Napoleon, Defiance and Western: The Definitive Thread

Anything pertaining to railfanning in Ohio.
AARR
Ann Arbor RR Nerd

Re: Napoleon, Defiance and Western: The Definitive Thread

Unread post by AARR »

Thanks for posting Scott's video's. I don't think he's been here in a while and I liked his videos.
jrgerber wrote:A few more recent videos, thanks to those who shot these:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YYZ16b-ii-E

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y7EyypuQQvI
PatC created a monster, 'cause nobody wants to see Don Simon no more they want AARR I'm chopped liver, well if you want AARR this is what I'll give ya, bad humor mixed with irrelevant info that'll make you roll your eyes quicker than a ~Z~ banhammer...

Robertrains
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Robertrains »

Now, I haven't seen this railroad since January 2015! It appears the track is better! Are there still places where I can watch a ND&W train over very "Rickety Track?" If so, where?
I would like to get that before entirely gone! They don't go over the track to Liberty Center, OH, anymore, correct?
:?:
Robert Jackson (Extreme Railfan/Bluewater and Michigan Transit Museum member)

http://cooltrains.rrpicturearchives.net/

MQT1223
O Scale Railfanner

Unread post by MQT1223 »

What's the schedule like for these guys these days? Has COVID-19 really affected these guys in any way?
1223 OUT! President and Founder of the Buck Creek Central, the Rolling River Route! (2012-2017) President and Founder of the Lamberton Valley Railroad, The Tin Plate Road! Proudly railfanning with Asperger's since 1996. :)

JoJames
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by JoJames »

MQT1223 wrote:What's the schedule like for these guys these days? Has COVID-19 really affected these guys in any way?
All the business served in Napoleon were deemed essential.

wildcatsa1fan
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by wildcatsa1fan »

They are running daily from Woodburn to Defiance and back. They stop when they are out of hours. Currently cement is shipping big to Columbus. And the regular chemical cars for Systech are on the train most days.

We are sending about 20 railcars of cement a week to Columbus.

Tracks are better and they will continue to get better. The new owner is spending some money(HAHA). Different from past ownership for sure.

They still have the occasional derail but they are coping well.

The guys working the west end are friendly. I talk to them at least twice a week.

jrgerber
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by jrgerber »

Borrowing this thread from Fort Wayne Railfan. The most recent post has great photos from Notch 8:

http://www.fwarailfan.net/community/vie ... 6&start=15

MQT1223
O Scale Railfanner

Unread post by MQT1223 »

jrgerber wrote:Borrowing this thread from Fort Wayne Railfan. The most recent post has great photos from Notch 8:

http://www.fwarailfan.net/community/vie ... 6&start=15
It truly is amazing to see the amount of time and money being invested in such long neglected track.
1223 OUT! President and Founder of the Buck Creek Central, the Rolling River Route! (2012-2017) President and Founder of the Lamberton Valley Railroad, The Tin Plate Road! Proudly railfanning with Asperger's since 1996. :)

jrgerber
Railroadfan...fan

The August 2020 edition of Trains is about Ohio. There is an article about the IORY and a short article about the ND&W. What I found interesting about the ND&W article was the roster listed. Apparently the GP-16s have been moved off the property. The current roster is:

105 GP-9 Gettysburg
2026 GP-20 ex Santa Fe
2045 GP-20
3001 GP-20 ex Santa Fe
3054 GP-20

MQT1223
O Scale Railfanner

Unread post by MQT1223 »

jrgerber wrote:The August 2020 edition of Trains is about Ohio. There is an article about the IORY and a short article about the ND&W. What I found interesting about the ND&W article was the roster listed. Apparently the GP-16s have been moved off the property. The current roster is:

105 GP-9 Gettysburg
2026 GP-20 ex Santa Fe
2045 GP-20
3001 GP-20 ex Santa Fe
3054 GP-20
The 3054 wears its BNSF patch and the 3001 is still in unmolested Santa Fe paint number and all, looks like the cab has been touched up but its still a sight to see. Found the 3054 on the old interchange track that heads to the LaFarge plant near Cecil (?) early last month and the 3001 parked on the main in Woodburn looking every bit like a Santa Fe branchline freight next to the elevator.

Y@
Ass. Janitor

Unread post by Y@ »

MQT1223 wrote:The 3054 wears its BNSF patch
No it doesn't: https://www.flickr.com/photos/50077821@N02/12293202993
Bottom text.

MQT1223
O Scale Railfanner

Unread post by MQT1223 »

Y@ wrote:
MQT1223 wrote:The 3054 wears its BNSF patch
No it doesn't: https://www.flickr.com/photos/50077821@N02/12293202993
Shoot, I mean't the 2026. The BNSF lettering on the cab was patched but it wears its BNSF number patch (which is the same as its last AT&SF number).

OhioSteam&Steel
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by OhioSteam&Steel »

Does anybody know a good time to try and catch these trains? I am driving to Michigan city on Friday afternoon. I could get to Defiance around 6pm. I am guessing that is likely to late to catch this railroad in operation?

wildcatsa1fan
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by wildcatsa1fan »

Sorry for the late reply. Yes that's too late to catch them. They are running till about 6 at the latest right now. Daily from cement plant to woodburn, IN, unless they have problems(wink wink).

penn central
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by penn central »

Today it was announced in the Train's News Wire that the ND&W is receiving 4.1 million dollars of Federal money to replace 10 miles of main track with 132 to 136 pound rail from 80 pound rail and replace 29 thousand ties between Woodburn Indiana and Defiance Ohio wow.

AARR
Ann Arbor RR Nerd

Unread post by AARR »

Read it on LinkedIn too
penn central wrote:
Mon Sep 21, 2020 12:45 pm
Today it was announced in the Train's News Wire that the ND&W is receiving 4.1 million dollars of Federal money to replace 10 miles of main track with 132 to 136 pound rail from 80 pound rail and replace 29 thousand ties between Woodburn Indiana and Defiance Ohio wow.
PatC created a monster, 'cause nobody wants to see Don Simon no more they want AARR I'm chopped liver, well if you want AARR this is what I'll give ya, bad humor mixed with irrelevant info that'll make you roll your eyes quicker than a ~Z~ banhammer...

ohiopower
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by ohiopower »

Wow, could this really happen?

"Moreover, the exec team crafted a plan to upgrade all of Pioneer’s track to a Class I standard. Work is progressing and might take three to five years to complete at all the short lines, says Yeros."

1TrackMind
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by 1TrackMind »

ohiopower wrote:
Tue Sep 22, 2020 12:05 pm
Wow, could this really happen?

"Moreover, the exec team crafted a plan to upgrade all of Pioneer’s track to a Class I standard. Work is progressing and might take three to five years to complete at all the short lines, says Yeros."
Could be class I track is good for 10 MPH and hazmat haulage.

jrgerber
Railroadfan...fan

jrgerber
Railroadfan...fan

So when does the rail and tie work begin?