CSX scottslawn secondary

Anything pertaining to railfanning in Ohio.
Railfan_Modeler
Railroadfan...fan

CSX scottslawn secondary

Unread post by Railfan_Modeler »

Hello everyone

I was wondering if anyone would be able to give a list of all the trains currently running on the Scottslawn Secondary. I do know there is the H708 local that switches everyday with the occasional Sunday, but am unsure of what other trains run on the line and about what times they run.
Thanks for any information!
Railfan Modeler

arty flowers
Railroadfan...fan

Re: CSX scottslawn secondary

Unread post by arty flowers »

Q310/311 are back running through here up to Ridgeway as Avon-Columbus-Russell, D756 as a Crestline-Columbus Parsons Turn but not sure if it runs on the Burt Line or if it takes the Indy Sub at Galion and heads to Ridgeway and takes the connection there to Columbus. Q146/Q147

Railfan_Modeler
Railroadfan...fan

I’ve been trying to keep track of all the trains currently running on the Scottslawn and figured I’d share what I’ve found over the past couple months here.

Scheduled trains:
I believe Q310 is an early bird and heads south to parsons before the sun rises.
There’s a Y103 that switches industries down by buckeye and van yards in the morning and into the early afternoon.
H708 is into Marysville to switch normally at 7:00am and done by 11:00am and heading back to parsons.
H711 comes from the north off the Mt. Victory sub I believe from Marion and heads to switch Honda or any interchange traffic at Ridgeway from the Kenton local.
Q311 leaves parsons no earlier than 1:00pm and is usually through Marysville by 3:00pm and has to wait on Q203 going into Honda
Q203 normally gets into Honda around 3:15-3:30pm
Q231 then heads into Honda around 5:00pm and leaves shortly thereafter sometime around 7:00pm
The last two of the day are Q146 and Q147. Q147 leaves van yard around 7:00pm every night and meets Q146 most nights between van yard and Ridgeway during the 7:00 hour.
The extra trains I’ve seen and heard traverse the line are coal trains E895 and E313. The grain trains are V628, V991, and G022.
Hope this helps anyone wondering the Scottslawn schedule and train count!

JoJames
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by JoJames »

Railfan_Modeler wrote:I’ve been trying to keep track of all the trains currently running on the Scottslawn and figured I’d share what I’ve found over the past couple months here.

Scheduled trains:
I believe Q310 is an early bird and heads south to parsons before the sun rises.
There’s a Y103 that switches industries down by buckeye and van yards in the morning and into the early afternoon.
H708 is into Marysville to switch normally at 7:00am and done by 11:00am and heading back to parsons.
H711 comes from the north off the Mt. Victory sub I believe from Marion and heads to switch Honda or any interchange traffic at Ridgeway from the Kenton local.
Q311 leaves parsons no earlier than 1:00pm and is usually through Marysville by 3:00pm and has to wait on Q203 going into Honda
Q203 normally gets into Honda around 3:15-3:30pm
Q231 then heads into Honda around 5:00pm and leaves shortly thereafter sometime around 7:00pm
The last two of the day are Q146 and Q147. Q147 leaves van yard around 7:00pm every night and meets Q146 most nights between van yard and Ridgeway during the 7:00 hour.
The extra trains I’ve seen and heard traverse the line are coal trains E895 and E313. The grain trains are V628, V991, and G022.
Hope this helps anyone wondering the Scottslawn schedule and train count!
All 200 series trains serving Honda have been abolished starting Friday till auto traffic returns.

Railfan_Modeler
Railroadfan...fan

Thanks for the info, I did hear Honda would be shutting down and figured it would only be a matter of time before the trains stopped running into there. I guess there’s 3 or 4 trains that run into there and switch on a daily basis but I’ve only heard Q203 and Q231.

JoJames
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by JoJames »

Railfan_Modeler wrote:Thanks for the info, I did hear Honda would be shutting down and figured it would only be a matter of time before the trains stopped running into there. I guess there’s 3 or 4 trains that run into there and switch on a daily basis but I’ve only heard Q203 and Q231.
Q246 would be another. Leaves in the wee hours of the morning for the IHB at Chicago.

strugglin
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by strugglin »

It's been a while since I've checked in here, glad I did tonight and found this post, I can definitely help with info. I live in Columbus south of CP Mounds and have a distant view of the Buckeye Line from home, but since CSX stopped running Q390/391 in January 2019, I've pretty much focused all my attention on the Scottslawn Secondary now as my active rail line behind my place to the west. I know very little about north end ops including the Marysville autorack trains, too bad they don't run any south from there, but just about the all info already posted is correct and I'll add what I can.

Q146/147 are mostly nocturnal through Ohio, I never see them, but hear them on the scanner nightly, Q147 currently departs Buckeye Yard 7-8pm, and they do typically meet south of Ridgeway with Q146 arriving at Buckeye Yard around midnight give or take an hour.

Q310 is also nocturnal, it comes south through CP Mounds anytime between 2-4am most nights. Q311 was operating out of Parsons Yard all summer and early fall 6-7pm, but would always cause issues with Q147 having similar departure, which is why now it currently leaves Parsons yard anytime after 1pm and comes north through CP Mounds around 2pm.

H708 local I believe heads north around 6am out of Parsons yard, typically I hear them coming back south working FP Supply switching centerbeam cars of lumber behind my place between 10am-noon, they usually finish their work and head back to Parsons Yard and Q311 will depart once they're off the line.

The Y103 I have also heard on the scanner, but am not sure when it runs or what it works aside from the H708.

As far as unit trains, I love coal trains, but they are few and far between, not even sure there is a loaded and empty each way a day, maybe 1-2 in 24 hours. Almost all of these coal trains load in southern Indiana or Illinois, off the Indiana Railroad or in the Princeton, IN area. Most of them are destined for Duke Power Plants in North Carolina and Tennesse or South Carolina also, lots of DKPX and SCWX reporting marks, but there are a few coal trains that use all CSX cars that go to other areas. A sampling of coal trains symbols I've gotten on the line no particular order:
E885
E873
E901
N895
E893
E312

Grain trains are much more plentiful, I'd say 3-5 day, they run back to back up and down the line frequently, I'd say more then half the trains I see on the line are grain trains. They load just about anywhere in the Midwest including Ohio and Michigan, and go anywhere southeast of here. Get ready for this list, oddly enough all of these symbols I've only gotten once, have yet to get the same grain train symbol twice on my list:
V737
V657
V037
V771
V080
V753
G759
V772
V673
G669
V669, this train I did get loaded then counterpart returning a few days later
V619
V625
G610
G616
V658
G624
G991 had UP Power and CSX Spirit of Ravenna rear DPU
G747
V651 just ran tonight which I looked up, then stumbled on this post

Since I've started my Scottslawn list I wonder just how many combinations of grain trains run the line now, it might be upwards of 40-50, there were countless other grain trains I've seen or missed where I did not get a symbol for them.

I'll continue to check in and update periodically as I add more trains to my list or can add any new info on the line.

arty flowers
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by arty flowers »

Being a former Columbus resident you don't have to go very far on the Scottslawn Sub to see where the grain trains are placed. You have the elevator at Kileville, two elevators at Marysville including the gigantic Heritage Coop, West Mansfield, and Kenton which is technically on the Toledo Branch.

Railfan_Modeler
Railroadfan...fan

Thanks for the update on the train symbols, they come in very handy when out in search for trains on the Scottslawn! About the grain trains, I believe the new Marysville Ag campus/ Heritage cooperative is the only unit grain train provider on the line because unfortunately with the building of that elevator, they have now closed the Kileville elevator and the one in downtown Marysville (it may be still be used but not by rail and very seldom by truck anymore), all owned by heritage cooperative. Horton, Ohio has a grain elevator/feed mill but I’m not sure if they receive cars or not. It seems that there’s been a good bit of grain trains recently though, and a fair share of coal the past week as well. Q311 has also picked up some extra traffic from the abolishment of Q630/631 on the Toledo Branch, so there’s been some big changes recently, glad to see a fairly quiet line come to life!

strugglin
Railroadfan...fan

I've only seen 2 extras on the Scottslawn the last 3 days, doesn't mean others didn't run though, no extras today while I was home.

Monday CSX 757, 314, & 33xx were the power on an empty Duke coal train went north through CP Mounds around 5:30pm.

Tuesday CSX 95 solo led an empty grain train all pale yellow CSX cars north through CP Mounds around 10:30pm.

Unfortunately I did not get a symbol on either train, I have better luck with southbounds as they go in Parsons after coming by, or if I hear northbound on the scanner coming from Parsons ahead of time.

CantBeShook.WeHot
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by CantBeShook.WeHot »

strugglin wrote:Monday CSX 757, 314, & 33xx were the power on an empty Duke coal train went north through CP Mounds around 5:30pm.

Tuesday CSX 95 solo led an empty grain train all pale yellow CSX cars north through CP Mounds around 10:30pm.

Unfortunately I did not get a symbol on either train, I have better luck with southbounds as they go in Parsons after coming by, or if I hear northbound on the scanner coming from Parsons ahead of time.
CSXT 757 and CSXT 314 were on E31227 to Princeton IN.
CSXT 95 was V62126 to Avon IN.

Railfan_Modeler
Railroadfan...fan

Yeah, the past couple days have been a little slower than the rest, last week had a few busy days. On the 20th I went out after hearing Q311 was going to be held in Willis siding in Marysville for two southbounds. The first was N312, loaded coal, and the second a G797 with a mixture of covered hoppers. All three went through Marysville within two hours, that’s the busiest I’ve seen the line in awhile, at least in terms of trains per hour. I did see a southbound grain with two or three locomotives Monday I believe, somewhere around 11:45am, it passed H708 by scotts who was pretty late that day.

strugglin
Railroadfan...fan

Busy Sunday morning on the Scottslawn, a parade of southbounds, I believe there was a SB woke me up around 7am, but it was still dark and raining.

Next SB was CSX 5479 & 335x on a Gx42-02, maybe a G642 loaded grain train came by CP Mounds around 8:45am.

Following closely after was CSX 3179 & 8881 SD40 on a very late Q310-02 at 9:30am.

CSX 61 came by on the H708 at 10:35am, switches locked & lined

CSX 3341, 5433 leading a 6 unit all GE lashup, 5361, 3282 were last 2 trailing units on Q311 just went north 2:25pm.

CSX 3321 just led Q310-03 south at 1:50am with CSX 806 as the rear DPU, the exact opposite of this morning, anything before 2am here is as early as it ever arrives. The train had a high & wide load likely coming from AEP Marysville, a transformer on an 8 axle flat car behind the lead loco, I believe there was a high & wide load that went north a few nights ago, likely they swapped out.

Railfan_Modeler
Railroadfan...fan

Where at in Marysville do they unload these high and wide loads? I’m just curious because there’s a small passing siding in downtown Marysville by the CSX yard offices that they may be able to unload at, but then there’s also Peoria, and on older CSX timetables the old line to Marion was marked AEP, because it now dead ends into the AEP substation by Broadway, but I thought those tracks were out of service as the only crossing on that stretch says exempt.

Also the auto trains should be starting back up again here this week since Honda is reopening.

strugglin
Railroadfan...fan

The High & Wides are usually transformers to AEP, I think they go to the AEP substation east of the junction where CSX trains come out of Honda, there are 3 connections there, the NE connection only goes a few hundred yards into an AEP substation, at least that's where I always thought they ended up.

Earlier tonight around 10pm CSX 946 led a loaded grain train south, didn't get a symbol. There is an E313 will be coming north with CSX 3149 & 910 as power, we saw this train NB on the Big Sandy in Kentucky on Sunday while down south, it was sitting in Russell Yard Sunday night.

Oddly I just heard Q146 talking to dispatcher, it was getting permission to operate track both ways between CP Mounds and Camp, so not sure if they had 2 back up the Buckeye Line as a light power move into Buckeye Yard, doubtful they backed the entire train in the yard that way, that would be a first I've heard or seen. I'm guessing they may have had an issue with a leading engine, and maybe they wyed the power.

strugglin
Railroadfan...fan

An update from last night, I was not mistaken, drove up to CP Mounds tonight around midnight after hearing Q146 on the scanner, sure enough, CSX 896 & 3255 led the train south past CP Mounds, then reversed and backed the entire train around the connection up the Buckeye Line into the van yard there, I've also heard Y103 make this same maneuver lately during the day. I'm guessing maybe there is trackwork on the normal lead north out of Buckeye to CP Craft if anyone knows? I can take a drive up during the day and investigate but that north lead and CP Craft are pretty much inaccessible.

Around 1:50am, a V621 went north through CP Mounds

Then at 3am, CSX 5428 led a W801 north, this yet another high & wide load, might be possible to find it in the Marysville area the next couple days depending on if it was empty or loaded, I did not see it in person. Ironically NS L52 was on the Dayton District at the same time talking to the NS dispatcher saying they had a wide load also.

The W801 must've cleared Willis because CSX 5343 is leading Q310-12 south now from Willis at 3:35am.

strugglin
Railroadfan...fan

I just got word there is a G991 on the Scottslawn already south of Ridgeway now has a UP SD70ACe leader, I will definitely be going to see it once it reaches the south end by me.

strugglin
Railroadfan...fan

I think the schedule of trains on the Scottslawn has changed recently, I did catch Q311 the other day around 2pm normal time, other then that the last week it has not run in the afternoon. If it's still running daily, it must be running different times. Same thing with Q310, last night I believe it came south through CP Mounds around midnight, a few hours earlier then usual, and a few nights this week I was up late and never heard it come by at all.

If anyone has any info to share, please do. The Scottslawn south end seems to be very slow lately, I got an empty grain train going north last week, other then that no other coal or grain extras on the line.

Railfan_Modeler
Railroadfan...fan

I was gonna mention the same thing. Q311 has been running either very early or very late, tonight it’s coming through after 7:30 and it’s at CP Mounds as of this typing waiting on H708 who is going into the highway siding to let Q147 out and Q311 by. Very busy night for the dispatcher. The other thing I was going to mention was the H708 switched the cement plant in Marysville today and had a whole bunch of racks, and after sitting in the siding for about and hour, it uncoupled from the train and went back south engines light with the racks and cement cars still in Willis siding. I figured it would’ve taken them to Honda, they are all empty as I can see. Maybe Q311 will pick them up but I doubt it. I haven’t seen Q146 either for some time, I think I still runs in the afternoon but when, I’m not sure. Not sure if this helps or not but glad you noticed the change in traffic and times as well.

Railfan_Modeler
Railroadfan...fan

What looked like Q310 just went south through Marysville at 11:40 am, that’s the first time I’ve seen it in daylight for quite some time, so you must be right about all the time changes, maybe this means more trains in daylight even if there is less trains overall.