NS Peavine talk

Anything pertaining to railfanning in Ohio.
NSPeavineFan
Railroadfan...fan

Re: NS Peavine talk

Unread post by NSPeavineFan »

h2466 wrote:
Tue Dec 28, 2021 5:59 pm
So they were hauling the commerercail stone for free??
No, what I mean is that they were hauling the stone for only railway repairs and and construction. But now companies can pay them to haul stone.

heypal6878
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by heypal6878 »

Currently it is a revenue producer on the stone. They haul maybe two times a week from the rock query from what I have heard on the scanner. The Purina Plant is moving on very quickly. The building is up roof is on working inside and out massive going to hire a good amount of people at the plant for sure.

Most likely won't be finished late spring or early summer but it is moving right on schedule. When finished this will be a major revenue producer for the CCET with at least 5 train loads per day.

The CCET is going pretty well with storage this fall and winter and the paper plant in Batavia is very busy.

NSPeavineFan
Railroadfan...fan

heypal6878 wrote:
Sun Jan 02, 2022 12:02 pm
Currently it is a revenue producer on the stone. They haul maybe two times a week from the rock query from what I have heard on the scanner. The Purina Plant is moving on very quickly. The building is up roof is on working inside and out massive going to hire a good amount of people at the plant for sure.

Most likely won't be finished late spring or early summer but it is moving right on schedule. When finished this will be a major revenue producer for the CCET with at least 5 train loads per day.

The CCET is going pretty well with storage this fall and winter and the paper plant in Batavia is very busy.
That is good. I wonder why they have not gotten the siding in Rarden yet. From my understanding, they were wanting it for the stone trains.

Paw95
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Paw95 »

Norfolk southern is the reason they don’t have to Rarden yet.

NSPeavineFan
Railroadfan...fan

Paw95 wrote:
Sun Jan 02, 2022 2:46 pm
Strange, I thought Norfolk Southern liked that the Peavine was getting more business. The Rarden siding would sure help the CCET with storage cars.

AARR
Ann Arbor RR Nerd

Unread post by AARR »

I looked up Rarden OH and didn't see anything other than someone's mainline (NS?). Where is the Rarden you're referring too and what is there that can be serviced by rail?
NSPeavineFan wrote:
Sun Jan 02, 2022 4:12 pm
Paw95 wrote:
Sun Jan 02, 2022 2:46 pm
Strange, I thought Norfolk Southern liked that the Peavine was getting more business. The Rarden siding would sure help the CCET with storage cars.
PatC created a monster, 'cause nobody wants to see Don Simon no more they want AARR I'm chopped liver, well if you want AARR this is what I'll give ya, bad humor mixed with irrelevant info that'll make you roll your eyes quicker than a ~Z~ banhammer...

NSPeavineFan
Railroadfan...fan

AARR wrote:
Sun Jan 02, 2022 4:18 pm
I looked up Rarden OH and didn't see anything other than someone's mainline (NS?). Where is the Rarden you're referring too and what is there that can be serviced by rail?
Rarden OH I believe is around Milepost 80-82 of the Peavine line. Start at Peebles on Google Maps and head east to where the track becomes 2. That is Rarden. There is a siding there that the CCET wants to get for Storage. But apparently NS won't let them for some reason.

AARR
Ann Arbor RR Nerd

Unread post by AARR »

Thank you
NSPeavineFan wrote:
Sun Jan 02, 2022 4:37 pm
AARR wrote:
Sun Jan 02, 2022 4:18 pm
Rarden OH I believe is around Milepost 80-82 of the Peavine line. Start at Peebles on Google Maps and head east to where the track becomes 2. That is Rarden. There is a siding there that the CCET wants to get for Storage. But apparently NS won't let them for some reason.
PatC created a monster, 'cause nobody wants to see Don Simon no more they want AARR I'm chopped liver, well if you want AARR this is what I'll give ya, bad humor mixed with irrelevant info that'll make you roll your eyes quicker than a ~Z~ banhammer...

NSPeavineFan
Railroadfan...fan

AARR wrote:
Sun Jan 02, 2022 5:56 pm
Thank you
You are welcome. The CCET has been doing really well from what I have heard.

AARR
Ann Arbor RR Nerd

Unread post by AARR »

Google Maps shows there are storage cars on that track. If CCET didn't spot them there who did?
NSPeavineFan wrote:
Sun Jan 02, 2022 6:10 pm
AARR wrote:
Sun Jan 02, 2022 5:56 pm
Thank you
You are welcome. The CCET has been doing really well from what I have heard.

Paw95
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Paw95 »

As of right now January 2 2022 at 8:10 pm on a Sunday they just dropped empty cars off at plum run. They are now running 7 days a week it looks like.

NSPeavineFan
Railroadfan...fan

Paw95 wrote:
Sun Jan 02, 2022 8:10 pm
As of right now January 2 2022 at 8:10 pm on a Sunday they just dropped empty cars off at plum run. They are now running 7 days a week it looks like.
Interesting, I thought they did not run on weekends. You mean 7 days a week in general or to Plum Run?

Paw95
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Paw95 »

Well I guess for the last few weeks they have been working Saturday and Sunday's and even night shifts. I’m not sure if it’s just because of them running to plum run or not.

NSPeavineFan
Railroadfan...fan

Paw95 wrote:
Sun Jan 02, 2022 9:34 pm
Well I guess for the last few weeks they have been working Saturday and Sunday's and even night shifts. I’m not sure if it’s just because of them running to plum run or not.
Ok thank you. Did you catch a video of the train at Plum Run?

Paw95
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Paw95 »

NSPeavineFan wrote:
Sun Jan 02, 2022 10:47 pm
Paw95 wrote:
Yes i did catch it. Its going to be a 17 minute video and maybe out late tonight. Jawtooth will have some video of the same train sometime soon.

Paw95
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Paw95 »

NSPeavineFan wrote:
Sun Jan 02, 2022 10:47 pm
Paw95 wrote:
https://youtu.be/md1XaoIY_dU this is the video

midland sub
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by midland sub »

You didn't shrink in close enough. What you see east of Jaybrid Rd on Google Maps is a decent length trestle. I thought the same thing until I looked closer. There's decent size washout between Jaybird and Rarden that needs repaired if and when NS opens up more of the out of service line for them.

AARR wrote:
Sun Jan 02, 2022 7:35 pm
Google Maps shows there are storage cars on that track. If CCET didn't spot them there who did?
NSPeavineFan wrote:
Sun Jan 02, 2022 6:10 pm

NSPeavineFan
Railroadfan...fan

midland sub wrote:
Mon Jan 03, 2022 10:34 am
You didn't shrink in close enough. What you see east of Jaybrid Rd on Google Maps is a decent length trestle. I thought the same thing until I looked closer. There's decent size washout between Jaybird and Rarden that needs repaired if and when NS opens up more of the out of service line for them.
Well I think that the out of service track condition has worsened since NS stopped spraying weed killer on it. When they sprayed, it kept the tracks clean and it did not allow the plants and weeds to start damaging the rails and rotting the ties. Now, the weeds can grow anywhere along the out of service track.

heypal6878
Railroadfan...fan

I was just out that way last week and yes there is damaged rails past the 80 mile post washouts in a few areas ties are in bad shape, brush on the tracks even a few trees have grown up between the tracks I looked like. I was no very close and some spots.

The CCET would need to spend some money to fix the tracks not a ton but few thousand to make sure the tracks are safe.

Not sure why NS wouldn't grant the CCET a lease on additional trackage rights? NS isn't responsible for maintenance
on the tracks they just collect the lease money. As we all know the CCET has some great contacts with companies that want car storage. Often times during the year nearly all the sidings are occupied by car storage. So that additional siding would come in very handy.

Midland Sub is correct! How stable is that old trestle and how much work would that need below from years of water and floods under the footers? The CCET would need to hire a structural company to check this out.

heypal6878
Railroadfan...fan

While I was up that way last week I talked to a older guy who was walking his dogs along the tracks. He lives not far from the tracks and must have lived there most of this life. He remembers passenger trains and the NW trains that ran on the tracks back in the 50s and 60s. He said I hope one day trains will come back to this area and we see some big development along the rail. Most people out here he said don't want big business around here, we prefer it to be quiet but one day maybe that will all change. Since I have been here I see more and more business moving this way more development for sure.

Seven day a week train traffic will be common this summer as Purina will be ready to go. The CCET is getting ready now for this. Of late the CCET has been running some weekends and even nights. Nights when was the last time you saw a train running at night on the Peavine other than the CCET? Need to go back to the 90s when NS might have been way out east bringing cars back to Clare Yard.

Night runs may be the normal as well. Signal lights will need to be maintained along the crossings when the CCET gets busy. Rails will need to be maintained regularly as well with more heavy traffic going over the tracks. I for one am looking forward to this to see the Peavine get busy yet again.