NS Peavine talk

Anything pertaining to railfanning in Ohio.
AARR
Ann Arbor RR Nerd

Re: NS Peavine talk

Unread post by AARR »

Sounds like a lot of grain or stone cars

Edit: I watched JawTooth's video after i posted and saw it was mixed freight with quite a few box cars and gondola's
northstar16 wrote:
Thu Jul 29, 2021 5:59 pm
The GP15-1 makes its first haul on the lead engine going East on the Peavine to Batavia with 29 cars on the load.
PatC created a monster, 'cause nobody wants to see Don Simon no more they want AARR I'm chopped liver, well if you want AARR this is what I'll give ya, bad humor mixed with irrelevant info that'll make you roll your eyes quicker than a ~Z~ banhammer...

northstar16
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by northstar16 »

Both of the GP15-1s have been down at Clare this past week dropping off full cars on the siding. First time I have seen them up close they look great going to need them to haul all the stone from Plum Run. I see something on the old Penn tracks tonight looks like NS coming to pick up these full cars maybe bringing new cars to take out east. They are idle on the tracks out west not moving been there for ten minutes or so.

heypal6878
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by heypal6878 »

Hello all, haven't been around for a month of so. Now semi retired I can now start rail fanning more. A few years back I thought that the Peavine would die off as they only have on major business the Ag and the customer at the old Ford plant with some storage.

Now the Peavine is very busy with added customers and a new one down the road will provide major revenue for the rail company. The storage business is not as strong as it was months ago but it looks like not they are storing other cars not all empty tankers.

I like the new GP 15-1 units plus they are easy to see just hope the kids don't spray paint stuff on them. Everyone would hate to see that happen.

I'm going to take a trip out east here soon follow the line all the way to Vera. Haven't been to Vera in a long time. As a young adult I would take some fishing trips out that way and would see the NS on the tracks going either east or west with long loads.

Thanks NorthStar for keeping up with the line down at Clare Yard.

heypal6878
Railroadfan...fan

Had a report today that the new Purina Plant is really starting to take shape looks like they will be ready to operate by mid spring. This will bring big business for the CCET with maybe a four or five day work load.

BigBob’sUsedCarLot
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by BigBob’sUsedCarLot »

This will be fun to watch!

heypal6878
Railroadfan...fan

I see more news came out today the Ohio Rail Development Commission approved a grant for $150,000 to the CCET to provide rail service to the new Purina facility in Batavia.

These funds will be used to help construct a 1,1000 foot connecting track, the last piece of rail infrastructure need to link the CCET to the Purina facility to ensure timely, effective rail service.

More information is on the Ohio Rail Development Website.

This is great news as the Purina site will be operational by the end of next spring bringing over 500 jobs to the area and a ton of rail service to the Peavine.

AARR
Ann Arbor RR Nerd

Unread post by AARR »

I've been watching video's of CCET and haven't seen many aggregate cars. Is that business done for the season?
PatC created a monster, 'cause nobody wants to see Don Simon no more they want AARR I'm chopped liver, well if you want AARR this is what I'll give ya, bad humor mixed with irrelevant info that'll make you roll your eyes quicker than a ~Z~ banhammer...

heypal6878
Railroadfan...fan

True of late not many aggregated cars have been moved. The stone plant on Plum Run uses these cars so does Cohen Recyclable not sure what is going on there. Cohen only does a few cars a week or every two weeks.

Grain will be a big mover now as the Ag will be shipping down plenty of grain in the next few weeks. I must say the Peavine is busy out east many projects going on getting ready for next spring.

PeavineEnthusiast
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by PeavineEnthusiast »

Anyone know what the status of the SD-40-2"s stored on the line is?

midland sub
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by midland sub »

They are just being stored for their owner and not for the CET.

heypal6878
Railroadfan...fan

Its been awhile since I posted so for the few on here that are interested here is the latest. The transloader is operational in Newtown. The CCET has been using it weekly hauling rock from Plum Run.

Storage has been strong a week or so ago 96 or 97 cars went out east stored on the very end of the line. Jaw Tooth has a video of that on his channel. Was down at Clare Yard today there is a sting on cars on the siding. NS working the small yard there today as well as they have some tankers in the yard for Bulkmatic. Also today saw a NS highrailer on the PRR rails going slowly west maybe inspecting the rails.

Business on the line has been brisk Huhtamaki has been rather busy as they have expanded their lines of products many box cars have been coming and leaving the plant every week. The Ag is busy as well.

I was up looked at the Purnia building and it Is really being put up fast. Working inside now the shell is up. The CCET did get a grant to put in the spur for the plant this should all be operational by late spring or early summer.

There has been some talk about expanding the rail past the 78 mile marker for more CCET tanker and car storage but not sure if that is going to happen so far all rumors.

LansingRailFan
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by LansingRailFan »

heypal6878 wrote:
Sat Nov 27, 2021 3:17 pm
Its been awhile since I posted so for the few on here that are interested here is the latest. The transloader is operational in Newtown. The CCET has been using it weekly hauling rock from Plum Run.

Storage has been strong a week or so ago 96 or 97 cars went out east stored on the very end of the line. Jaw Tooth has a video of that on his channel. Was down at Clare Yard today there is a sting on cars on the siding. NS working the small yard there today as well as they have some tankers in the yard for Bulkmatic. Also today saw a NS highrailer on the PRR rails going slowly west maybe inspecting the rails.

Business on the line has been brisk Huhtamaki has been rather busy as they have expanded their lines of products many box cars have been coming and leaving the plant every week. The Ag is busy as well.

I was up looked at the Purnia building and it Is really being put up fast. Working inside now the shell is up. The CCET did get a grant to put in the spur for the plant this should all be operational by late spring or early summer.

There has been some talk about expanding the rail past the 78 mile marker for more CCET tanker and car storage but not sure if that is going to happen so far all rumors.
https://youtu.be/q-nkspRdIyQ

Looks like they shoved a DKPX coal train further back to the end of the line with those SHPX tank cars and then the CEMX two-bay CHs on the head.

It looks like the line goes much further past Jaybird Rd where it’s out of service. Is there any specific reason as to why it’s out of service?

redcrumbox
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by redcrumbox »

LansingRailFan, further east. https://youtu.be/BqvHjdqWQI8?t=310
Old EMD’s are the gift that keeps on giving.

Paw95
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Paw95 »

I was told by a railroad worker that NS is the reason that CCET can’t get the siding in Rarden. Have no idea why they will not let them lease it. He also said they was wanting it for the stone trains.

heypal6878
Railroadfan...fan

Past Jay Bird or at the derail area, the tracks need some work. They may be good for two maybe three miles after that the ties are suspect. Really now heavy rail traffic has been on this part of the line for many many years everything out that way needs work.

As you can see on Paw video there are washouts the tracks will need to be pulled new ties put down talking the CCET will need to spend some money getting everything set before any cars can be stored out that way.

NSPeavineFan
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by NSPeavineFan »

Are the stone trains weekly now? It says on their website that they ran their first revenue stone train from Plum Run on November 29, 2021. Also, how is the Purina plant going?

AARR
Ann Arbor RR Nerd

Unread post by AARR »

Seems like they were hauling stone before Nov. 29th. However, I never saw a block longer than around 10 cars.
NSPeavineFan wrote:
Tue Dec 28, 2021 11:22 am
Are the stone trains weekly now? It says on their website that they ran their first revenue stone train from Plum Run on November 29, 2021.

redside20
i don't give a fark about your PM

Unread post by redside20 »

Also look up Jim Nobbes , Homestead Rail

https://homesteadrailgroup.com/
Exit stage left

NSPeavineFan
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by NSPeavineFan »

Yes they were hauling stone before November 29th. But before that date, it was not for revenue. It was basically only hauled if needed for railway repairs and construction.
Last edited by NSPeavineFan on Tue Dec 28, 2021 8:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.

h2466
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by h2466 »

NSPeavineFan wrote:
Tue Dec 28, 2021 3:48 pm
Yes they were hauling stone before November 29th. But before that date, it was not revenue. It was for commercial construction.
So they were hauling the commerercail stone for free??