Porter Junction rail project finally gets green light

Anything pertaining to railfanning in Indiana.
Saturnalia
Authority on Cat

Re: Porter Junction rail project finally gets green light

Unread post by Saturnalia »

justin_gram wrote:
MQT3001 wrote:Are the intermediate lights at IN 49 still there? Or were those removed with the advent of this new control point?
CP 479 should be now just like the signals at Grey. The eb and wb are spaced apart and the interlocking s are in the middle. They are now Absolute. I have no clue how close they are to the bridge now.
I know all that...that wasn't my question. I'm just wondering if they kept the intermediates by Indiana 49 in Chesterton, or just made a longer three-mile block out of it.
Thornapple River Rail Series - YouTube
Safety today is your investment for tomorrow

justin_gram
Authority on Rabbit

Unread post by justin_gram »

Sorry Alex... Still signals and the interlocking should be a little east of bridge like before. Same signals as before are still being called separately, no merging the blocks together. So yeah, signals should be still around the same spot, just not intermediate anymore, now absolute.

justin_gram wrote:It probably is like that, but I have no idea. If anyone is able to go look (which is hard withount tresspassing) please do. Probably the best spot would be looking west at CR-250 E or N Calumet Ave looking east, but have a good zoom lense since these are still far from the CP.

justalurker66 wrote:
justin_gram wrote:(5 minutes later) EDIT - Yes, there is also a crossover for eatsbounds to go from 1 to 2/westbounds 2 to 1. A test train B01 (light power) just went over it eastbound from main 1 to 2 at 42 MPH and will be stopping and reversing back through for another test.
So ... headed westbound, is the crossover from 1-2 first or the crossover from 2-1? I believe it is 1-2 then 2-1 westbound (although no train would be routed through both switches) but the weather kuept me away from verifying the layout this weekend.
Here is the view from a brand new ATCS update.
Attachments
CP 479 interlocking
CP 479 interlocking

Saturnalia
Authority on Cat

Oh, looks like there are two blocks in there between 482 and 479...based on ATCS. But, perhaps whomever keeps that just put those in there to make it look like two but it is really one.

These are the old ones I was talking about:
https://www.google.com/maps/@41.6093094 ... a=!3m1!1e3

If it is CP 479.3, then it is just to the west of here:
https://www.google.com/maps/@41.6077202 ... a=!3m1!1e3

Not quite sure what to think now...since nobody seems to have any pictures it make this difficult.

CSX_CO
Over and Out

Unread post by CSX_CO »

MQT3001 wrote:Oh, looks like there are two blocks in there between 482 and 479...based on ATCS. But, perhaps whomever keeps that just put those in there to make it look like two but it is really one.
Dispatcher screens like ATCS don't indicate where the intermediate signals are, nor the actual 'block' lengths between them.

Practice Safe CSX

justin_gram
Authority on Rabbit

CSX_CO wrote:
MQT3001 wrote:Oh, looks like there are two blocks in there between 482 and 479...based on ATCS. But, perhaps whomever keeps that just put those in there to make it look like two but it is really one.
Dispatcher screens like ATCS don't indicate where the intermediate signals are, nor the actual 'block' lengths between them.

Practice Safe CSX
Right, ATCS could have any amount of blocks between signals, just to help us know the location better. I won't be in Porter until the 1st week of April.

justalurker66
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by justalurker66 »

The extra blocks east of 479 threw me off ... the AEA and BEA blocks turn on at the same time as the 1EA and 2EA blocks for eastbound trains. Then the 1EA or 2EA block clears. Then the AEA or BEA blocks clear. The same behavior is noted on the AWA and BWA blocks from the next CP to the east.

1EA and 2EA at 479 show the same indications as 1WA and 2WA at 482, respectively.
The "X" indications for those do not always come up at the same time ... Is that because CP 482 is controlled by Chicago West and CP 479 is controlled by Chicago East? Or did the dispatcher handoff move east?

rob46580
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by rob46580 »

Here is 479 before switches were in, notice the signal bridge is ready for a 3rd track from the west.(view looking west)
The intermediates in distance are gone, and the ones east of the interlocking were moved down by the detector months ago, for a short time only 1 was moved for 1 track.
Attachments
CP479small.jpg

Saturnalia
Authority on Cat

Third track, eh? Ambitious they are. But hey, they'll need that if they're gonna be running 200 movements a day!

twropr
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by twropr »

Is CP 479 in service yet?

Thanks!

Andy
Jacksonville, FL

Saturnalia
Authority on Cat

twropr wrote:Is CP 479 in service yet?

Thanks!

Andy
Jacksonville, FL
Last page:
justin_gram wrote:I'm guessing this is part of this project, but just today trains are starting to use a new crossover at CP 479. I'm not certain if there is one for eastbound trains to move from 1 to 2/westbounds 2 to 1, but their is one for eastbounds to move from 2 to 1/westbounds to move from 1 to 2. This is a limited speed (40-45 MPH) switch. I will update as soon as I get more info.

Signals in both directions on both tracks are now ABSOLUTE.

(5 minutes later) EDIT - Yes, there is also a crossover for eatsbounds to go from 1 to 2/westbounds 2 to 1. A test train B01 (light power) just went over it eastbound from main 1 to 2 at 42 MPH and will be stopping and reversing back through for another test.

justin_gram
Authority on Rabbit

MQT3001 wrote:
twropr wrote:Is CP 479 in service yet?

Thanks!

Andy
Jacksonville, FL
Last page:
justin_gram wrote:I'm guessing this is part of this project, but just today trains are starting to use a new crossover at CP 479. I'm not certain if there is one for eastbound trains to move from 1 to 2/westbounds 2 to 1, but their is one for eastbounds to move from 2 to 1/westbounds to move from 1 to 2. This is a limited speed (40-45 MPH) switch. I will update as soon as I get more info.

Signals in both directions on both tracks are now ABSOLUTE.

(5 minutes later) EDIT - Yes, there is also a crossover for eatsbounds to go from 1 to 2/westbounds 2 to 1. A test train B01 (light power) just went over it eastbound from main 1 to 2 at 42 MPH and will be stopping and reversing back through for another test.
So yep, CP 479 is in full service now.

So far I haven't seen the crossover ever used yet by any train on ATCS, at least since that test train. But yes, new signals are working and the crossovers are ready for trains to be lined over them.

Thanks a lot for the picture rob46580. I didn't think that the new CP 479 would be so far east from old CP 479. I'm guessing this was taken at (or near) CR 250?

I'm just asking for guesses on this question:
Dosent it seem like the WB signals would be on a cantilever like the EBs since they are planning on another track so they won't have to be moved over? It's easy to add another signal on that size of a cantilever, but is harder to move a signal in the ground. Or is the 3rd track going to merge into the other two tracks their? Just thoughts.

Saturnalia
Authority on Cat

There was no CP 479...just a "479" intermediate.

I assume they just ordered a three-track cantilever just in case, like you said, they want to extend the Porter Remote. I don't believe that this is in the plans right now, so I'm guessing they just wanted to be ready, and not have to delay the mainline in the future with replacing a whole cantilever.

rob46580
Railroadfan...fan

Long before we see that 3rd track go in there will be easy to see bridge work right next to Calumet Rd in town at Chesterton for that creek right next to the crossing.+

justalurker66
Railroadfan...fan

justin_gram wrote:So far I haven't seen the crossover ever used yet by any train on ATCS, at least since that test train. But yes, new signals are working and the crossovers are ready for trains to be lined over them.
I saw a few crossovers the week after it went live. I have not been watching lately.

A third track/siding running west of CP 479 would be a good idea.

justin_gram
Authority on Rabbit

justalurker66 wrote:
justin_gram wrote:So far I haven't seen the crossover ever used yet by any train on ATCS, at least since that test train. But yes, new signals are working and the crossovers are ready for trains to be lined over them.
I saw a few crossovers the week after it went live. I have not been watching lately.

A third track/siding running west of CP 479 would be a good idea.
I just started to notice this today, but does the eastbound signal at CP 479 on track #2 light up a clear, even when the dispatcher doesn't have anything lined through on your monitor too? I know some windows updates mess with the signals on the monitor, just checking to make sure it's not a bad update on my computer. Example pic below.
Attachments
image.jpg

Saturnalia
Authority on Cat

Could be a signal fleet...?

rob46580
Railroadfan...fan

I have noticed both signals seem to be fleeted a lot.

justalurker66
Railroadfan...fan

justin_gram wrote:I just started to notice this today, but does the eastbound signal at CP 479 on track #2 light up a clear, even when the dispatcher doesn't have anything lined through on your monitor too? I know some windows updates mess with the signals on the monitor, just checking to make sure it's not a bad update on my computer. Example pic below.
I have seen that and assumed that the dispatcher just cleared the eastbound early.

Unless the division point changed, CP 482 is Chicago West and east of CP 482 is Chicago East. I assume that CP 479 is Chicago East and the Chicago East dispatcher is setting that signal as clear to allow the next train to enter his/her territory without being delayed.

By the way ... I don't see the crossovers in the photo above. Do they match the screenshot (2-1 then 1-2) or are the two turnouts on track 2 closer to each other than the turnouts on track 1? Is there room for another turnout from track 2 to a siding before reaching the cantilever?

(It makes more sense to me to have a 1-2 then 2-1 crossover with a 2-3 (or 2 to siding) to be added to access Portage yard.)

Code: Select all

|             X
1---|---\-----/---|---1
    |    \   /
2---|---/-\-/-----|---2
    |  /          X
3-----/

rob46580
Railroadfan...fan

2015-02-27_142515.jpg
your diagram is correct for switch location, but no idea on future switch to siding,can go between or west of the other 2 crossovers, and just now checking atcs, theres nothing lined in the whole area!

Typhoon
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Typhoon »

justalurker66 wrote:
Unless the division point changed, CP 482 is Chicago West and east of CP 482 is Chicago East. I assume that CP 479 is Chicago East and the Chicago East dispatcher is setting that signal as clear to allow the next train to enter his/her territory without being delayed.

Signals are used to communicate to the dispatcher next to you without talking. Having a signal up says, "keep the train coming on this track".