IORY South End Part 4

Anything pertaining to railfanning in Ohio.
midland sub
Railroadfan...fan

Re: IORY South End Part 4

Unread post by midland sub »

RSS 15 stay on the I&O will be short. There was a routing issue that ended up with it going to the Logan Sub. Should have possibly gone to Cincy for new paint, but even then its not the I&O.

Melvin Stone is having issues with the construction of the unloading pit in Logan. Stone traffic is on hold atthis point.

G&W approved plans to construct a new northeast wye track in WashCH. It will connect the Midland and Wellston lines for grain and fertilizer trains to have a direct routing to the DT&I and Konrad north of town. This will end the need to run around or uses two crews to get unit trains up the DT&I.

Valero is going to start selling ddg to Bluegrass Farms. Bluegrass will unload the ddg and then dry and load it directly into 20 ft containers. Projected to be another 50 plus containers a week for shipment.

midland sub
Railroadfan...fan

Wash CH Turn brought had 5012-4083-4084-4085 and 51 cars. Doesn't sound large but there were six five pack and one single well cars just for Bluegrass Farms.

DT&I South is getting a track project from Jeffersonville to South Chuck. Equipment staged at. Jeffersonville.

Midland main supposed to get a major track project starting this summer. Project to raise track speed to 40 MPH.

Rob81
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Rob81 »

Just a quick update about the I&0 Mason Sub and Lebanon branch. There are several stacks of railroad ties sitting at the US-42 and Columbia Rd crossing on the Lebanon branch. The entire line from Traders World to the end of the line at Western Row Rd and the north end at Lebanon is about to undergo some major updates and maintenance.
Also as a side note for those ever wanting to photograph the line. The local leaves McCullough yard around 730 or so, heads up through Sharon yard and then on up the NS Dayton District, heads into Reed Yard usually picks up and drops of a car or two and then heads on to Mason. Depending on how much switching they have to do, they will either tie down in MAson or at Trader's World around 5pm and Thursday morning a new crew will take it back down to McCullough. The last few weeks it's been PIR 2342 but wasn't able to catch today's move so not sure what the power was. While on the NS Dayton District the radio id is IORY-04.
Rob
Lebanon, Ohio

looshi
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by looshi »

Rob81 wrote:Just a quick update about the I&0 Mason Sub and Lebanon branch. There are several stacks of railroad ties sitting at the US-42 and Columbia Rd crossing on the Lebanon branch. The entire line from Traders World to the end of the line at Western Row Rd and the north end at Lebanon is about to undergo some major updates and maintenance.
Also as a side note for those ever wanting to photograph the line. The local leaves McCullough yard around 730 or so, heads up through Sharon yard and then on up the NS Dayton District, heads into Reed Yard usually picks up and drops of a car or two and then heads on to Mason. Depending on how much switching they have to do, they will either tie down in MAson or at Trader's World around 5pm and Thursday morning a new crew will take it back down to McCullough. The last few weeks it's been PIR 2342 but wasn't able to catch today's move so not sure what the power was. While on the NS Dayton District the radio id is IORY-04.
Just to elaborate a bit on this, the G&W is doing a tie project for the entire Mason Sub, from Garver Road to the end-of-track. This is probably the first major track project the line has seen since the I&O first acquired it in the late 80's, so it is a welcomed upgrade.

The ties in Lebanon are for the yard and a couple of soft spots south of Columbia road. Since the line was almost shut down a couple of years ago, the city has been trying to catch up on the deferred maintence. A little bit has been done every year and by this point the line is actually in pretty good shape. Pretty much all it would need to get back up to 15 mph would be about 10 carloads of ballast.

Y@
Ass. Janitor

Unread post by Y@ »

Somehow managed to stumble upon the LSL this evening on their way north... See the links for full descriptions.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/Y@_heil ... otostream/

http://www.flickr.com/photos/Y@_heil ... otostream/
Bottom text.

bnsf8000
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by bnsf8000 »

Midland, CF&E set out 5 Cargill grain hoppers at the Scott Equity elevator in Van Wert. Maybe they're for Valero. Hopefully, there will be more coming to VW if it's from them.

PW

alittlevanwerty
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by alittlevanwerty »

bnsf8000 wrote:Midland, CF&E set out 5 Cargill grain hoppers at the Scott Equity elevator in Van Wert. Maybe they're for Valero. Hopefully, there will be more coming to VW if it's from them.

PW
Yesterdays LSL brought 8 Cargill hoppers north, hope those head to Van Wert also!

midland sub
Railroadfan...fan

Indeed they are for Valero.

conrailman75
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by conrailman75 »

Today the Urbana Sub local had the G&W painted IORY 5012 for power. I didn't see it but a friend of mine who lives in Springfield was able to go out and chase it and got some photos of it in action.
Chris Howe
Fairborn, OH

midland sub
Railroadfan...fan

Both Heritage Co-op in Mechanicsburg and Trupointe in South Chuck got 90 car empty trains on Monday. Mechanicsburg train kept their train and CSX took back the South Chuck power.

Say what you will about the I&O, when they derail the make it a spectacular. McCullough yard crew was putting Monday night's Wash CH Turn pick up together when they derailed in Oakley. Derailment ended up taking out a high tension power line where the Blue Ash Sub connects to the Midland main. Basically old GK Tower where the B&O-PRR crossed at the old GM Norwood Assembly plant.

http://www.wlwt.com/news/local-news/ind ... index.html

alittlevanwerty
Railroadfan...fan

Heads up on IORY, 4070/5678 leading grain train to MP144,Unioplois U believe. Crossing the CF&E diamond here in a few.

heartlandguy
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by heartlandguy »

The siding at Quincy is filled up with storage cars. North half has old Cargill and other misc hoppers, then a gap in the middle, then gondolas (MQRX?) filling up the southern half. Not sure if this is new or not, but what the hey...

CSX unit train sitting in the elevator tracks at Uniopolis. Appeared to have all the tracks filled, and even had the stub on the other side of Rt. 67 filled up.
"Alright, uh, get to a stop here and we'll order you a party bus for Lima" -12/30/16

"He ain't one of them terrorists, is he?" "Nah, just some paparazzi. We never get them out here!" -03/12/19

alittlevanwerty
Railroadfan...fan

Here is the grain train that I filmed Monday evening. The LSL crew ran it down with the Lima switcher engineer in 3887 bringing up the rear.
IORY 4070 CEFX 5678 lead CSX unit grain train over Pennsy diamond by alittlevanwerty, on Flickr

My wife took this one a few weeks ago but I hadn't uploaded it til yesterday.
CF&E 3887 GP38-2 on IORY Switcher by alittlevanwerty, on Flickr

midland sub
Railroadfan...fan

The former Cargill salt cars are in storage for Appalachian Railcar. The MQRX are or should be for Melvin Stone. Melvin has more than enough cars for the current Midland traffic, but have a couple of projects in the works and might need more cars so the MQRX hoppers are in storage.

All Midland and Logan jobs are going to six days a week.

alittlevanwerty
Railroadfan...fan

LSL just pulling into Lima, 9500 4084 3888 9400 running elephant style. Train is massive stretches from Sugar st crossing to the end of the siding south of Bluelick rd. hopefully when I get the video posted AARR will count the cars for me.

AARR
Ann Arbor RR Nerd

Unread post by AARR »

alittlevanwerty wrote:Hopefully when I get the video posted AARR will count the cars for me.
Looking forward to it, vanwerty!
PatC created a monster, 'cause nobody wants to see Don Simon no more they want AARR I'm chopped liver, well if you want AARR this is what I'll give ya, bad humor mixed with irrelevant info that'll make you roll your eyes quicker than a ~Z~ banhammer...

alittlevanwerty
Railroadfan...fan

Looking like they will run a LNL in the next hour, 9400 staying in Lima for refueling.

alittlevanwerty
Railroadfan...fan

I wish I had the shot of them knocking down the signal but the card is gone forever :(

AARR
Ann Arbor RR Nerd

Unread post by AARR »

AARR wrote:
alittlevanwerty wrote:Hopefully when I get the video posted AARR will count the cars for me.
Looking forward to it, vanwerty!
105ish
PatC created a monster, 'cause nobody wants to see Don Simon no more they want AARR I'm chopped liver, well if you want AARR this is what I'll give ya, bad humor mixed with irrelevant info that'll make you roll your eyes quicker than a ~Z~ banhammer...