CSX scottslawn secondary

Anything pertaining to railfanning in Ohio.
strugglin
Railroadfan...fan

Re: CSX scottslawn secondary

Unread post by strugglin »

I just went out looking for the Q310, but it might've sneaked by me, tough to hear trains when it's this hot and the A/C is running, the signals at CP Mounds were red over red going south and I heard dispatcher talking to Q310 had CSX 3205 leader, may have already been pulling in Parsons Yard.

I caught that H708 north through Mounds yesterday 2pm, I thought it was Q311 normal time, then was stunned seeing 100+ empty autoracks! I figured it was the H708 instead taking empty racks from storage up to Marysville, the cement cars on the head end were a dead giveaway.

Railfan_Modeler
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Railfan_Modeler »

Honda must be very full of autoracks right now, but I’ve still yet to see or hear of any full autorack trains going in or out of the facility. I couldn’t believe they left all those racks in Willis siding in Marysville, they had 5 trains on the line in about 3 hours or so and that would’ve helped with easing congestion as the Kile siding was being held by the very late Q311 who was running behind Q147. The two southbounds that night had to wait at Ridgeway until Q147 cleared and Q311 had to wait on both southbounds before working Honda and heading to Avon.

strugglin
Railroadfan...fan

I did hear that Q310 coming south in the afternoon on Sunday. The last few days Q311 has been running right on time coming north around 2pm through Mounds. I've seen almost no extra trains coal or grain the last couple of weeks.

Railfan_Modeler
Railroadfan...fan

Neither have I, not sure what that second southbound was the other night, my guess is one was Q146 but the other may have been an extra but I did not see it so I am not sure.

Railfan_Modeler
Railroadfan...fan

I have an update on a new train that uses the North End of the Scottslawn, Q353. It’s a manifest freight with racks for Honda. It comes from Chicago and goes to Louisville, Kentucky. It has an odd routing I believe but goes down to Honda then back north to the Indianapolis line to head to Sydney where it will turn south.

strugglin
Railroadfan...fan

The other night while drinking at a trackside bar here, I saw what I think was a G610 loaded grain train going south, then within 30 minutes what I think was E312 came north, must've been waiting outside Parsons for the grain train to arrive, then immediately came up the Scottslawn. So the extras are still running, just seems a lot less frequently.

strugglin
Railroadfan...fan

An E312 is headed north now, snuck by me at home, but heard it on the scanner clear CP Mounds 9:30pm.

Railfan_Modeler
Railroadfan...fan

Two extra grain trains heading south today, one right after the other. G253 and G991. There were two grains trains that loaded at Heritage Cooperative in Marysville the past two weeks as well if I remember correctly.

strugglin
Railroadfan...fan

So definitely some changes on the Scottslawn, Q310 has been arriving later then usual, coming south in the mornings now, sometimes coming through Mounds around Noon, I've seen it with 1x1 power arrangements. Q311 has also been running in the afternoon still, but twice this week it had a 3x1 power, today it came north through Mounds 3:45pm with 1x1 power.

The bigger news, there was a K447 Ethanol loads with CN x 2 came south sometime yesterday, then today I just got a loaded coal train T632 come north through Mounds 5:30pm. Very odd, I've never seen loaded coal going north on the Scottslawn, those 2 trains are typically C&O trains, so not sure if they were detoured becuase of a derailment or track work, or if CSX is just running the shorter route now using the connection at Galatea. For years I've wondered why so many trains take the longer route down the C&O via Fostoria, but it's because there are not many sidings on the Toledo Branch & Scottslawn, much easier for trains to meet on the C&O, more double track.

arty flowers
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by arty flowers »

K447 Chicago ethanol loads off the IAIS destined for Wadesboro NC,
G253 are grain loads from ADM in Hoopeston Ill destined for Valdosta Ga.
G991 are grain loads that came off the UP in St Louis destined for Rocky Mount NC.
T632 are coal loads from Danville WVA destined for ArcellorMIttal steel mill via the IHB at Gibson
E312 are empties coming back from Rogers Energy Complex in Brice NC destined for Princeton Indiana.
G610 are grain loads out of Mauzy In destined for ACWR in Aberdeen NC.

strugglin
Railroadfan...fan

More increased activity on the Scottslawn, today Q311 came north through Mounds around 2:45pm, then there were 2 southbound trains around 5 and 6pm, the second was a grain train had CSX 1 Spirit of West Virginia trailing rolled into Parsons around 7pm per Heritage Units. Then around 8pm a northbound came up the Scottslawn, so there was at least 3 extra trains today.

Railfan_Modeler
Railroadfan...fan

Q311 came through today around 1:45pm with SD70AC 4527, SD40-2 8821, and CN SD75i 5721. It got stopped by Q353 going into Honda. Quite the lashup. H708 has been using an SD50-3, 8662, for power the last week or so recently as well. Good power on the Scottslawn.

strugglin
Railroadfan...fan

CSX 500 Spirit of Grafton is trailing 2nd of 3 units on a T664/U664 coal train which now utilizes the Scottslawn Secondary to travel between PA & WV, via Ridgeway, Galion, and Greenwich. It came through south empty on Wednesday, and will likely return loaded back north on Friday or the weekend, so be on the lookout, it has all black CSX coal cars in the consist.

arty flowers
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by arty flowers »

T664 are loads out of Peach Creek Wva destined for the Colona PA
and U664 is the exact opposite.

strugglin
Railroadfan...fan

I just heard a horn NB, this time of day I knew it was an extra, went up 2 Mounds to investigate thinking it might be the T664 coming back north, but instead it was a V013-21 empty grain train, power was CSX 39 & 142 both in YN2 paint. Doesn't seem to be on the CSX List, it was mostly INTX grain cars and exCP cars, a few Soo Line Cars mixed in.

Railfan_Modeler
Railroadfan...fan

I heard the V013 last night on the scanner as well. Dispatcher was talking to them about running around the train at Dunkirk and shoving back in to wherever they were going. Crew called for a cab in Kenton to take them back to Marysville so my guess is it was headed to Heritage in Kenton. Two Ferromex locomotives trailed on an extra through freight last night and there’s a good chance they’ll head back north today on Q311, so be on the lookout for that as well.

strugglin
Railroadfan...fan

Yes, I saw the extra freight at 11:30pm after leaving the bar trackside, couldn't believe it was UP GE leader, and then 2 Ferromex SD70ACe, I wasn't sure if it was Q310, another railfan told me it could've been a Q686 reroute which has UP power from Rose Lake, IL.

So far I haven't heard Q311 today, I've been home all day and haven't heard a single train on the Scottslawn yet.

Railfan_Modeler
Railroadfan...fan

Oh wow, I didn’t know it came through that late. I had debated seeing it that night but waited until yesterday. And yes, it was a Q686, which will run as needed to Columbus from Avon I believe. The power did go back on Q311 yesterday, I caught it around 3:00 north of Marysville, I don’t think there was much traffic on the line yesterday other than the regularly scheduled trains.

strugglin
Railroadfan...fan

Yep, apparently the Ferromex power did go back on Q311 on Saturday, not sure how I could've missed it, I was home and outside most of the day and never heard a horn.

Today's Q311 went through Mounds around 2:15pm, I did not see it, but heard the leader on the radio CSX 3215. Then just now another Q686 came south through Mounds around 4:15pm, so the trains likely met near Marysville, the Q686 power was UP 5505, UP 4420, CSX 27, CSX 405, a massive train mostly autoracks and boxcars amongst other mixed freight. Very excited to see additional freight on the Scottslawn now!

Railfan_Modeler
Railroadfan...fan

I do remember Q311 had PTC issues that day and had to stop. It also stopped at mounds to wait on a track inspector to clear up at Darby. Maybe that’s why you didn’t hear him.

Watch for Q311 today, if I’m correct, there will be a good chance of it having Q686’s UP Power returning back west.