NS Peavine talk

Anything pertaining to railfanning in Ohio.
AARR
Ann Arbor RR Nerd

Re: NS Peavine talk

Unread post by AARR »

In one of Jaw Tooth's recent video's he shows where the ties are being staged for loading.
mowingman wrote:
Sun May 29, 2022 6:32 pm
Paw95 wrote:
Fri Apr 29, 2022 9:27 pm
CCET adds another customer to the line. McCoy lumber in Peebles is shipping raw cross ties once again by rail.
Where are they loading, on the main? Google Maps does not show any siding at their facility.
PatC created a monster, 'cause nobody wants to see Don Simon no more they want AARR I'm chopped liver, well if you want AARR this is what I'll give ya, bad humor mixed with irrelevant info that'll make you roll your eyes quicker than a ~Z~ banhammer...

DaveO
Read more, think more, post less

Unread post by DaveO »

So it's the south side of the tracks west of Main.
I used incognito so his videos won't be suggested to me.

scraphauler
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by scraphauler »

First car several weeks ago.
Attachments
74F5CEC7-1926-4A6A-BAA7-7A5ED10C1DA8.jpeg
7D6DDE42-2F6C-4442-B3A7-29D7FE813A1E.jpeg

heypal6878
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by heypal6878 »

I was out that way two weeks ago. There are several cars in storage past the Plum Run stone company that have been sitting there in storage for months. Plum Run gravel company is doing pretty much business with the the CCET with a few trips per week. Before I left to go to Michigan last week NS was bringing a line of cars to Clare Yard mixed cars tankers, grain cars, gondolas , etc.

AARR
Ann Arbor RR Nerd

Unread post by AARR »

Who is receiving the aggregate from Plum Run? In the Milford area the satellite view shows a new transload (off the mainline) with a handful of open top hoppers there, some empty and a few loaded.
PatC created a monster, 'cause nobody wants to see Don Simon no more they want AARR I'm chopped liver, well if you want AARR this is what I'll give ya, bad humor mixed with irrelevant info that'll make you roll your eyes quicker than a ~Z~ banhammer...

scraphauler
Railroadfan...fan

Hanson. Unloads on mainline.
Attachments
321D5DFA-4B78-4AA2-BA14-FD275D0B0A13.jpeg

AARR
Ann Arbor RR Nerd

Unread post by AARR »

Thank you. That is the place I saw on the satellite view.
scraphauler wrote:
Sun Jul 10, 2022 8:12 pm
Hanson. Unloads on mainline.

heypal6878
Railroadfan...fan

The CCET is really busy this summer. They have picked up a couple of businesses and the Melvin stone company is really using the rail. The Purnia plant is off schedule but wow was just up there the other day that place is giant. The spur in nearly ready.

My buddy in Mariemont said I hope there isn't going to be more rail traffic on these siding down here. I said hate to say it pal but there will be far more traffic in the new few months. Might want to get some ear plugs.

scraphauler
Railroadfan...fan

Melvin is wholly owned subsidiary of the John R Jurgensen Company and is on the I&O - not CCET. Their stone is for their internal use at their asphalt plants and highway construction projects.

Hanson is on CCET. The are part of Lehigh Hanson, who is a wholly owned subsidiary of Heidelberg Cement Group auf Deutchland. They are a retail yard selling any volume to anyone needing it. Very different model from Melvin.

Purina has not started their spur yet. They might be doing some work inside plant in rail (but weren’t as of a couple weeks ago). No schedule yet for when CCET will install switch and build the 1100 of lead through the wetlands to connect to Purina’s eventual 10,000 ft of track.

Heck, your buddy should be more concerned with Thoroughbred Terminals expansion plans than CCET’s interchange.

heypal6878
Railroadfan...fan

My bad I was looking at an article about Melvin Stone and posting this at the same time. I meant to say Hanson.

I have been out of town most of the month back and forth but never heard anything or read anything about Thouroughbread terminals expansion. Not sure what you mean by that nothing on any CCET thread.

redside20
i don't give a fark about your PM

Unread post by redside20 »

what can you tell me about this thorobread terminal expansion? is there an article i can read? where is the terminal located?
Exit stage left

heypal6878
Railroadfan...fan

I'm sure there isn't an article. I have not read anything anywhere about a thoroubread terminal expansion. Typical Peavine haters on this page trying to stir the pot.

scraphauler
Railroadfan...fan

Not stirring pot and certainly not a Peavine hater. Just love some of the authoritative posts from people talking out of their ass not having any first hand knowledge of what’s going on. Some of the things stated as fact have been laughable.

As for TBT, there is no article. TBT is just growing - adding volume = more rail cars on hand, more track restored to service, and the biggy, more trucks in and out onto Wooster. That’s were the NIMBY’s biggest concern is - more trucks in and out, more activity unloading. CCET interchange is the least of the worry (or should be) - it’s generally quiet from a neighbor point of view (although some folks on Miami Run get whiney about seeing more cars across the street).

heypal6878
Railroadfan...fan

Okay got it just that there are a few people on here bad about the Peavine. You would think that everyone on here would support railroads since this is a railroad forum but no there are a few that really don't like the CCET or want to see it fail or just start to stir the pot so to speak.

Yes back in the day when NW now NS ran the Clare Yard they had about 10 rails in the yard and push cars all day and night long often kicking cars. Kicking cars could be loud and residents on the Bluff complained to Mariemont Police weekly. The police couldn't do anything as well at the time that is how the railroad operated down there.

Now, where does the CCET move cars when they get busy this fall in winter? Purina will be opening maybe in the winter or next spring. Hard to tell at this point as building materials are hard to come by. Either way, the CCET may have issues with moving cars. There are two sidings east of Clare that can hold several cars and one track is always in use. Going west there are two tracks that NS using to bring cars and take cars back from Sharon Yard. The south track is rarely used so they could store cars on that track which is about a mile long.

As far as Clare Yard there are only 4 tracks left in that yard I was in shock when I went down there yesterday. That yard is cleaned out big time only a few tankers in there for Bulkamatic I guess. The CCET can not use Clare Yard. Really the tracks there are not very long anyway.

The other option is the CCET yard west of Broadwell Road they have that pretty well filled up most of the time but there is siding on the other side of Broadwell.

Down the road something needs to happen as you said the CCET will have more volume of cars for companies on the line plus their business car storage. Track maintenance will be needed constantly when things start heating up. Surely don't want any derails.

It should get interesting here soon and well as far as Mariemont residents on the Bluff well it won't be as bad as it was in the 50,s through the 80s as Clare Yard doesn't have the tracks or the traffic it did. Trains are more quieter than they were back in the day so really the only noise would be dropping off cars and picking them up. Guess we will just have to see how much rail traffic will increase in that area in the new few months.

scraphauler
Railroadfan...fan

I would agree that there are a few on here that have bad info on the Peavine. But I think you and I might disagree who those people are :lol:

Purina is NOT opening this fall or next spring. I don't know where you are getting your information, but it is wrong. Since I've got a few minutes, let me spell this out for you

1) Purina WILL use rail (and will use more than a car or two a day as some have insinuated)
2) Purina is scheduled to start work on rail infrastructure INSIDE their plant yet this fall
3) Rail Infrastructure in plant will consist of a 12-14 car long tank car track, a grain unloading track and 3 storage tracks. In all, 10,000 to 11,000 feet of track and 9 turnouts. Tail track of yard will be against the SR 32 fence line
4) CCET, at CCET expense, will construct a turnout in Afton yard and 1,100 feet of track through the wetlands to connect to Purina trackage. Cost will be into 7 figures.
5) A portion of the CCET funding is via an ORDC grant, balance CCET will have to arrange.
6) CCET funding is dependent upon a tri-lateral agreement between NS, CCET, and Purina. An agreement that in general terms everyone is on board with, but the details and formal agreement are all still pending.
7) Once agreement is signed, given material and contractor lead times and amount of drainage and ground stabilization work required, you are an absolute MINIMUM of 10 months from signature to first car, likely more like 12 to 14 months
8) So, if agreement magically comes together this week, you most likely are talking mid August 2023 before revenue rail service wound commence.

Anyone who tells you otherwise, be it your buddy in Atlanta, or the train crew at McDonalds, does not know what they are talking about and is only repeating bits and pieces of things they mid have heard discussed and/or taken out of context.

How CCET/NS interchange is going to work in the future is heavily dependent on volume at plant, as well as addition projects CCET in in the running for. The projects not public knowledge yet could result in a handful to dozens of new cars, and PURINA VOLUME IS CURRENTLY UNKNOWN. Purina will contractually obligate themselves to CCET and NS for a minimum number of cars per year. The plant will be Purina's flagship plant and be able to produce everything in their pet food lineup. In THEIR perfect world, plant will make a 50/50 mix of premium products and "grocery store" products - premium are either grain free or use ancient grains, while the grocery store stuff is higher in corn, beans, and other filler. In this perfect world, all of their oils, fats, etc will come in by rail tank car, all of the meals (soy, corn, chicken, fish, bone, etc), rice, flaxseed, milo will come in by rail covered hopper and rail p/d hopper, and all of their corn, soybeans, and wheat will be sourced locally by truck. Run heavier premium, more meals and oils are needed. Run heavier cheap stuff, more corn and beans needed. How successful will they be in sourcing corn and beans by truck? None of these answers are known yet - Purina is still running computer simulations, doing research, and analyzing their various options before the can determine what volume they are comfortable contractually obligating themselves to. Once they do that, the agreement spelled out can be finalized.

So, until all parties know what is going on with Purina, and there is clarity on how the other proposed projects might play out, CCET/NS interchange stays status quo. Currently, CCET delivers to the 4-track former PRR yard, NS delivers to the former N&W passing track that runs from Wooster Pike to just west of the River bridge, and NS switches TBT. Lots of moving parts inside NS will determine what happens long term. Maybe nothing changes. Maybe there's added capacity at Clare or elsewhere. Maybe you see CCET going to Sharonville. Any and all options are on the table and being discussed. But for the time being, it's status quo with TBT's volume continuing to grow.

AARR
Ann Arbor RR Nerd

Unread post by AARR »

scraphauler, thank you for the very good information. I enjoyed reading it.

redside20

You wont find me talking trash about the peavine but its odd how people like hiser and schwiebert wrote off this line as a future bike trail when ford closed and ns wrote the line off when they rerouted traffic. Whats the status of Berry Yard these days, i know ns downsized that and the hyde park branch a few years back. Could ns bring back moraine, berry for support if more traffic is materialized between ns and ccet?
Exit stage left

scraphauler
Railroadfan...fan

Plenty of room at Sharonville. Why would you want to go all the way to Moraine and Berry would be less useful than any other solution (Unless you plan on relaying the line up Wauson Way and thru Xavier). The realistic, not fantasy, options being discussed all strictly involve Clare or Sharonville, with the outside (and unlikely) option of involving IORY as an intermediate.

And before anyone even thinks of it, NO, NOTHING IS GOING EAST. Yes, CCET has option to extend lease to east of end end Rarden Siding should need arise. Need has never surfaced. But beyond that, there is ZERO thoughts, plans, discussions, needs, wants, desires, etc. of going further east of that or reconnecting at Vera. Only reason CCET would ever push to go east would be if NS would allow DIRECT access to an Ohio River Port. Fat chance of that ever happening.

redside20

Well, I look at it like this We'll just start with CCET themselves and focus on what they have west of Plum Run nuff said
Exit stage left

redside20

Our man scraphauler has done it again! see the latest rail business that has located to the milford at roundbottom road.

https://homesteadrailgroup.com/news/
Exit stage left