Ohio Central sold to G&W?

Anything pertaining to railfanning in Ohio.
RailCanon
BANHAMMERED

Ohio Central sold to G&W?

Unread post by RailCanon »

Rumors are currently flying on Trainorders that the Ohio Central has been sold to Genessee and Wyoming by Jerry Jacobson. While no offical press release has been seen yet, this statement was posted in the TO discussion.
The word is official via an 8-1-08 letter from JJJ to the employees - sold to G&W.
If this is true, it may not bode well to the fleet of JJJ's steam locomotives, unless he remains with the company.
Lets hope its just a rumor.

LSRC
Flat River Rat

Unread post by LSRC »

Sorry Gregg, looks like it's true...

http://forums.railpictures.net/showthread.php?t=7968

AARR
Ann Arbor RR Nerd

Unread post by AARR »

The big shippers, which OC has a good number of, should be ok. But the smaller shippers will probably go away :( . It's just the way railroading is these days.
PatC created a monster, 'cause nobody wants to see Don Simon no more they want AARR I'm chopped liver, well if you want AARR this is what I'll give ya, bad humor mixed with irrelevant info that'll make you roll your eyes quicker than a ~Z~ banhammer...

penn central
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by penn central »

I guess i better get back to coshocton and newark ohio, havent been there in about 15 years. things have probably changed.

sd70accsxt700
Sofa King follower

Unread post by sd70accsxt700 »

But the smaller shippers will probably go away Sad
Why would you say that Don? The G&W is just a clomgomorate of shortlines like RA is.
https://flic.kr/ps/jSuAb My Flickr photos!

AARR
Ann Arbor RR Nerd

Unread post by AARR »

Matt, it seems to me as shortline conglomerates get bigger they operate more like Class 1's and less like shortlines. What's your observations?
PatC created a monster, 'cause nobody wants to see Don Simon no more they want AARR I'm chopped liver, well if you want AARR this is what I'll give ya, bad humor mixed with irrelevant info that'll make you roll your eyes quicker than a ~Z~ banhammer...

sd70accsxt700
Sofa King follower

Unread post by sd70accsxt700 »

In some respects yes, Don, but it seams that they usualy try to give the same customer service as before, as most of the people stay, even with a change of hands. Also they seam to know, that if they forget the little things they themselves will be forgoten.
https://flic.kr/ps/jSuAb My Flickr photos!

AARR
Ann Arbor RR Nerd

Unread post by AARR »

Matt, it's the "in some respects" that I'm referring too. However, I don't have data to support my "impression" so I'll have to defer to your better position of observations.

If we were talking about independently owned shortlines I'd be 100% in agreement with you that they go after every carload they can get.

GLC 392
TSBY/GLC KID

Unread post by GLC 392 »

i guess i better stop there in August for sure.

GTW6401
how bout no

Unread post by GTW6401 »

Im not sure how reliable that information is from the railpictures.net forums. The kid that started that post seems to be a bit out there from the stuff he posts.

RailCanon
BANHAMMERED

Unread post by RailCanon »

It's official. G&W put out the press release this morning. $219 Million deal.

mikerm19
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by mikerm19 »

I read some articles on it, but nothing has been said about the steam program, and how they are exactly going to run.

A couple questions I have:
Are they leaving the Ohio Central company in tact (as a child company), or are they going to absorb them in?
What's going to happen to the steam program?

I never got a chance to go see them or anything, but I have done a lot of research and resume submitting.
Mike
http://www.mitrain.net Come see us!