NS Peavine talk

Anything pertaining to railfanning in Ohio.
scraphauler
Railroadfan...fan

Re: NS Peavine talk

Unread post by scraphauler »

AARR wrote:
Wed Nov 04, 2020 6:32 pm
Did CCET get the aggregate business this year?
Still under construction. It’s also the reason Round Bottom Road has been closed for the past few week - County DOT required road improvements.

AARR
Ann Arbor RR Nerd

Unread post by AARR »

Thank you scrap hauler. With the end of construction season nearing it loos like this might be next year's new business.
scraphauler wrote:
Wed Nov 04, 2020 9:53 pm
AARR wrote:
Wed Nov 04, 2020 6:32 pm
Did CCET get the aggregate business this year?
Still under construction. It’s also the reason Round Bottom Road has been closed for the past few week - County DOT required road improvements.
PatC created a monster, 'cause nobody wants to see Don Simon no more they want AARR I'm chopped liver, well if you want AARR this is what I'll give ya, bad humor mixed with irrelevant info that'll make you roll your eyes quicker than a ~Z~ banhammer...

TC Man
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by TC Man »

northstar16 wrote:
Wed Nov 04, 2020 6:28 pm
Walking the dog today down at Clare Yard even did some fishing. Great Weather in November 72 down here today. Talked the NW crew today who was doing some work in the yard. They came down to my fishing spot. We talked about the Purina deal. They said in two more years Purina is going to make the CCET a ton of money this is what the CCET needed on the line. My buddy works for Clermont County said that council Members are pushing for another company to build up there. If that is a successful deal the CCET may get more business if they build on the line and they use rail. Either way you look at it the CCET is doing very well and has a bright future on the line.

My buddy Heypal has not been on here for a month or so. I best let him know what is going on. He may know already think he is on JawTooths Facebook page not sure why he doesn't post here anymore.
So this NS crew just randomly seeks you out while fishing to tell you all this? Very interesting stuff...
CEO of the Waving Institute- teaching great wave forms.

northstar16
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by northstar16 »

No not random. We talked earlier that day and then I went down under the bridge to fish. They came down and we talked for 20 minutes or so. Good guys they are the usual crew that comes a few times a week to either drop off cars or haul full cars back to Sharon Yard. I don't think the CCET crew is that friendly from what Jaw Tooth says.

LansingRailFan
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by LansingRailFan »

northstar16 wrote:
Fri Nov 06, 2020 7:17 pm
No not random. We talked earlier that day and then I went down under the bridge to fish. They came down and we talked for 20 minutes or so. Good guys they are the usual crew that comes a few times a week to either drop off cars or haul full cars back to Sharon Yard. I don't think the CCET crew is that friendly from what Jaw Tooth says.
CCET hates Jawtooth. Haven’t they called the cops on him a few times?

northstar16
Railroadfan...fan

Jaw Tooth has many followers in the rail spectrum. He is a railfan who really has filmed more CCET movement from Clare to the 76 mile post than anyone. If the owners of the CCET were smart they would use his video to promote the company. I have spoken to the CCET crew a few times not a very friendly bunch. NS crew very friendly. I read somewhere the someone was shooting at the CCET crew as they were going into Newtown I think last fall. Nobody was shot but I think a few boxcars were hit. Not sure if they caught the people doing the shooting or not never heard anymore about that. Shooting cannot be tolerated as that puts the crew at risk.

I was in Newtown just after 12 today saw the CCET going east towards Clare with about 12 mixed loads freight cars and a few tankers. Always glad that the CCET is doing good on the old NS rails.

DaveO
Read more, think more, post less

Unread post by DaveO »

I stopped watching any Jaw Tooth videos due to his tendency to use false/misleading titles for his videos.
He's not the type of person I would use for publicity.

AARR
Ann Arbor RR Nerd

Unread post by AARR »

I'm starting to enjoy this thread and am looking forward to updates especially about new business, operations and changes to the locomotive roster.
PatC created a monster, 'cause nobody wants to see Don Simon no more they want AARR I'm chopped liver, well if you want AARR this is what I'll give ya, bad humor mixed with irrelevant info that'll make you roll your eyes quicker than a ~Z~ banhammer...

northstar16
Railroadfan...fan

Plenty going on with this line now. Top management must have some great connections. For a year or so all they had in storage from what comes down to Clare Yard is empty tankers. Now they have box cars, tankers, trailer haulers that haul semi are being stored on the line now. Not exactly know what they call these flat bed cars but saw several of them being moved east from Clare Yard a week or so ago.

The Ag has been busy with gain hauls and the now with stone coming east and the new transloader site the CCET is going to be busy. With all the property up in Clermont County along 32 there is no telling what is next to be sold to a large company that may use rail service. It will be interesting in a few more years. NS didn't think all this was going to take place on this line after 2012. For awhile there I thought the rail was going to go shut down but the CCET stuck with it and made things happen. I'm glad to see the tracks being full. Not like old times but hey things do change at least the old tracks are seeing new life.

ns8401
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by ns8401 »

northstar16 wrote:
Tue Nov 10, 2020 7:22 pm
Plenty going on with this line now. Top management must have some great connections. For a year or so all they had in storage from what comes down to Clare Yard is empty tankers. Now they have box cars, tankers, trailer haulers that haul semi are being stored on the line now. Not exactly know what they call these flat bed cars but saw several of them being moved east from Clare Yard a week or so ago.

The Ag has been busy with gain hauls and the now with stone coming east and the new transloader site the CCET is going to be busy. With all the property up in Clermont County along 32 there is no telling what is next to be sold to a large company that may use rail service. It will be interesting in a few more years. NS didn't think all this was going to take place on this line after 2012. For awhile there I thought the rail was going to go shut down but the CCET stuck with it and made things happen. I'm glad to see the tracks being full. Not like old times but hey things do change at least the old tracks are seeing new life.
Those are spine cars.
Celebrating Over 3800 Posts in HD
This updated Signature Brought To YOU By The One The Only MQT3001!
NS8401, Online, At Trackside And On Your Side

TC Man
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by TC Man »

I still can't get my brain to think of storing unused rail cars as a railroad. And whoever named their business "The Ag", lol. If you are capitalizing "Ag", that implies that it's a name. Otherwise perhaps refer it to it's proper business name, or just simply "the grain elevator", or "the grain shipper". Sorry, and I'm sure I'll get slammed for this, but proper grammar is important. So I'll silently disappear from this website.
CEO of the Waving Institute- teaching great wave forms.

Pie39
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Pie39 »

I thought I'd chime in briefly, I've only been to the CCET once and was expecting some rude (or at least ignoring) crews. I tried to stay out of the way and give them space, and in return they told me what was in store for the day, and some good spots. They had no issue with me hanging around...as long as I wasn't Jawtooth.

That said a lot to me about Jawtooth.
Modeling the Ann Arbor Railroad in the 70's in N scale.

YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC7JFDy ... ja0S1o7Q9A

scraphauler
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by scraphauler »

Winchester AG Service is the proper name of the company. Folks on this board just call it the ag for whatever reason. WinAg is how most, including NS and CCET, refer to it as.

Flat cars are not for trailers/containers - they are FTTX cars for hauling pickup truck frames.

The Class 1s and their emphasis on PSR have pushed a lot of traffic off to shortlines, included LOADED storage and seasonal storage - it's now cheaper to pay the extra freight and storage than it is to deal with the Class 1 detention policies in many cases. Good source of extra income for a large number of shortlines around the country. Beats the alternative of the line sitting empty.

northstar16
Railroadfan...fan

Spine Cars than you now I know. That you yes Winchester AG Service is a grain company out east of Cincinnati. For a small line with not much rail business in the past the CCET needed revenue and rail car storage delivers revenue to pay for staff and equipment. Most of the siding at one time or another has been full up cars in storage. I for one have lived in Mariemont for over 50 years. Clare Yard was a big hub at one time very busy with many rails in the yard. Today only a few rails remain as most have been pulled.

It is great to see the NS crew guys down at Clare every week and the CCET being busy. IN the future the CCET will be rather busy when the new plant opens up. I expect five day a week traffic most likely.

BigBob’sUsedCarLot
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by BigBob’sUsedCarLot »

Surprised the CCET couldn’t get one of these at an extreme bargain. PSR has sidelined hundreds if not thousands of engines. Pretty interesting video below of BNSF engines sitting by the hundreds.

https://youtu.be/yU_n8L_qiT0

northstar16
Railroadfan...fan

Big Bob I don't think the CCET wants to put powers that are not being used on the sidings. Most of the time the sidings are pretty full with tankers, spines, and box cars of late. Most of there sidings are out east away in remote areas. Powers could get damaged, spray painted or worse. Don't think the CCET wants to be responsible for any engine getting damaged by kids who have nothing better to do than damaging things.

A few weeks ago in did some business down in Kentucky. CSX was siding several gain cars down there looked to be a least 40. I was there for a week. For the most part these cars didn't have any spray paint on them pretty clean which is rather rare. When I left a few days later they most if not all had been spray painted with lettering and whatever else these kids put on cars these days can't even read some of it. For the CCET to put engines out for siding and this kind of stuff happens the CCET would be responsible i would assume.

BigBob’sUsedCarLot
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by BigBob’sUsedCarLot »

northstar16 wrote:
Wed Nov 18, 2020 6:05 pm
Big Bob I don't think the CCET wants to put powers that are not being used on the sidings. Most of the time the sidings are pretty full with tankers, spines, and box cars of late. Most of there sidings are out east away in remote areas. Powers could get damaged, spray painted or worse. Don't think the CCET wants to be responsible for any engine getting damaged by kids who have nothing better to do than damaging things.

A few weeks ago in did some business down in Kentucky. CSX was siding several gain cars down there looked to be a least 40. I was there for a week. For the most part these cars didn't have any spray paint on them pretty clean which is rather rare. When I left a few days later they most if not all had been spray painted with lettering and whatever else these kids put on cars these days can't even read some of it. For the CCET to put engines out for siding and this kind of stuff happens the CCET would be responsible i would assume.
I wasnt talking about storage but more so buying 1 or 2 engines to accommodate increased traffic.

northstar16
Railroadfan...fan

Got it. Not sure what the CCET cash flow is right now. They picked up two powers this year one still isn't in service yet. With more business on the line and movement of stone they need more power for sure.

I would be sure used power is expensive even the old ones. Again not sure what the cash flow is at the CCET but would assume they have enough power for the time being.

heypal6878
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by heypal6878 »

Sorry boys been out of service for a month or so busy at work and at home. I been watching this thread and a few others long with Facebook the Peavine page and the CCET page as well as Jaw Tooth. Yes the Peavine is alive and healthy. Looking at the future the short line should do very well with the new business building on Clermont County. This was a major development between the State and the county putting this together on the Peavine. The new business wants to ship by rail so this will increase rail traffic on the line in 2022.

Then Stone from Plum Run is a big investment for the CCET. Granted the Peavine will most likely never go to Portsmouth again and to rebuild that entire line would costs millions. The State will need to step in for sure. Unless another two major companies build on the line and use the rail five days a week then maybe the State may issue a grant. To me I just don't see it. As long as the traffic can all go west with no problems to Sharon Yard why would they even want to go to Portsmouth. Really doesn't make much sense.

I took a trip out east a month ago followed the rail past the 78 mile marker. There is some potential for more rail that can take additional storage if the CCET wants to put the money up to fix up more rail and looks like a few small bridges that may need some structure work. When I was up that way the CCET didn't have a ton of cars in storage past the 70 mile mark.

It is very exciting news for the CCET to land this business last month out in Clermont County something that has been in the works for months I have been told. The I&O is also doing very well in the Oakley Yard. They have picked up several new businesses up north. I'm very glad that the short rail business is good rather see trains than not abandon rails not being used and pulled up.

northstar16
Railroadfan...fan

Thanks Heypal for the info. I bet you might be busy during there interesting times. I find this site rather interesting. Today with the snow and cold I have been reading many post on here. The two most popular post as far as people viewing the post is the Napoleon, Defiance and Western post the this NS Peavine Talk. Two short rails not NS or CSX the two largest rail transports in Ohio. The CCET that doesn't have a east to west complete line that only operates 78 miles the the Napoleon Defiance and Western that has 50 some miles of rail. Even the I&O doesn't get many hits and the I&O is most likely the longest rail line in Ohio over 78 miles longer than the Peavine with more defined rail yards. The CCET is pushing cars today heard them in Newtown earlier on Roundbottom Road