IORY (Delta, Metamora & Michigan operations)

Anything pertaining to railfanning in Ohio.
rail_watcher
Railroadfan...fan

IORY (Delta, Metamora & Michigan operations)

Unread post by rail_watcher »

I don’t know if this has already been discussed somewhere or not, but I live in southern Michigan near the IORY line. I have many questions about this line. From what I can tell, they have a daily run north and back south (does it have its own train symbol?) Where does this train originate from and where does it run to? What are their customers other than the elevator in Metemora and interchange with the ADBF? Any other random info for this run would also be appreciated. Thanks in advance!

AARR
Ann Arbor RR Nerd

Re: IORY (Delta, Metamora & Michigan operations)

Unread post by AARR »

There is a crew stationed in Delta, OH. Last I heard they go on duty around 6am. They handle all local switching duties (the huge steel mill is the major customer) and run north to Flat Rock around three times a week switching ADBF interchange at Riga and if there is a big block of cars they will pick up/set out the ADBF interchange at Petersburg Siding a few miles to the north. On the days they go to Flat Rock (I'm not sure which days?) they seem to arrive at Flat Rock late morning and depart south a couple hours later.

They interchange with ADBF inbound carbon dioxide. Some other stuff that is or was interchanged included occasional inbound fertilizer, inbound lumber and outbound wheat from MAC.

I do not know how IORY switches The Anderson's in Metamora but back in the GTW days they would spot 100 cars there, the elevator would load the first 70, then GTW would move the cars around so the elevator could load the last 30, then GTW would pull all 100.
PatC created a monster, 'cause nobody wants to see Don Simon no more they want AARR I'm chopped liver, well if you want AARR this is what I'll give ya, bad humor mixed with irrelevant info that'll make you roll your eyes quicker than a ~Z~ banhammer...

MSchwiebert
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by MSchwiebert »

The elevator in Metamora will still ship out grain trains, but not nearly to the extent that it did prior to being purchased by the Anderson's. For trains going to destinations on CSX, the empties are handed off to IORY at Cairo and the CSX power stays with the train. The elevator uses a former GTW GP18 to move the cars during loading. Not sure what is interchanged at Riga, but there hasn't been a grain train from the Blissfield elevator handed off to the IORY in quite some time.

AARR
Ann Arbor RR Nerd

Unread post by AARR »

MAC loads/used to load 10 car blocks of wheat for someone located on IORY. I don't know if they still do or not.
MSchwiebert wrote:
Sun Apr 17, 2022 6:27 pm
Not sure what is interchanged at Riga, but there hasn't been a grain train from the Blissfield elevator handed off to the IORY in quite some time.
PatC created a monster, 'cause nobody wants to see Don Simon no more they want AARR I'm chopped liver, well if you want AARR this is what I'll give ya, bad humor mixed with irrelevant info that'll make you roll your eyes quicker than a ~Z~ banhammer...

GP30M4216
Saver of all History

Unread post by GP30M4216 »

A400 is the southbound train from Flat Rock. A401 is the northbound. Three days a week is what I’ve read elsewhere, and I’ve seen reports recently that one of those days Is often Saturday. Does I&O still do any interchange with the AA at Diann Jct? The SE wye was typically used for the now non-running CN trains from Flat Rock heading to Ohio, but the NW wye track had been used for interchange in the past.

Some more consistent reporting from this line would be awesome! Those trains don’t move super fast, but because no road actually parallels their route, it’s hard to catch them.
Last edited by GP30M4216 on Fri Apr 22, 2022 4:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.

AARR
Ann Arbor RR Nerd

Unread post by AARR »

Last I heard they interchange infrequently and the few cars they exchange include fertilizer and soymeal
GP30M4216 wrote:
Fri Apr 22, 2022 3:14 pm
Does I&O still do any interchange with the AA at Diann Jct?