CSX scottslawn secondary

Anything pertaining to railfanning in Ohio.
strugglin
Railroadfan...fan

Re: CSX scottslawn secondary

Unread post by strugglin »

Happy Thanksgiving!

If anyone checks in today M310 has a UP SD90MAC in the consist believe it is trailing

Then there is also an S836 military train extra has KCS power was in Avon earlier it should be the next southbound after the M310 eventually

strugglin
Railroadfan...fan

A very busy day on the Scottslawn south end has me revising this post, now that it's warm outside and I have my windows open I can hear most of the trains that come by, this afternoon was one of the busiest I can remember as 5 trains came by in the last few hours

A G013 empty grain for Kenton came north just after 5pm through CP Mounds believe it had CSX GE x 2 as power
Then around 7pm a C895 loaded export coal Princeton, IN-Newport News, VA came south which I believe had a 2x1 power arrangement rear DPU
Followed shortly 7:35pm by a C332 loaded SCWX coal Princeton, IN-Cross, SC had CSX 3048 & 73 up front, 915 mid train DPU
Then an E895 I heard on the radio CSX 845 leader went north 8:40pm, the counterpart of C895 heading back to reload in Princeton
Now a W029 just left Parsons coming up the Scottslawn pulling in Highway siding, I believe this is a rail train I've seen recently has 8027 SD40
All 5 of these trains in addition to the I146/147 also running, I146 is coming down to CP Darby talking to the dispatcher now

strugglin
Railroadfan...fan

New heritage painted Chessie 1973 is leading M353 today south down the Toledo Branch & Scottslawn Secondary, just went through Findlay if anyone wants to see it.

Does M353 currently have a counterpart out of the Honda Plant back to Chicago? Today was a very short train 24 cars seen on the Deshler cam, mostly covered hoppers and tank cars, I thought it might have empty autoracks.

I'm also trying to find out the symbol of what I believe is an overnight local or turn that runs south to Parsons Yard, swaps out cars and immediately returns north? Last few months it has come south through CP Mounds around 1am, then come back north a few hours later around 4am. CSX 47 & 2055 GP38-3 were the same power on this turn most of Spring, but the last month it is now CSX 47 & 8852 an SD40. I have no clue where it could be coming from each night other then the Honda plant or maybe Kenton furthur north? I can say most nights it is mixed freight, coil steel, covered hoppers, and box cars, I've counted as many as 87 cars headed south and as few as 9 cars coming back north, it's typically around 30 cars give or take. Any help appreciated, thanks!

chapmaja
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by chapmaja »

strugglin wrote:
Wed Jun 28, 2023 5:01 pm
New heritage painted Chessie 1973 is leading M353 today south down the Toledo Branch & Scottslawn Secondary, just went through Findlay if anyone wants to see it.

Does M353 currently have a counterpart out of the Honda Plant back to Chicago? Today was a very short train 24 cars seen on the Deshler cam, mostly covered hoppers and tank cars, I thought it might have empty autoracks.

I'm also trying to find out the symbol of what I believe is an overnight local or turn that runs south to Parsons Yard, swaps out cars and immediately returns north? Last few months it has come south through CP Mounds around 1am, then come back north a few hours later around 4am. CSX 47 & 2055 GP38-3 were the same power on this turn most of Spring, but the last month it is now CSX 47 & 8852 an SD40. I have no clue where it could be coming from each night other then the Honda plant or maybe Kenton furthur north? I can say most nights it is mixed freight, coil steel, covered hoppers, and box cars, I've counted as many as 87 cars headed south and as few as 9 cars coming back north, it's typically around 30 cars give or take. Any help appreciated, thanks!
I am not exactly familiar with Ohio railroads, so some of this is a massive stab in the dark.

My guess is these would be L339 Willard to Parson's Yard and then L340 Parson's Yard to Willard.

strugglin
Railroadfan...fan

The L339/340 pair Parsons-Willard turns I believe run the C&O south from Fostoria, but I've found the identity of the overnight turn, was home tonight and got a new scanner decided to turn it on after I heard a train come south, lucky it's a busy night 4 trains waiting to go through LM, and I heard him clear as day on the radio pulling up to CP Camp, its an L331 listed as a Marion-Pottersburg daily turn, but clearly it now comes down to Parsons from the Honda Yard, just not sure if it still originates in Marion or just comes down from Pottersburg now.

scraphauler
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by scraphauler »

L331 is a Kenton / Columbus / Kenton turn that works overnight.

strugglin
Railroadfan...fan

scraphauler wrote:
Thu Jul 27, 2023 1:55 pm
L331 is a Kenton / Columbus / Kenton turn that works overnight.
Thank you for confirming my original guess that it came down from Kenton. I just saw it again early Wed am came south through CP Mounds around 1:30am, then I believe that night M313 came north around 4am and the L331 was to follow it up, the dispatcher was asking if they were gonna have enough time to make it back.

LansingRailFan
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by LansingRailFan »

W003 with CSX 9969 is set to go NB on the scottslawn tomorrow.