Train Traffic in Findlay, OH

Anything pertaining to railfanning in Ohio.
NickThatRailfan
Railroadfan...fan

Train Traffic in Findlay, OH

Unread post by NickThatRailfan »

So when I went to Deshler we stayed in Findlay and I know there is a diamond there and that CSX, NS and a shortline run through Findlay how many trains would you say go through Findlay on a good day?

redside20
i don't give a fark about your PM

Re: Train Traffic in Findlay, OH

Unread post by redside20 »

NickThatRailfan wrote:
Fri Oct 13, 2023 5:02 pm
So when I went to Deshler we stayed in Findlay and I know there is a diamond there and that CSX, NS and a shortline run through Findlay how many trains would you say go through Findlay on a good day?

Umm well, if i can discipher through this run on sentence, id be happy to help you out. About the shortline, if your referring to the line that runs diagonally through town from northeast to southwest that is actually an NS operated line known as the LIma DIstrict which NS holds on to because of the important LIma connections and the husky refinery there, the grain elevators at darn and West Findlay and Cooper tire in findlay. the CSX line that runs on a north south direction indeed does run through town and has several plastics customers they switch on each side of town. NS sees 2-4 locals a day and most of them operate at night and look for an occasional unit grain train out of Beaverdam or West Findlay. Not sure if NS still bases a local out of findlay but they do have a yard job in lima and in fostoria where most of these locals originate. CSX sees maybe 3-6 trains a day and it does see unit grain trains. If you were referring to the ns line that passes to the north of findlay in an east west direction that the ns mainline of the fostoria district which sees from 5-13 trains a day. this line meets up with the lima district at arcadia between findlay and fostoria and that is where the lima distric locals are based.
Exit stage left

NickThatRailfan
Railroadfan...fan

Re: Train Traffic in Findlay, OH

Unread post by NickThatRailfan »

redside20 wrote:
Fri Oct 13, 2023 5:39 pm
NickThatRailfan wrote:
Fri Oct 13, 2023 5:02 pm

Umm well, if i can discipher through this run on sentence, id be happy to help you out. About the shortline, if your referring to the line that runs diagonally through town from northeast to southwest that is actually an NS operated line known as the LIma DIstrict which NS holds on to because of the important LIma connections and the husky refinery there, the grain elevators at darn and West Findlay and Cooper tire in findlay. the CSX line that runs on a north south direction indeed does run through town and has several plastics customers they switch on each side of town. NS sees 2-4 locals a day and most of them operate at night and look for an occasional unit grain train out of Beaverdam or West Findlay. Not sure if NS still bases a local out of findlay but they do have a yard job in lima and in fostoria where most of these locals originate. CSX sees maybe 3-6 trains a day and it does see unit grain trains. If you were referring to the ns line that passes to the north of findlay in an east west direction that the ns mainline of the fostoria district which sees from 5-13 trains a day. this line meets up with the lima district at arcadia between findlay and fostoria and that is where the lima distric locals are based.

Thank you I aslo have a another location I would like to know about and thats Leipsic, OH I know the NS Fostoria District runs through there and you said about 5-13 trains on the Fostoria District and I know the CSX Toledo Sub in Leipsic gets around 15-20 so maybe 30ish trains a day in Leipsic?