Grand River Railway

Anything pertaining to railfanning in Ohio.
LansingRailFan
Railroadfan...fan

Grand River Railway

Unread post by LansingRailFan »

I found this video on YouTube. Are they still in operation?

https://youtu.be/4vqSgxgw9xc

AARR
Ann Arbor RR Nerd

Re: Grand River Railway

Unread post by AARR »

I don't know the answer but that is a cool video. Looks like they are delivering cars for scrap. Anyone know if that's correct? Where is the Grand River RR?
PatC created a monster, 'cause nobody wants to see Don Simon no more they want AARR I'm chopped liver, well if you want AARR this is what I'll give ya, bad humor mixed with irrelevant info that'll make you roll your eyes quicker than a ~Z~ banhammer...

TC Man
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by TC Man »

AARR wrote:
Mon Oct 26, 2020 8:25 am
I don't know the answer but that is a cool video. Looks like they are delivering cars for scrap. Anyone know if that's correct? Where is the Grand River RR?

Out of Grand River, Ohio to Painesville, Ohio, and yes very much active, running 3-5 days per week. Not delivering scrap, they serve a large Morton salt plant (loads out). They have a GP10-1 and a GP-40-2 with a slug as power now.

The CEO of Grand River Railway Terry Feichtenbiner was born and raised in Sparta, Michigan, worked for years at CSX and then Ohio Central. The VP is from Ohio Central as well (both were executives there). The owner, Tom Nord, is also from the Ohio Central.
CEO of the Waving Institute- teaching great wave forms.

AARR
Ann Arbor RR Nerd

Unread post by AARR »

Thank you TCMan. Do they have any other customers than Morton?
TC Man wrote:
Mon Oct 26, 2020 8:50 am
Out of Grand River, Ohio to Painesville, Ohio, and yes very much active, running 3-5 days per week. Not delivering scrap, they serve a large Morton salt plant (loads out). They have a GP10-1 and a GP-40-2 with a slug as power now.

The CEO of Grand River Railway Terry Feichtenbiner was born and raised in Sparta, Michigan, worked for years at CSX and then Ohio Central. The VP is from Ohio Central as well (both were executives there). The owner, Tom Nord, is also from the Ohio Central.
PatC created a monster, 'cause nobody wants to see Don Simon no more they want AARR I'm chopped liver, well if you want AARR this is what I'll give ya, bad humor mixed with irrelevant info that'll make you roll your eyes quicker than a ~Z~ banhammer...

TC Man
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by TC Man »

AARR wrote:
Mon Oct 26, 2020 8:59 am
Thank you TCMan. Do they have any other customers than Morton?
TC Man wrote:
Mon Oct 26, 2020 8:50 am

Not currently- They have done a few one-off shipments, but nothing steady. Looks like Morton keeps them pretty bust though. The one time I was through there and stumbled upon them, they had all 3 locos on a train working hard- didn't count cars after the first 40-some.

AARR
Ann Arbor RR Nerd

Unread post by AARR »

Morton has two short spurs into their yard. It looks like they can load perhaps 8-10 at a time. It would take multiple switches to load 40 cars. That would be cool to watch.
TC Man wrote:
Mon Oct 26, 2020 9:56 am
Not currently- They have done a few one-off shipments, but nothing steady. Looks like Morton keeps them pretty bust though. The one time I was through there and stumbled upon them, they had all 3 locos on a train working hard- didn't count cars after the first 40-some.

TC Man
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by TC Man »

They have a "yard" right by the plant as well, there were easily 50+ cars in there (main, a very long double ended siding, and another shorter double ended siding). That seems to be where they build their trains.

bluestreak81
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by bluestreak81 »

I’ve read a few rumors on Facebook that there has not been any movement on the GRRY in several months. They certainly have more active and less active times of the year when hauling salt. I would imagine late fall and winter would be slower. Anyone have any insight on this?