Toledo Terminal Remains and area questions.

Anything pertaining to railfanning in Ohio.
chapmaja
Railroadfan...fan

Toledo Terminal Remains and area questions.

Unread post by chapmaja »

I am looking at Google Maps and trying to follow the Toledo Terminal Lines around Toledo.

Starting at the enterance to Temperance Yard and heading west, the line has been removed going from this point down onto the campus of UT. (Douglass and Dorr Rds) On the campus of UT, the removed line used to cross a diamond of what I presume was the Conrail Branch from Toledo to Clinton, Mi. Just south of this point, the line is intact from just south of where the diamond was to just north of the NS (ex-Conrail Mainline). There is a connection between this line and the NS main going into Airline Yard. This is the NS line to access the Ottawa Lake Grain elevator if I am not mistaken. At the south end of this segment, there is access to two customers, A&K Railroad and another company.

Who actually owns this remaining segment of the TT? Was it sold to Conrail / NS by CSX?

Continuing south from where the TT cross the Conrail line, there appears to be tracks remaining from Airport Highway south to near Bowsher High school, but several sections are removed, so the remaining track is inaccessible. Was this line kept in place for a longer period to service what appears to be the only servicable customer on the line, Alro Steel, which has since had the switch and siding removed?

Continuing southbound, and then turning nprtheastbound, the railroad obviously used to cross the river just north of the Turnpike Bridge. When was this bridge removed? After following the B&O a short distance, the TT crossed the B&O near Bates and headed east. This line from Bates to the area between Stanley and Walbridge, then turning northbound on the east side of town up towards the docks, then turning northeast and then westward past the AA's yard and then across the north side of town to finish the circle all remains intact.

A few other questions remain about the area tracks.

The area of Walbridge and Stanley yards has changed the most. It appears that in 1933 (the date of the map I am looking at), the PRR had a yard north of the TT in Walbridge, it also appears that the NYC had two yard located north of the TT, north of Stanley, as well as having Stanley Yard. I know with different railroads there were likely multiple yards. What railroads had yards in the Walbridge area? C&O. NYC, PRR? Anyone else in that area as well?

Finally, what was the Bay Terminal Railway, which appears to have had a line from off the TT to the Sun Oil Refinery?

jggilmore7
Railroadfan...fan

Re: Toledo Terminal Remains and area questions.

Unread post by jggilmore7 »

Off the top of my head, NYC had Stanley, Whitmore Yard just north of the TT crossing, and Oakdale Yard at the connection with the Chicago Line. PRR had its Outer Yard also just north of the TT in Walbridge (running about 20 trains a day up to PC merger) on their Toledo Branch, and the C&O of course had its big Walbridge hump right next door. With all the TT pullers, trains from the B&O (on the TT from Bates, esp. after the Chessie merger), PRR, NYC and C&O trains coming through, Walbridge was a very busy place back in the 60s and 70s...

JG