IORY South End Part 4

Anything pertaining to railfanning in Ohio.
jallenp7
Railroadfan...fan

Re: IORY South End Part 4

Unread post by jallenp7 »

More fun facts:

I think the Diamond at urbana on the NYCconnection track and Erie was signaled at one time, but after I&O took over we really did not have any type of control at the Diamond since there was only one train at urbana at a time.

The fert Dealer was actually a little south of West Liberty, I think the Road is Upper Valley, but it is almost directly west of the high school, It was Champaign Landmark when I was working for the I&O. Vigaro was the Fert Dealer on the Urbana Sub, they received Dry, liquid, Sulfuric Acid, and Anhydrous.

We would usually shove the car on the north side of the engine since the switch is south facing at the one near West Liberty.

Also, a North East connection was suppose to built at Maitland to avoid the backup move, Railtex claimed it is to tight of a curve so it was never built.

Maitland was still a working interlocking to just before the I&O took over the DT&I. It is owned by the Port Authority but was maintained by GT and controled by CR who collected a fee to operate it from Indy.

The connection at Loganda was actually built after I&O took over to avoid have to go through CP182. At first, grain trains were interchanged with CR at Glen Echo, but the grain elevators switch over the CSX in Fayne.

midland sub
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by midland sub »

I figured Conrail took out whatever signals were there for the diamond shortly after the Erie was offically abandoned.

Oh the old shove it and unti you get to the switch five miles away move..... They had to do the same thing on the Greenfield Sub for the East Monroe grain elevator.

I remember reading somewhere about the planned wye at Maitland. Railtex found out very, very quickly how bad the CN deal was with buying the DT&I. Luckly those interchange and carload fees finally disappeared several years ago....

I remember seeing the approach signal on the Erie alongside RT 68 plus seeing the signals @ Maitland on. Wow hard to believe thats been 20 years....

Thats a tight looking connection at Lagonda. I don't know how a 90 car grain train doesn't almost reach CP182. Oh yes the Fayne grain trains. It seems like forever that the old I&O would come down into Wash CH and leave them at Potter on the Midland.

I always thought it was interesting that the Cincy Rail guys had the nerve to come down into Wash CH to the diamond on the excursions and not tell CSX they were doing it......

Rob81
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Rob81 »

Thanks for the mention Midland. Finding this board has been neat and allowed me to fill in some history that I was unaware of when it came to the I&O and railroad operations in and around Cincinnati. Since moving here in 2008 I have spent a considerable amount of time at the library looking through books and pictures of Lebanon / Mason / Warren County from the mid 1830's until now. This area is bursting rich with history, Lebanon has so many homes that have been around since the civil war and early 20th Century. But I digress lol. Reason for my post is that this afternoon on the MAson Sub I&O 5014 fresh from the paint booth with G&W colors was working the line. Caught it just as they were finishing up and tieing down the old caboose and getting ready to head out to Trader's World. 1 tank car (which is rare to see, I mean very very rare) 3 hoppers from an industry off of Western Row Rd and 2 boxcars at the end. The LM&M starts back up this weekend and I was hoping that they dropped off CNRY 55 and NKP 901 onto the Lebanon branch at Hageman on their way into Mason today but no such luck. I do not believe that those two spent the winter at the Mason engine house like in years past but went down to McCullough Yard. I could be wrong but I am pretty sure they left for the winter. It's a neat railroad rich in history and I enjoying sharing what I see and experience so that others may enjoy it was well.
Rob
Lebanon, Ohio

AARR
Ann Arbor RR Nerd

Unread post by AARR »

Rob81 wrote:Thanks for the mention Midland. Finding this board has been neat and allowed me to fill in some history that I was unaware of when it came to the I&O and railroad operations in and around Cincinnati. Since moving here in 2008 I have spent a considerable amount of time at the library looking through books and pictures of Lebanon / Mason / Warren County from the mid 1830's until now.
I enjoy your posts. Keep em' coming :)
PatC created a monster, 'cause nobody wants to see Don Simon no more they want AARR I'm chopped liver, well if you want AARR this is what I'll give ya, bad humor mixed with irrelevant info that'll make you roll your eyes quicker than a ~Z~ banhammer...

Rob81
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Rob81 »

Thanks AARR and you can count on it. Going to devote some time on photographing the LM&M this summer as it makes a few trips south of Hageman down to Mason as well as catching the Mason Local on Weds when it's here.
Rob
Lebanon, Ohio

midland sub
Railroadfan...fan

I heard 5013 was in Wash CH today. Explains where 5014 went. It has a horn problem that is supposed to be getting fixed.

Rob81
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Rob81 »

Yeah the horn on 5014 sounds terrible.
Rob
Lebanon, Ohio

midland sub
Railroadfan...fan

What's the current customers on the Mason Sub?

midland sub
Railroadfan...fan

According to the Western Ohio yahoo group NKP 901 will be the power for the April 5th trip.

conrailman75
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by conrailman75 »

Spotted the local on the Urbana sub this afternoon on my way home from work stopped at Maitland diamond in Springfield. Train had 5 boxcars(4 of them were CSXT) and 3 covered hoppers with the power being the SP painted tunnel motor running long hood forward. I think it was 9400, but could not see the number of it as I drove past southbound on US 68.
Chris Howe
Fairborn, OH

lbable
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by lbable »

NKP 901 will be on Lebanon for the first part of the year. CNRY 55 is down with many mechanical issues.
There are NO cab rides allowed under GW (Altho, exceptions for RR personal are acceptable. Thats system wide, not just Cinci). IO Fan keeps up better than i do, but after 55 ran the dinner train and private cars to Union terminal, i heard it had its issues were found then. Will keep posted with what i know is fact.

Rob81
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Rob81 »

NKP 901 and DT&I caboos 116 are back in Lebanon as of this afternoon. Also a side note, driving past Trader's World this afternoon, I noticed that a single boxcar was still sitting on the siding.
Rob
Lebanon, Ohio

midland sub
Railroadfan...fan

Thanks for the update on #55. I think 24 years is long enough to say I got a few miles behind the throttle of it on the Greenfield Sub. Its probably due for some work after all these years.

The LM&M used to offer on their website cab rides. Thus has been a few years ago and presumably only included the trackage the city of Lebanon owns. They worded it funny so UT didn't say cab ride.

Good thing for the 901 and the former Great Miami GP30 they just bought.

midland sub
Railroadfan...fan

Double dip of G&W orange at the yard at Konrad Friday morning. 5014 came back on the Wash CH Turn along with 4071-4085-4083. 5013 was also sitting in the STD track next to the office. Decent size train for the turn. Looked like almost all DT&I traffic. They have 17 loaded well cars to set off at Bluegrass Farms. I presume 5014 will lead the WCH-B to Springfield.

midland sub
Railroadfan...fan

5014 ended up swapped out with the 5013. WCH-B took it and 4085-4071-4083 to Springfield to meet the LSL. WCH-A kept the 5014 and was working Lowes this afternoon. B Job took the 17 well cars for BGF to Springfield with them to spot on the way back. BGF had a similar number they were loading today plus finally the 3 NOKL grain cars that have been there for about a month now.

Blan Job made their usual Fridat trip to Konrad. Picked up 16 cars and three old Dakota Rail mow flats with a piece of rail for somewhere. 7 loaded centerbeams of lumber for Universal Forest Products in Blanchester. 4 pellet cars for Timber Tech in Wilmington, 1 for Hymutaki on the Greenfield Sub, 3 tank cars of wax for Candle-Lite and two tank cars for Johnson Controls in Greenfield.

bnsf8000
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by bnsf8000 »

Man, BFG is loading a decent amount of well cars now. Glad to see that. Thanks for the updates guys. Midland , nice to see you've got some help now with some of the subs. 8)

PW

midland sub
Railroadfan...fan

If I was smart enough to post pics I would of 5014 and the WCH-B.

midland sub
Railroadfan...fan

Valero finally fired up Bloomingburg to full production so you sould start seeing them buying corn from Scotts Equity again.

Empty ethanol train for Valero should be coming down from Columbus in the next day or so.

alittlevanwerty
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by alittlevanwerty »

midland sub wrote:Valero finally fired up Bloomingburg to full production so you sould start seeing them buying corn from Scotts Equity again.

Empty ethanol train for Valero should be coming down from Columbus in the next day or so.
Hope so, the LIVW needs the traffic!

midland sub
Railroadfan...fan

5013 is supposed to be heading to the Logan Sub. It will go on a loaded grain train from Mechanicsburg.