NS Peavine talk

Anything pertaining to railfanning in Ohio.
heypal6878
Railroadfan...fan

Re: NS Peavine talk

Unread post by heypal6878 »

My buddy Alex who lived here in Cincinnati for years moved to Atlanta just over a year ago after he was promoted by NS. Today we talked about the Peavine. Alex lived by the Peavine tracks for years when he and his wife purchase a home in Newtown. Back in the day NS ran this line often. I have informed him about what is going on with the new business the CCET has picked up and will be picking up in the new year or two with the recent developments.

Since he doesn't work in Cincinnati any longer but does work for NS who does the transportation for the CCET moving cars back and forth to Sharon Yard he said with the new business on the line and with this future development up east the short line will continue to do very well into the future. He said most likely NS even with new business on the line NS will not attempt to take over this line ever again. The focus for NS is not short lines any longer. They are focused on move large amounts of freight, high dollar amounts of cargo. Most of their money comes from coal transportation however that business is not what it was long ago. Now NS is doing well but the business is moving to containers in recent years. Not as much money in that as the costs of the yards to expand to build the container lifts are expensive.

The question about opening up the Peavine to Portsmouth came in play. Alex said why would the CCET want to open the line all the way to Portsmouth right now with the business they now have. NS is moving cars back and forth for a fee. There is not advantage for the CCET to spend millions to open the rail all the way. NS may not even allow them to do it. The bridge at Vera would costs millions and it may not even be sound to handle heavy loads. Now if counties up north get major business to develop along the line like may manufacturing companies that build military motorized equipment or a automobile manufacture like Honda or Hyundai then maybe there is a outside chance the State may fund the construction. Really Alex said the Portsmouth Yard has been downsized in recent years NS really doesn't want much traffic in that yard anymore.

Sharon Yard is the best option Portsmouth is out of the question from what Alex said. NS is looking to spend some money on Sharon Yard in the future as they are looking into to some renovations there.

The CCET has a great business plan in place the way I see it Alex said. The counties up east want to companies to develop along the rail line. They have car storage plenty of money to keep the line going there. They brought new business on the line that helps. Long term they should just do fine and 78 miles of track is all they need to maintain a good profit.

northstar16
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by northstar16 »

ccet green.jpg
New addition to the CCET rail road last month.

northstar16
Railroadfan...fan

I just received an email on the new power for CCET seen above. AS far as i know the new power is not in service yet. I haven't seen it down here at Clare Yard or on the siding in recent weeks. Maybe it needs some work before they send it out for service . I think the NS crew said it came all the way from the west coast.

wildcatsa1fan
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by wildcatsa1fan »

Modoc northern Loco gents

ns8401
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by ns8401 »

wildcatsa1fan wrote:
Mon Dec 07, 2020 3:41 pm
Modoc northern Loco gents
B23-7 Supposedly built as Southern 3974.
Celebrating Over 3800 Posts in HD
This updated Signature Brought To YOU By The One The Only MQT3001!
NS8401, Online, At Trackside And On Your Side

BigBob’sUsedCarLot
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by BigBob’sUsedCarLot »

I posted this earlier, but with the insane amount of modern, efficient, powerful locos sitting in yards collecting dust, I’m baffled as to why class A RR’s don’t try to offload a couple to short lines rather than let them sit and take up more lease payments. Instead CCET buy these old clunkers. Doesn’t seem smart on either end but what do I know.

ns8401
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by ns8401 »

BigBob’sUsedCarLot wrote:
Mon Dec 07, 2020 11:58 pm
I posted this earlier, but with the insane amount of modern, efficient, powerful locos sitting in yards collecting dust, I’m baffled as to why class A RR’s don’t try to offload a couple to short lines rather than let them sit and take up more lease payments. Instead CCET buy these old clunkers. Doesn’t seem smart on either end but what do I know.
Those old clunkers are cheap.

midland sub
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by midland sub »

So those modern, efficient locos in storage have been built in the last 20 years have a large problem for shortlines and regionals, anything built after 2000 have those expensive and complicated EPA Tier regulated motors. Now if you have say $1 million dollars sitting around I'll be more than happy to take the burden of worrying what to do with it, and let our friends at the CET use that capital to buy one of those said locos and all the extra parts and equipment to maintain them. Don't hold your breath on getting much of a return on that capital.....

midland sub
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by midland sub »

Imagine the same stuff I told you five years ago actually was correct....... :roll:

heypal6878 wrote:
Sun Dec 06, 2020 1:04 pm
My buddy Alex who lived here in Cincinnati for years moved to Atlanta just over a year ago after he was promoted by NS. Today we talked about the Peavine. Alex lived by the Peavine tracks for years when he and his wife purchase a home in Newtown. Back in the day NS ran this line often. I have informed him about what is going on with the new business the CCET has picked up and will be picking up in the new year or two with the recent developments.

Since he doesn't work in Cincinnati any longer but does work for NS who does the transportation for the CCET moving cars back and forth to Sharon Yard he said with the new business on the line and with this future development up east the short line will continue to do very well into the future. He said most likely NS even with new business on the line NS will not attempt to take over this line ever again. The focus for NS is not short lines any longer. They are focused on move large amounts of freight, high dollar amounts of cargo. Most of their money comes from coal transportation however that business is not what it was long ago. Now NS is doing well but the business is moving to containers in recent years. Not as much money in that as the costs of the yards to expand to build the container lifts are expensive.

The question about opening up the Peavine to Portsmouth came in play. Alex said why would the CCET want to open the line all the way to Portsmouth right now with the business they now have. NS is moving cars back and forth for a fee. There is not advantage for the CCET to spend millions to open the rail all the way. NS may not even allow them to do it. The bridge at Vera would costs millions and it may not even be sound to handle heavy loads. Now if counties up north get major business to develop along the line like may manufacturing companies that build military motorized equipment or a automobile manufacture like Honda or Hyundai then maybe there is a outside chance the State may fund the construction. Really Alex said the Portsmouth Yard has been downsized in recent years NS really doesn't want much traffic in that yard anymore.

Sharon Yard is the best option Portsmouth is out of the question from what Alex said. NS is looking to spend some money on Sharon Yard in the future as they are looking into to some renovations there.

The CCET has a great business plan in place the way I see it Alex said. The counties up east want to companies to develop along the rail line. They have car storage plenty of money to keep the line going there. They brought new business on the line that helps. Long term they should just do fine and 78 miles of track is all they need to maintain a good profit.

ns8401
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by ns8401 »

midland sub wrote:
Tue Dec 08, 2020 5:53 pm
So those modern, efficient locos in storage have been built in the last 20 years have a large problem for shortlines and regionals, anything built after 2000 have those expensive and complicated EPA Tier regulated motors. Now if you have say $1 million dollars sitting around I'll be more than happy to take the burden of worrying what to do with it, and let our friends at the CET use that capital to buy one of those said locos and all the extra parts and equipment to maintain them. Don't hold your breath on getting much of a return on that capital.....
That and switching with a widecab is not the most fun.

northstar16
Railroadfan...fan

Not sure if the CCET wants to get much capital from these old engines but they need some power motors to move heavy stone. They don't have the money to invest in new equipment so they go for older outdated.

The CCET is going to start pulling plenty of stone going west from the 76 mile mark they need power to do so. They are not worried about paint jobs just need plenty of power

northstar16
Railroadfan...fan

It will be interesting when the movement of stone comes east and the new business opens in 2022 that is going to need a four to five days movement of freight cars east and west plus the Ag and other business and storage on the peavine will the CCET use the rails in Clare Yard? I just see they will need more places to side all of these cars and Clare Yard has four of five rails there now some are not in use most of the time.

Paw95
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Paw95 »

That Green locomotive is setting in Sardinia right now. Saw it today while I was out that way. Setting on a spur inside the Sardinia wye track

Paw95
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Paw95 »

CCET has a crap load of hopper cars inside of plum run. They also have several at lawshe siding along with a few tank and flat cars .on the main from 74.4 at plum run all the way to pine gap Trestle they have flat cars in storage. The derail is still on the rail at jaybird road.

BigBob’sUsedCarLot
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by BigBob’sUsedCarLot »

Paw95 wrote:
Fri Dec 18, 2020 12:40 am
That Green locomotive is setting in Sardinia right now. Saw it today while I was out that way. Setting on a spur inside the Sardinia wye track
They’ve had it since atleast early summer...

northstar16
Railroadfan...fan

Big Bob think the new power is sitting on the sidelines as it needs some work before it can be put into service. That is what I heard this past week. Not the best paint job but it does stand out I must say.

Plenty of cars were on the siding east of Clare Yard this week for sure the line is much busier than it last year at this time.

northstar16
Railroadfan...fan

Well my buddy Heypal which most of you know on this thread received a cool Christmas gift from a unknown person last week. He came home from work and had a gift on this front porch wrapped in Christmas paper. So he took it in the house. He said it was six feet high felt like a door of some kind and was perplexed as to what it was.

Then he opened it. Sure enough it was wood a French door. Yet on the French door in the middle was a five foot long document of the 1919 plans of Clare Yard. Pictured was all the buildings there the roundhouse, all the tracks including the coal car overhead tracks along the hillside, tracks going over the river to Newtown, tracks going west to Red Bank Road the old PRR tracks going east to west. I had to go over to his house to look at it and it is very cool. So I said wonder if this is an original document? Heypal said when he was young his dad and him would fish in the Little Miami River down by Clare Yard. There was a restaurant there by the name of the YMCA and on the wall there was a document like this one hanging there.

In the 60s there was a control burn down at Clare Yard. The building the restaurant was in was empty for a few years and the railroad was going to knock it down but they worked out a deal with the local fire departments to do a controlled burn for training exercises. We both think that the fire chief for the Madison Place Fire Department who worked at NW Clare Yard took the document off the wall to save it. His name was John Vance.

He has since long passed away but that document may have gone to his son in law who was also Chief of the now Little Miami Fire Department. We think his son or wife may have left that document on Heypal's porch.

Now the most awesome part is it an original document or is it a reprint. Heypal said a member of the Cincinnati Eastern Hills Railroad on Facebook message him and said to look for a document number on the far right bottom of the print. He gave Heypal a number and if it matched that was it. Sure enough it did match and it is the original.

Today Heypal is going to put this in storage in another property he owns. It may go in the historical society in the area maybe on consignment for others to enjoy. Hats off to the person who stored this document for so many years. It is a real treasure. I will inform Heypal to send me a picture as he has been rather busy of late.

northstar16
Railroadfan...fan

clare.jpeg
Hope this works so here is the picture that Heypal sent of the the Clare Yard original document today that he received from some on Christmas.
Attachments
clare.jpeg
clare.jpeg

northstar16
Railroadfan...fan

NS has brought over 90 cars for storage to the CCET siding at Clare Yard last week. All have been moved this past week up east. This is the most mixed car drop off I have seen other than tankers. Looks like concrete hoppers for the most part and some tankers. At one point all the siding down at Clare that the CCET has was occupied. Rather amazing as that is major money for the line for the winter months.

heypal6878
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by heypal6878 »

Sorry I have been rather busy as we are doing a major construction project at work and haven't had much time for anything else. I did take a trip along the Peavine last weekend and see the CCET has many cars in storage out east. The rails have a shine talked to a guy who lives on Roundbottom Road near my old fishing hole. He said the CCET is very active moving cars east to west or west to east a few times a week sometimes they have as many as 20 plus cars in tow and has many as 50. Most of that is storage. He said what was all tankers is not mixed cars. So they must have a contract with another company. Either way he said that is money in the bank they can use for staffing, equipment etc. This guy worked for CSX back in the day loves to see the CCET bring the Peavine back to life after NS left it high and dry. He isn't much on NS as he said the company went downhill after the early 80s. They don't care about their personnel. All they care about is keeping their shareholders happy. That is about right as own a ton of NS and the price is well over 200 a share and going higher. Looks to be another stock split here soon and the company pays a nice dividend.

Mac said that with more store coming out of Hanson most likely the CCET will need to shore up the rails in spots. Heavier loads might take a toll on the rails that haven't seen much maintenance for many years in certain spots along the line. Since Mac was on the MOW crew with CSX he looks at the rails and see things. Safety is a main concern of CSX and their MOW crew.

Yes the siding at Clare has been full of late I have noticed that when I get gas at Kroger's. Last night I came home from work at NS was picking up a load on the siding or dropping off some. Couldn't tell but they were on the siding blowing the horn at 8:00 p.m.

Northstar hope all is good with you and the family. Had to take one of my co workers to Christ Hospital today as he has Covid really bad. Getting the Trump shot. He followed me to Christ in his car as he has no clue how to get there he is from Turkey. He nearly ran off the road several times this morning he looks really bad has had it for over a week. I can't believe how many people think this is still a hoax. He thinks he got it at Walmart in Fairfax last week when he went grocery shopping. Said there was a lady in line sweating like crazy and coughing. He said a day or two later he was very sick sleeping most of the day and now can't breath. He called the dr. he said go to Christ right away we need to give you the Trump shot. Now waiting to see if they admit him for a stay.

Take care railfans mask up stay safe!