Single-tracking NS in Mansfield OH

Anything pertaining to railfanning in Ohio.
ohiopower
Railroadfan...fan

Single-tracking NS in Mansfield OH

Unread post by ohiopower »

Crossing Rt 13 in north Mansfield this past weekend, I noticed that the NS line (Pennsylvania) has been single-tracked at the crossing, and the Pennsylvania position light signal has been removed on one side, so would seem to be permanent. This is right where the old B&O diamond is (now Ashland Railway) so they will have an easier time with maintenance. Seemingly there has been a reduction in traffic on this line which connects to NS at COLSAN in Bucyrus? West of Bucyrus of course is CF&E which as been single-track since the downgrade in early 1990s.

Does anyone know what the extent of the single-tracking is east of COLSAN? Kind of a bummer to see this, but if the traffic is lighter.....

MSchwiebert
Railroadfan...fan

Re: Single-tracking NS in Mansfield OH

Unread post by MSchwiebert »

https://1812blockhouse.com/business-pol ... mansfield/
Says 32.6 miles of track taken out of service, but it doesn't clarify the beginning & end points. As for traffic being down, that is definitely the case. In Conrail days going from Columbus to Pittsburgh via Crestline made a lot of sense, but with NS closing Buckeye yard and expanding the yard in Bellevue, it makes more sense to have freight from the south go to Bellevue to get classified and then go to Sandusky and on to Pittsburgh. The oil trains from the western railroads via Fort Wayne were a short lived thing (as has been Oil by Rail generally speaking).

penn central
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by penn central »

Back in 2013 my company had me spend two weeks in Mansfield they put me up in a motel for two weeks oh trust me I had taken my cameras and thank goodness I did I got many photos of the mainline from Crestline to Alliance and Bucyrus to Crestline.

DT&I
Commodore Perry

Unread post by DT&I »

Mansfield to Crestline is being single tracked as well as Lucas to Loudonville. Rail is now being removed between those two points.
I'm just here to put in time claims and complain

ohiopower
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by ohiopower »

On Google Maps, appears there were sections of triple-track between Loudonville/Perrysville and up to Lucas. Quite a wide ROW going down to a single line.

DaveO
Read more, think more, post less

Unread post by DaveO »

ohiopower wrote:
Wed Apr 10, 2024 9:40 pm
On Google Maps, appears there were sections of triple-track between Loudonville/Perrysville and up to Lucas. Quite a wide ROW going down to a single line.
curiosity kicked in
google maps show that siding already disconnected and in the process of being removed

edit: wonder if they will leave a siding there since they had that one before