Looking for railfan spots near Madison, Ohio

Anything pertaining to railfanning in Ohio.
PrairieKnight
Railroadfan...fan

Looking for railfan spots near Madison, Ohio

Unread post by PrairieKnight »

I will be traveling to my cottage in North Madison, Ohio next week. I like to drive over to Ashtabula, Ohio and watch any rail movements around the harbor near the lake boat docks. The vantage point I use is on the hill above the harbor next to the museum. However, I never see much train movement when I am there. Does anyone know of any good railfan spots in the area from Painesville to Ashtabula? Any place where I can see some switching operations would be great. I do not live to far from Elkhart, Indiana and I am spoiled after watching the rail traffic as it passes the New York Central train museum.

David Collins
Youtube Railfan Guru

Re: Looking for railfan spots near Madison, Ohio

Unread post by David Collins »

I’d say painesville is probably your best bet. I haven’t been there much but the CSX is pretty busy.
Ferris State University’s Train Guy

Youtube: Michigan Railfan Films

Flickr: David R. Collins

SC: daveeed1k

lakeshoredave
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by lakeshoredave »

Perry or any spot where you can see both CSX and NS.

PrairieKnight
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by PrairieKnight »

Just to follow up after my trip. I did find a neat spot to watch CSX in Ashtabula. On 32nd street west of Lake Street has interesting trackage including a diamond. I did not see many trains run through, I am guessing it depends on the day and time you are there. I did meet a local rail fan when I was at the bluff overlooking the harbor. He explained that the only traffic to come to the harbor is CSX to move mainly sand located in the center of the harbor. NS no longer comes up to the harbor since the coal industry left and the tracks on the west side of the harbor were removed. He also said that most of the CSX traffic that I would see on 32nd street is east bound headed towards Conneaut, Ohio. I did not find a good spot to railfan in Painesville. I will try that area again the next time over there.