Popular Railfanning locations in the Toledo area.

Anything pertaining to railfanning in Ohio.
rail_watcher
Railroadfan...fan

Popular Railfanning locations in the Toledo area.

Unread post by rail_watcher »

Hello, I am not sure if this is the correct forum to ask this question. Please correct me if I need to post elsewhere. I am interested in finding some new locations to take my young son to watch some trains in the Toledo area. We have been to Depot Park in Wauseon and we love it, but that is over an hour away from my house. Toledo is only about 20 minutes from me. Any info would greatly be appreciated!

jimnorthwood
Railroadfan...fan

Re: Popular Railfanning locations in the Toledo area.

Unread post by jimnorthwood »

Northwood, an eastern Toledo suburb. CSX and NS mainlines cross at Vickers Junction there. Absolutely no scenery whatsoever but a good, safe watching spot. The stub ends of three roads dead end into the tracks. Stay out of the parking lot of the car detailing place but park anywhere else around there. Fast food available on nearby Woodville Road. Enjoy!

rail_watcher
Railroadfan...fan

jimnorthwood wrote:
Thu Feb 11, 2021 5:25 pm
Northwood, an eastern Toledo suburb. CSX and NS mainlines cross at Vickers Junction there. Absolutely no scenery whatsoever but a good, safe watching spot. The stub ends of three roads dead end into the tracks. Stay out of the parking lot of the car detailing place but park anywhere else around there. Fast food available on nearby Woodville Road. Enjoy!
Is this the location you are referring to?
Attachments
808BBC4D-A020-4FF5-AC25-E955E1C269CE.png

railrod1949
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by railrod1949 »

Another railfanning spot Milbury, OH just south east of Toledo. My best rail fan friend and I railfan there.

rail_watcher
Railroadfan...fan

Thank you, everyone!

jimnorthwood
Railroadfan...fan

rail_watcher, yes that is the location to which I was referring. Park anywhere else except there and nobody will bother you. And of course, stay off the tracks. The Northwood Police Department is just down the road but they are used to seeing railfans around there.

Micah_D
The Railroad Empire

Unread post by Micah_D »

railrod1949 wrote:
Thu Feb 11, 2021 6:26 pm
Another railfanning spot Milbury, OH just south east of Toledo. My best rail fan friend and I railfan there.
I do as well! They get a lot of trains there. I’ve never gone 30 minutes without seeing one. They get many heratige units and rare locomotives. It’s pretty nice for filming on not very sketchy

LVrrfan
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by LVrrfan »

If you want to try it out, Alexis Jct on the north side is a decent spot.....also, you can the foot bridge by the Amtrak station.

jimnorthwood
Railroadfan...fan

NS has posted new No Trespassing signs at the ends of the two stub end roads, Wales and Drouillard, that dead end into the Water Level Route in Northwood. I suspect folks have been setting up tripods on the right of way, although I don't know that for sure. NS police have been more actively patrolling the area as of late. Nobody minds if you park at the ends of the three stub roads (the west end of Wales Road dead ends shy of the CSX line) but please stay off both railroad rights of way, and out of the parking lot of the auto detailing business. The guy who runs the auto detailing business did tell me once he didn't mind if good behavior railfans sat on the picnic table he set up outside his business, on the edge of the parking lot. But I haven't tried my luck with regards to that...