NS Chicago line Camping

Anything pertaining to railfanning in Ohio.
Micah_D
The Railroad Empire

NS Chicago line Camping

Unread post by Micah_D »

Hello all,
I am planning a weekend trip down to Ohio/Indiana to Railfan the Chicago line. I was wondering if anyone might know of a trackside place where my self and a buddy of mine could pitch a tent and watch trains for the weekend. We were hoping for something similar to deshler where there is a bathroom and electrical. If any of you may know of a spot please let me know.

Thanks,
Micah

David Collins
Youtube Railfan Guru

Re: NS Chicago line Camping

Unread post by David Collins »

Micah_D wrote:
Tue Oct 25, 2022 1:16 pm
Hello all,
I am planning a weekend trip down to Ohio/Indiana to Railfan the Chicago line. I was wondering if anyone might know of a trackside place where my self and a buddy of mine could pitch a tent and watch trains for the weekend. We were hoping for something similar to deshler where there is a bathroom and electrical. If any of you may know of a spot please let me know.

Thanks,
Micah
Your best bet would probably be Chesterton, I feel like they had an electrical hookup there since my dad and I parked our RV there last year. There's a gas station nearby for a bathroom, but other than that, I can't think of anywhere else.

~Z~
Sofa King Admin

Unread post by ~Z~ »

Dunno where in Chesterton that they are cool with you pitching a tent though...
In Kendalville, there's the Bixler Lake Campground that's less than 1/2 mile south of the tracks that would be an easy walk to watch, setup tent, bathrooms, and electric there.
Otherwise I setup a tent before in Butler IN during one of our meets there. CAPT CAPS from here called the police ahead of time and got their ok to let us setup camp at the park for the night. They had an electric plug but I don't recall the bathrooms, it's been a bit.
Webmaster
Railroad photos on Railroadfan.com

David Collins
Youtube Railfan Guru

Unread post by David Collins »

~Z~ wrote:
Tue Oct 25, 2022 1:46 pm
I feel like the people at Riley's Jailhouse would be ok with it because they were fine with me and my dad parking our RV in the lot, like I said, I'm not sure about it.

Micah_D
The Railroad Empire

Unread post by Micah_D »

~Z~ wrote:
Tue Oct 25, 2022 1:46 pm
In Kendalville, there's the Bixler Lake Campground that's less than 1/2 mile south of the tracks that would be an easy walk to watch, setup tent, bathrooms, and electric there.
Otherwise I setup a tent before in Butler IN during one of our meets there. CAPT CAPS from here called the police ahead of time and got their ok to let us setup camp at the park for the night. They had an electric plug but I don't recall the bathrooms, it's been a bit.
I like this idea. What park did you guys camp in? If you have a Google maps pinpoint or something that would work too. I may do the same.

~Z~
Sofa King Admin

Unread post by ~Z~ »

I slept at Southside Park in Butler as I didn't want to sleep right next to the tracks so I could attempt to get an ounce of sleep :)
There's a baseball field just to the west of the library, and some grassy area near it.
If Butler doesn't ok it, I'd say just try a few other cities nearby, contact someone in their city division and see where might ok it. Heck, some church might allow it on their grounds.
Swanton and Wauseon both have parks next to the tracks that might be worth asking.
Webmaster
Railroad photos on Railroadfan.com