CSX scottslawn secondary

Anything pertaining to railfanning in Ohio.
Railfan_Modeler
Railroadfan...fan

Re: CSX scottslawn secondary

Unread post by Railfan_Modeler »

Extremely busy day on the Scottslawn. Started out with H708 coming north and switching scotts around 11:30am. H708 has to get into the siding about an hour later to let an X310 by with UP power, maybe this means Q310 was really early today but I’m not sure, for some reason they ran an extra one. Apparently a G991 ran as well according to a FB report. Q352 on the north end came down to shove into Honda and behind him a track inspector wanting track south. Q311 had already left parsons but the dispatcher couldn’t get a hold of him so she called parsons yard to call Q311 to answer the radio I believe. Q311 then went into the highway siding to wait on the southbound and H708. H708 left scotts and St. Marys in Marysville around 3:15pm and just got to Columbus looking to get into parsons yard. Q311 is going by Honda now with Q352 looking to get out behind him. Still at least two more trains yet to go tonight, Q146 and Q147.

Railfan_Modeler
Railroadfan...fan

Update, A G250 I believe it was met Q147 in Willis siding around 8:30pm. Q146 is probably still up on the Toledo Branch. Overall, including Y103 and the possible G991, that’s 8-9 trains on the Scottslawn. I also forgot to mention there’s been two N312’s the past couple of days.

Railfan_Modeler
Railroadfan...fan

A W996 traveled down the Scottslawn today. Had a GE turbine being handed to the Ohio Central. I missed it unfortunately as I was railfanning in Marion, of course those are my odds, something good runs on the line and I’m not there to see it. N312 also used the line today, as well as a G025 I believe. 3 extras today.

twropr
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by twropr »

Is the Scottslawn Sec still unsignaled with max speed 49 MPH?
Probably one of the busier TWC-dispatched lines in the US
Andy

Railfan_Modeler
Railroadfan...fan

Yep! That is correct. Only signals on the line are at major control points, such as CP Darby, and CP82 (Ridgeway). The other signals you may see on the line are distant signals for the spring switches located at the north end of two sidings on the line, and the switches that lead into Honda via the wye and lead track. They only show a red or green and give an oncoming train the indication of whether the spring switch is in normal position or reversed position. Recently, when heritage cooperative built a loop track at their new facility, they installed remote controlled switches to access the loop track, and there are signals there to show the position of the switch as well. So yes, it is unsignalled regarding train movement, but switch signals are scattered throughout the line. As for how many trains in a day, there is 8-9 scheduled trains a day, that is including one local, there is another Honda local but I’m not sure if it runs daily or not, plus whatever extra grain or coal trains run the line.

strugglin
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by strugglin »

I saw Q311 come north around 2pm with CSX 909 leading, then an extra came north 3pm right after, I didn't see it, but did hear a T601 loaded coal to IHB in Chicago, so that was probably it. Then around 7pm I heard another NB, it was E312/319 empty Duke coal train.

Railfan_Modeler
Railroadfan...fan

Possible that the CSX geometry train will run up both the Scottslawn Secondary and the Burt line tomorrow or this week sometime, both Geometry trains are currently in Columbus.

Railfan_Modeler
Railroadfan...fan

Supposedly the Geo train will only be going up the Burt Line, and the other down to Russel tomorrow, not the Scottslawn unfortunately.

strugglin
Railroadfan...fan

Sorry I haven't been posting many updates, but I did get Q311 earlier around 3pm had CSX 276 & 576, then a V025? just went north through Mounds at 4:50pm had CSX 34xx leader & 520 trailing, lots of cool Canadian grain cars, CP Pac Man, Soo Line, etc in the mix, PRMX markings, not sure of destination, swear they said G025 on the radio, but I don't think the train was loaded going north.

Railfan_Modeler
Railroadfan...fan

I can’t exactly remember what the symbol of that grain train was but I did hear it on the scanner and almost went out to get some pics of it. It’s destination was the Heritage Cooperative elevator in Marysville. They’ve been getting a few lately, that was the second in one week if I remember correctly. It could’ve been a G022.

strugglin
Railroadfan...fan

Again I haven't been posting much, but a very busy day on the Scottslawn, CSX just sent 3 trains north in the last hour, Q311 went through Mounds 2:45pm had AC4400 pair 98 & 6, next up was a V013 empty grain had ES44 x 2 in the 5xxx series went by 3:15pm, last up is an E312 just came through 3:45pm has 754 as the leader.

There is also an N312 somewhere coming south, not sure if it already reached Parsons or if its still up north in a siding.

Railfan_Modeler
Railroadfan...fan

Super busy day for the Scottslawn.
V900 nearing ridgeway
Q352 leaving Honda behind V900
E895 nearing Gar waiting on Q352
E312 leaving darby waiting on E895
E312 has to give back his track from camp to mounds because Q311 still has to run.

strugglin
Railroadfan...fan

I'll definitely be posting more now that its warm out, windows open I can hear trains from home.

Meant to post on Wednesday, CSX 530 led unit train 57 empty autoracks north through CP Mounds 6pm, I assume they were heading for Honda, but no idea what the train symbol was, or if these were autoracks coming out of storage somewhere down south maybe? As long as I lived off the Scottslawn, I've never seen any autorack trains south of Marysville.

Also see the CSX 1 Spirit of West Virginia is on Q352, nice catch.

Railfan_Modeler
Railroadfan...fan

I had no clue about that northbound autorack! They used to run some a few years back south of marysville. There was a H711 that used to bring cars from Buckeye Yard and I think it occasionally would have autoracks on it, and maybe one other northbound autorack but as you said it’s been forever. They had a derailment the other day at Honda and the autorack train that derailed, Q205, had to go down to Willis siding to wait it out. First autorack train south of Honda in at least 3 years or more. I got word of csx 1 on Q352 and went straight to Honda after getting out of school, beat it by about 5ish minutes.
Also yesterday there were roughly 6 trains to run the Scottslawn after 7pm. 3 north and 3 south.

PeavineEnthusiast
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by PeavineEnthusiast »

What times can you expect to see some trains on this line?

Railfan_Modeler
Railroadfan...fan

The following is a list of trains and times I wrote for the Scottslawn secondary Facebook group. These are rough estimates of the times but for the most part fairly accurate. Hope this helps.

This is in order of how they run during the day.

Q310- Avon Indiana to Columbus, Ohio, daily southbound manifest freight 5am-11am
H708- Parsons yard to Marysville local, can run anytime of day but usually for. 6am-11am and returning south after noon. Runs daily.
There is a Honda local with an H designation that comes from Marion and returns earlier in the morning, usually before 7am. It may be H711, which used to be a Buckeye to Honda local, which has since gone away, or H707 or H706.
Q352- Chicago to Honda to Kentucky somewhere. Usually arrives in Honda around 10am and leaves about 2 hours later, schedule for it has been sporadic.
Q353 does the same thing as Q352 just the opposite direction. Not sure on its schedule but I’m guessing overnight.
Q205, can sometime run around the same time as Q352 but is usually an early morning train.
Q311- Parsons yard Columbus to Avon, Indiana, usually leaves parsons like clockwork from 3-6pm.
Q146, southbound intermodal from North Baltimore, usually through Marysville southbound around 8:30pm each night but can be later.
Q147- usually leaves Van yard in Hilliard around 7-8pm each night and meets Q146 somewhere on the Scottslawn or Toledo Branch.
Y103 is the local that uses Q146/147’s power and switches industries around darby.

Extra trains:

E312- empty northbound coal train from South Carolina to Indiana I believe, usually runs every couple days.

E895- a very seldom seen train, used to be more common about a year ago. It will just all of a sudden show up. It is a loaded and or unloaded coal train. There may be another symbol involved depending on if it’s loaded or unloaded and what direction.

N312, the loaded train of E312, also runs every couple of days and is a southbound train.

G022- grain train to Heritage Cooperative in Marysville. Runs about twice a week depending on the season.

G017 and V017, both extra grain trains that run the entire line and are usually northbound out of Parsons yard.

Occasional high and wide loads will go south for interchange to Ohio Central in eastern Ohio via Parsons yard.

There are other extra trains occasionally plus other random grain trains, but this is the majority of the action. Hope this helps.

strugglin
Railroadfan...fan

Today's Q311 had CSX 5500 Spirit of Cincinnati leading, then they ran a V621 empty grain train up a few hours later.

If you check Page 1 of the post, I wrote a list of all the trains that I've seen on the Scottslawn over the years. I think we're down to 4 sets of coal trains now, N312/E312, N319/E319, N895/E895, and I think there's a T632/U632. The first 2 sets are Duke Energy trains have stainless coal cars, the second 2 have sets of CSX coal cars.

Grain trains too many to list, I think I've now got 30+ pairs of grain trains recorded over the years now.

strugglin
Railroadfan...fan

There have been a whole lot of extras on the Scottslawn recently, seems traffic has picked up. Have seen multiple coal trains now including what I think was an N312 had a DPU midtrain this week.

strugglin
Railroadfan...fan

Q311 has a UP SD70ACe pair on it today, just cleared CP Mounds around 4:30pm.

LansingRailFan
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by LansingRailFan »

strugglin wrote:
Thu Jun 03, 2021 1:20 pm
There have been a whole lot of extras on the Scottslawn recently, seems traffic has picked up. Have seen multiple coal trains now including what I think was an N312 had a DPU midtrain this week.
Extra on the Scottslawn? How about P001?