NS Peavine talk

Anything pertaining to railfanning in Ohio.
redside20
i don't give a fark about your PM

NS Peavine talk

Unread post by redside20 »

A reliable source told us last night at the MVRR slide show that NS will be contracting out the Peebles-Clare Yard section to Frontier Rail and Local T51 will be abolished. He also told us that no part of the Peavine even the railbanked section from Peebles to Vera is not to be abandoned and is being saved for future rail usage. NS will retain full ownership of Clare Yard but Frontier Rail will run out of Clare Yard to Peebles. As for Frontier Rail themselves, I never even knew of them until last night. When this is taking place he wouldn't say.

http://www.frontierrail.com/

For those of you who are unfamiliar with the Peavine and Clare Yard, this is on the east side of Cincinnati.
Exit stage left

Y@
Ass. Janitor

Re: NS Peavine talk

Unread post by Y@ »

I can confirm this via a source that was also in the bidding for taking over operations.

bluestreak81
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by bluestreak81 »

Will Afton to Peebles be used anymore?

midland sub
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by midland sub »

Frontier is affiliated with Ohi-rail (don't know the details). Interesting all they are getting is basically two customers on a long stretch of track. Hyumataki just stared up production of food grade packaging cups in part of the old Bativia Ford transmission plant. That's it other than the tie place in Peebles.

redside20
i don't give a fark about your PM

Unread post by redside20 »

midland sub wrote:Frontier is affiliated with Ohi-rail (don't know the details). Interesting all they are getting is basically two customers on a long stretch of track. Hyumataki just stared up production of food grade packaging cups in part of the old Bativia Ford transmission plant. That's it other than the tie place in Peebles.
No grain traffic coming out of Winchester? Our source told us that Frontier Rail has an affinity for bringing in new customers but it's to early to tell if any or new customers pop up along the Peavine. So who knows.
Exit stage left

midland sub
Railroadfan...fan

Frontier is a contractor switcher. Ohi-rail other than the fracking business hasn't done anything other than take anything the ORDC will give them in grant money. Grain business is dead in Winchester. NS isn't interested in it so it's a better deal to truck it to CBG in Cincy.

railohio
Photographer of Wires in America by Rail of Ohio & Wisconsin

Unread post by railohio »

Norfolk Southern Railway Company-Discontinuance of Service Exemption-in Clermont, Brown and Adams Counties, Ohio

On September 30, 2014, Norfolk Southern Railway Company (NSR) filed with the Surface Transportation Board (Board) a petition under 49 U.S.C. 10502 for exemption from the provisions of 49 U.S.C. 10903 to discontinue rail service over approximately 40.7 miles of rail line between milepost CT 32.83 at Williamsburg and milepost CT 73.50 at Plum Run in Clermont, Brown and Adams Counties, Ohio.

NSR states that the line includes the stations of Eastwood, Mt. Oreb, Sardinia, Mowrystown, Macon, Winchester, Seaman, Lawshe, Peebles, and Plum Run, all of which will be discontinued. Williamsburg is currently a station on the line, however, it will not be discontinued because NSR's Clare (Cincinnati)—Williamsburg, Ohio segment immediately to the west of and contiguous with the subject line is currently operated by CCET, LLC.
Source: https://www.federalregister.gov/article ... -and-adams
"I shot the freight train / But I did not shoot the fantrip"

midland sub
Railroadfan...fan

Interesting filing since there was a lot of behind the scenes work to get something up and running with the quarry at Plum Run, but there is also a change in mangement too on the CCET so maybe it's now dead.

brc0227
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by brc0227 »

A couple weeks ago a bunch of the division heads at NS hyrailed the peavine from Vera to Plum Run. Any of you heard anything about this?

cbehr91
Chairman of the Bored

Unread post by cbehr91 »

brc0227 wrote:A couple weeks ago a bunch of the division heads at NS hyrailed the peavine from Vera to Plum Run. Any of you heard anything about this?
Yes. It's totally routine for them to hi-rail it periodically as they still own it. I believe it's an FRA requirement.

midland sub
Railroadfan...fan

If I have to explain this to another foamer..... It was not top or mid level management that did the hi-rail trip over the Peavine. Cory is spot on that it was nothing more than the required twice a year trip over he line. Yes there was a manager with them, but it was local guy out of Portsmouth. The old railroad version of telephone with a foamer worked like a charm with someone as they bought it hook, line and sinker... Line is DEAD......... DEEEEEEEEEAAAAADDDD......... DO WE ALL UNDERSTAND....? NS has better options than the Peavine and it's called the OC and more importantly the CFE to bail them out of traffic congestion.

brc0227
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by brc0227 »

First off I'm not a foamer. I work for NS. And as I said. The division heads hyrailed it. And yes they do have a requirement to hyrail it every year. But division heads aren't required to go on those trips. I know for a fact that the Division engineer and assistant division engineer hyrailed it. There were others that hyrailed it too. But I don't know them as well.

cbehr91
Chairman of the Bored

Unread post by cbehr91 »

Not. Going. To. Happen.

Next?

brc0227
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by brc0227 »

Never said it was going to happen. All I said was that it was hyrailed by division heads. And asked if anyone knew or heard any reason why. Division heads are not required to hyrail that line. Especially from multiple departments.

brc0227
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by brc0227 »

This is not the first time NS has done that either. Back towards the end of 2006. The last time traffic levels were similar to what they are now. The division heads hyrailed it to see what the cost of reopening it would be. They opted not to go through with it then. And I'm not saying that's what they're doing now. Just seeing what people know.

midland sub
Railroadfan...fan

That's why they are going to remove the switch at Vera..... Work out of Cincy or Portsmouth?

brc0227
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by brc0227 »

They replaced the switch at Vera earlier this year. When they layed the switch they put a hand throw switch in it's place. And I work out of Portsmouth.

CG Tower
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by CG Tower »

brc0227 wrote:They replaced the switch at Vera earlier this year. When they layed the switch they put a hand throw switch in it's place. And I work out of Portsmouth.
The Columbus District was my old stomping grounds having grown up in Ashville. We were just in Portsmouth last Sunday and visited the hallowed ground at Spring Lane. I hate to Spring Lane and Vera interlocking(s) go...

Shot the track geometry heading west:

ImageThe Brick by CG Tower, MP 142.3, on Flickr

And an eastbound splitting signals:

ImageSplitting Signals by CG Tower, MP 142.3, on Flickr

CG Tower
-You are speaking in nonsense. This troubles me.

See all of my photos at: http://www.flickr.com/photos/cgtower/

CG Tower
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by CG Tower »

The Peavine is not likely to reopen any time soon, however, NS is wise not to just to a slash and burn approach to its removal, that could have easily happened.

Not sure what the answer would be on the brass hi-railing the line...other then maybe to doing a valuation of the line...but its hard to say.

Enjoyed riding the 611 over that line back in the day...

CG Tower
-You are speaking in nonsense. This troubles me.

See all of my photos at: http://www.flickr.com/photos/cgtower/

brc0227
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by brc0227 »

My understanding is they were doing just that. Evaluating what it would take to reopen it. Not saying they will open it. Because I'm sure it'll cost them. But right now NS is facing the possibility of losing some of it's Fed ex and ups trains because of the fact that we can barely get 50% of those trains to their destination on time. And the main reason is the congestion between Bellevue and Chicago. So I believe they are considering all options right now to help improve that traffic. I'm not saying they're going to reopen it. It wouldn't surprise me if it continues to sit there and rot as it has the last 10 years. But the fact is. Like I said above. They're considering all options right now. And the peavine. However much of a long shot it is. Is an option.