NS Peavine talk

Anything pertaining to railfanning in Ohio.
heypal6878
Railroadfan...fan

Re: NS Peavine talk

Unread post by heypal6878 »

This is going to be another good customer long-term for the CCET. So, I assume the CCET will haul cars full of product to the siding at Clare Yard and NS will pick it up send it to Sharon Yard weekly?

Paw95
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Paw95 »

Out of service rail line since 2003 Norfolk Southern Peavine at Scioto and Adams county line
https://youtu.be/KEUFpeA1fSk

heypal6878
Railroadfan...fan

Paw that is the county going to do with the line that is out of service out there? I think I read a few months back they were going to negotiate with NS to buy part of the line out there to turn it into a pedestrian/bike path. Not sure why NS wants to hold on to that out of service line as it will never be used again.

scraphauler
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by scraphauler »

There is a Scioto County commissioner blowing his own horn about turning the line into a trail - simply something he can use as a noise maker for the election. It's not happening. The CURRENT Regime at Norfolk Southern is content to sit on out of service lines indefinitely - be they the east end of the Peavine, the IMC between Tipton and Kokokmo, Saluda, Brickhaven to Fuquay-Varinia, etc. etc, etc. They WILL not entertain trail use idea. They WILL entertain RAIL use ideas, but it has to essentially cost them nothing and generate new traffic for them. The WILL lease the line east of Jaybird Road all the way to Vera to CCET, IF AND ONLY IF CCET generates NEW traffic that has to go that way for whatever reason. Rerouting grain traffic that way (be it current WinAg or future Purina) doesn't cut it. There has to be a major new traffic source appear between Rarden and Vera or a massive change in Norfolk Southern's traffic patterns before NS will ever consider reopening themselves or allowing CCET or anyone else to reopen. Simple as that as much as many hate to hear it. As long as the show is run by Shaw, Sanborn, Elkins, Nag, and McClellan, especially Nag and McClellan, don't expect any changes to that policy.

Paw95
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Paw95 »

https://youtu.be/0cOWhMbUA0I an old one but also a good one at Plum run.

Paw95
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Paw95 »

Cincinnati Eastern railroad stone train stalls near Tranquility pike 
https://youtu.be/yMN9ktPl7dc Had too much on the grade!!

heypal6878
Railroadfan...fan

Past Hanson stone has there ever been a lumber company out that way that used the railroad for transportation? There is plenty of land out that way one would think a lumber yard would be a good possibility of a business along the rail.

scraphauler
Railroadfan...fan

From the load out area the quarry to the end of the line at Jaybird Road, there are a GRAND TOTAL of FIVE property owners adjoining the track - 3 individuals/families and two companies. Of the three private owners, they are all right down at the Jaybird end, one owns maybe 40 acres squeezed between 73 and the track, one owns 7 acres landlocked by the tracks and one owns a good size chuck right at Jaybird. The balance of the property from the quarry all the way to where track become visible to 73 south of Portsmouth Road all belong to either a subsidiary of Lehigh Hanson or to Jack McCoy. Truth be known, Hanson or McCoy probably already have options on all the other property down there they don't already own. And both Hanson and McCoy are already rail customers. Could they add more track? Sure, why not - all it takes is money. Quarry keeps growing and McCoy keeps growing, who knows, it could happen. But don't expect some outsider just to plop down and set up shop down there needing rail.

heypal6878
Railroadfan...fan

How much has been done on the spur for Purina? Have they started on this yet?

scraphauler
Railroadfan...fan

Not yet. They may have done some earthwork on Purina property, but that would be it. As been stated in previous public releases, CCET needs to build an 1,100 foot lead through Norfolk Southern owned wetlands to connect to the 11,000 foot system of plant trackage. This require lots of permits and contracts between CCET, NS, Purina, Clermont County, Ohio DOT, Ohio EPA, US EPA, US Dept of Interior - Fish & Wildlife, US Army Corp of Engineers just to name a few. Ball in Purina court - everything that can be done has been, just waiting for Purina now. They are finalizing everything for their new North Carolina plant right now - as soon as they are done with that, they will turn their attention to Batavia. Should come together quickly then as a lot of the NC agreement will serve as framework for OH. Plant is still 10-12 months away from beginning test production, and probably 18-24 months away from full production.

heypal6878
Railroadfan...fan

Interesting thanks for the info. So the wetlands there is that a drainage issue or is there a pond back there?

scraphauler
Railroadfan...fan

heypal6878 wrote:
Wed Nov 30, 2022 4:41 pm
Interesting thanks for the info. So the wetlands there is that a drainage issue or is there a pond back there?
Just marsh/swampy area. Officially designated as a wetlands with all the environmental considerations that go along with it. In the old days, you would simply dump a bunch of rip rap and fill in it and build over top it. Now you have to spend big money to do all sorts of geological, endangered species, and environmental studies then “remediate” the wetlands by constructing new wetlands to replace what’s being “destroyed”. All that “paperwork” is done with the alphabet soup of state and federal agencies and the permits are in place. Now just have to finalize all the commercial agreements and start slinging dirt. Commercially, ball is in Purinas court as indicated in previous post.

heypal6878
Railroadfan...fan

Got it thanks for the info. Looks like going to be at least another year for full operation. I was up there yesterday the building looks great man it is big.

BigBob’sUsedCarLot
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by BigBob’sUsedCarLot »

Just in this mornings news… Purina planning a SECOND manufacturing facility next to it’s existing massive manufacturing project. The existing project will produce dry food. The second facility will produce wet food. Nestle had purchased 55 acres adjacent to its existing project. Think it’s safe to say rail service will be a necessity and will see a boatload of action.

https://www.bizjournals.com/cincinnati/ ... plant.html

heypal6878
Railroadfan...fan

I have read the article on two different social media platforms. The Cincinnati Business Courier nailed it. Yes it might be another year but the CCET will be very busy when all this construction is finished and traffic begins to move on the rail from this plant.

scraphauler
Railroadfan...fan

New second plant announced is a wet food canning plant. It WILL NOT be rail served. Any (if any) increased rail traffic resulting from this canning plant will be in form of additional cars handled through the yet to be constructed rail infrastructure at the original plant currently under construction. There are several economic development projects in the works in Clermont, Brown, and Adams counties that IF they come to fruition will result in additional rail traffic for CCET, but this canning plant is simply a non factor rail wise. Sorry.

midland sub
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by midland sub »

You are not sorry. How do you sleep at night knowing east of Jay Bird Rd is an unlimited and untapped bounty of foamer dreams and expectations....?

scraphauler
Railroadfan...fan

midland sub wrote:
Thu Jan 05, 2023 1:27 pm
You are not sorry. How do you sleep at night knowing east of Jay Bird Rd is an unlimited and untapped bounty of foamer dreams and expectations....?
I'm an evil bastard and dream crusher so I sleep quite well at night :P

heypal6878
Railroadfan...fan

Mark someone told me you passed away. I said no such luck! He will come out from under his rock here soon. Sure enough any news about the Peavine you come out of your hole.

AARR
Ann Arbor RR Nerd

Unread post by AARR »

This is funny :lol:
scraphauler wrote:
Thu Jan 05, 2023 1:51 pm
midland sub wrote:
Thu Jan 05, 2023 1:27 pm
I'm an evil bastard and dream crusher so I sleep quite well at night :P
PatC created a monster, 'cause nobody wants to see Don Simon no more they want AARR I'm chopped liver, well if you want AARR this is what I'll give ya, bad humor mixed with irrelevant info that'll make you roll your eyes quicker than a ~Z~ banhammer...