_gram »

https://www.wndu.com/2021/09/27/train-s ... igan-city/

Looks like the demolition around 11th Street has begun today. Now a possible 10 story building?

Saturnalia
Authority on Cat

Unread post by Saturnalia »

justin_gram wrote:
Mon Sep 27, 2021 10:28 pm
https://www.wndu.com/2021/09/27/train-s ... igan-city/

Looks like the demolition around 11th Street has begun today. Now a possible 10 story building?
Demolition is ongoing on both 10th and 11th Streets. Soon a contractor will begin removing the facade on the old station for reuse on the new building, whatever it turns out to be.
Thornapple River Rail Series - YouTube
Safety today is your investment for tomorrow

justalurker66
Railroadfan...fan

It has been a while since I posted an update, but yes. Few houses are left on the south side of 10th St and about half of the houses on 11th St that are going are gone. The old church on the curve is flat land. There seem to be a few residents still in their homes.

justalurker66
Railroadfan...fan

One house left on the south side of 10th St. A few more left on 11th St but all but one building that will be taken is either gone or has a NICTD sign on it showing they have taken ownership.

Other than the church removal, the next biggest property is the station block. The facade of the station building has been removed for storage. I expect the entire block will be leveled soon. Only the former station building and former restaurant next door are standing on this block between 10th and 11th St.
Attachments
2021-12-19 MC Faceless.png

justalurker66
Railroadfan...fan

https://www.nwitimes.com/business/local ... d31da.html

Thanks to a state budget flush with cash and to federal pandemic-related assistance, the South Shore Line's Double Track project will include the complete list of upgrades originally envisioned for it, with activity ramping up as construction of it and the West Lake Corridor is set to begin in March.

The Double Track project will add a second set of tracks to single-track areas between Gary and Michigan City and upgrade stations and other infrastructure along the route, speeding the trip to Chicago and making service more frequent.

After higher-than-expected construction bids came in last year, NICTD shifted some parts of the project to "alternate" status but has reinstated those items, including high-level boarding platforms at Miller, Ogden Dunes and Michigan City and replacement of two bridges.

Saturnalia
Authority on Cat

If you want to shoot the streetrunning or anything between Dune Park and Carroll Ave in it’s current configuration, you will NEED to do so by the end of the month.

justalurker66
Railroadfan...fan

Have there been any street closures announced (other than the temporary one when the station building was taken down this week)? This week's lane closure seemed to catch the city off guard. Any permanent closure needs a lot more coordination.

I have been following a railroad overpass plan in Elkhart and there are already plans made public detailing the phasing of the road closures - including exactly what road closure and detour signs will be used at each intersection. It sounds like the City of Michigan City is looking for that level of detail from NICTD and its contractors. Sure they have the final plan of what 11th St will look like in 2024 - but they need to know what will be closed when.

Dan Cluley
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Dan Cluley »

Is the double track going to include the stretch from Michigan Blvd to Carroll?

I haven't seen any info about street closures or building demolition East of the street running, but maybe there's enough room on the existing ROW for another track?

justalurker66
Railroadfan...fan

The double track will end on 11th St just east of the curve before crossing Michigan Ave. The survey included extending two tracks to Carroll Ave but they decided to end the double track west of Michigan Ave.

After 11th St Station reopens with the Double Track the Carroll Ave station will be closed. I assume trains will still stop to let conductors off and to drop cars that are not going to South Bend (or add cars to westbound trains). But no passenger service at Carroll Ave after 2024.

Saturnalia
Authority on Cat

It does not currently sound like service to Carroll Ave will be discontinued when Double Track is complete.

All of the work in Michigan City on the railroad side of things will be completed in 2022, with 11th Street westbound permanently closing in just a few weeks and eastbound being closed most if not all of the summer. All streets that are being eliminated as through routes will close with WB 11th Street and all others will see intermittent closures. My understanding is that closures of cross streets is to be kept to a tight minimum.

The new Michigan City 11th Street station is a separate contract and the new headhouse and parking garage in particular many not be finished for a few years but the trackage will be done in ‘22.

And yes, the double track will end just short of the Boulevard. However, with revenue service being busstitued between Carroll and Dune Park most of the summer, the “dead zone” is effectively all the way to Carroll.

Dan Cluley
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Dan Cluley »

Thanks for the update. I spent a couple of days last year, and got most of the street running shots I wanted, so maybe this will encourage me to focus on some other parts of the line.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MMySpOcIYY4&t=4s

justalurker66
Railroadfan...fan

Saturnalia wrote:
Mon Feb 07, 2022 12:32 am
It does not currently sound like service to Carroll Ave will be discontinued when Double Track is complete.
I was referring to the 2024 completion of the project when all the stations will be complete.
Saturnalia wrote:
Mon Feb 07, 2022 12:32 am
The new Michigan City 11th Street station is a separate contract and the new headhouse and parking garage in particular many not be finished for a few years but the trackage will be done in ‘22.
Right. The project is broken up into several contracts. When 11th St station fully reopens Carroll Ave closes. I see no reason for that to change.

justalurker66
Railroadfan...fan

Signs are up at both ends of 11th St announcing portions of the street closed effective February 28th.

I got a few pictures today and noted that there are only three houses (all vacant and boarded up) that need to be cleared in Michigan City. Two commercial properties on 10th St need to be partially demolished/cleared.

It appears all the needed property in Miller have been cleared - and someone has put up "road closed" barriers where US 12 was removed at the west end where it merged with US 20. My last trips through Miller there were no barriers but there were tracks where cars had gone straight through the four way stop into the removed section of road. Please update your GPS. :)

The wiggle in US 12 where it goes around the land set aside for the future layover yard is sharp. Hopefully it doesn't catch people off guard.

Saturnalia
Authority on Cat

This:
justalurker66 wrote:
Mon Feb 21, 2022 12:34 am
My last trips through Miller there were no barriers but there were tracks where cars had gone straight through the four way stop into the removed section of road. Please update your GPS. :)
Is why I fret about this:
justalurker66 wrote:
Mon Feb 21, 2022 12:34 am
The wiggle in US 12 where it goes around the land set aside for the future layover yard is sharp. Hopefully it doesn't catch people off guard.
And yes it looked like Gary had to tow multiple people who tried to make it through during the snowstorms. People never really stopped driving through there, judging by all the tire marks left ever since they ripped out the old road.

That being said, there have been TWO vehicles that have departed US12 between Miller and Ogden Dunes in just the last two weeks that struck catenary poles and suspended South Shore service. And, several more in recent months in the same stretch, that just didn't hit anything. You've gotta watch out driving around there. Lake/Porter County Line and US 12 is a hairy intersection, too!

justalurker66
Railroadfan...fan

There seemed to be a gap a few weeks ago where the state was no longer clearing the former US 12 between Clay St and Lake St and the city had not taken up the task. It was better when I went through this weekend. The city may need to place jersey barriers until people learn that the road isn't there.

justalurker66
Railroadfan...fan

Posted ... 24x7 bus schedule starting 2/28. Train connecting busing between Carroll Ave and Dune Park. Loop bus between Carroll Ave and Dune Park with stops near 11th St and at Beverly Shores (not train scheduled).
220221-Bus Notice.jpg
220221-Bus Schedule.jpg

DaveO
Read more, think more, post less

Unread post by DaveO »

How will train sets make it to the shops?

Saturnalia
Authority on Cat

DaveO wrote:
Tue Feb 22, 2022 6:51 am
How will train sets make it to the shops?
Most equipment will be staged and serviced at Dune Park.

Jochs
Iron Horse Whisperer

Unread post by Jochs »

I noticed on Sunday that 11th St. Station and the Mexican Restaurant next door to it are now gone.
DSC_0240.JPG
Jeff O.
Celebrating 11 years dial-up free!

(18:36:45) MagnumForce: Railfanning is way more fun when you stop caring about locomotives and signals
(19:11:29) cbehr91: I can't believe I'm +1ing Brent but +1