AARR Lease of Two Segments of NS Track in Toledo

Anything pertaining to railfanning in Ohio.
GlassCityPhotos
Railroadfan...fan

Re: AARR Lease of Two Segments of NS Track in Toledo

Unread post by GlassCityPhotos »

jimnorthwood wrote:Thanks for posting the AARR tariff, GCP. Very interesting. As for shipping finished suv's out of Toledo, I don't know that the economies of scale would warrant this. The railroads have a pretty good grasp of the market of automobiles to both coasts, where cars are either loaded or, usually, unloaded, on huge ships that are far too large to transit the Seaway and Welland canal locks. I do recall when cars were brought to the Port of Toledo...was it the Renault Le Car that was brought there? And I think Volkwagen Beetles (the old school, air-cooled version) were imported through the Port of Monroe many years ago.
At one time the original Beetles were unloaded at the Port of Toledo as well according to the Blade. As for the AARR tariff, it also appears to confirm that Smuckers and Laskey Road TT are really the only customers using the Temperance Yard. I went back to prior versions of the tariff (up to ten years ago) and could not find any mention of the GM PowerTrain plant as a customer. Do you know what the Laskey Road TT is? I cannot find anything about it online.

MDH
rp.net addict

Unread post by MDH »

GlassCityPhotos wrote:
jimnorthwood wrote:Thanks for posting the AARR tariff, GCP. Very interesting. As for shipping finished suv's out of Toledo, I don't know that the economies of scale would warrant this. The railroads have a pretty good grasp of the market of automobiles to both coasts, where cars are either loaded or, usually, unloaded, on huge ships that are far too large to transit the Seaway and Welland canal locks. I do recall when cars were brought to the Port of Toledo...was it the Renault Le Car that was brought there? And I think Volkwagen Beetles (the old school, air-cooled version) were imported through the Port of Monroe many years ago.
At one time the original Beetles were unloaded at the Port of Toledo as well according to the Blade. As for the AARR tariff, it also appears to confirm that Smuckers and Laskey Road TT are really the only customers using the Temperance Yard. I went back to prior versions of the tariff (up to ten years ago) and could not find any mention of the GM PowerTrain plant as a customer. Do you know what the Laskey Road TT is? I cannot find anything about it online.
Might stand for "Transload Terminal" - I think they unload "Fluff" (automotive scrap - also known as "ASR" - Automobile Shredder Residue) to send up to a Michigan landfill (unless I'm thinking of something else up that way)
Michael Harding
P&WV fan in HO

AARR
Ann Arbor RR Nerd

Unread post by AARR »

According to the AARRT&HA publication "Fluff" is loaded in Temperance Yard. Maybe the article was wrong. I've seen the "Fluff" cars on a eastbound W&LE train leaving Homestead.

According to several AARRT&HA publications the alphalpha mill and Toledo Blade were the only active rail customers on that segment of track. Again, it's possible the articles were wrong.

However, Buster and I walked that segment a few years ago and at that time it was our observation the alphalpha mill and Toledo Blade were the onely active customers. But maybe things have changed.
PatC created a monster, 'cause nobody wants to see Don Simon no more they want AARR I'm chopped liver, well if you want AARR this is what I'll give ya, bad humor mixed with irrelevant info that'll make you roll your eyes quicker than a ~Z~ banhammer...

GlassCityPhotos
Railroadfan...fan

AARR wrote: According to several AARRT&HA publications the alphalpha mill and Toledo Blade were the only active rail customers on that segment of track. Again, it's possible the articles were wrong.

However, Buster and I walked that segment a few years ago and at that time it was our observation the alphalpha mill and Toledo Blade were the onely active customers. But maybe things have changed.
Do you remember how old those publications were? The new tariff that I posted the link to is dated 8/2013 and lists the Herman Mueller grain mill as a new customer. As far as The Blade goes, Toledo Harbor Warehouse most likely unloaded the paper for The Blade as the THW website describes how they are experts at "transloading products on and off rail boxcars" and that their facilities were designed to safely store "jumbo rolls of paper". But their website also claims that they also have experience with many other commodities, so while their business will undoubtedly be hurt by The Blade's decision, they might still use the rail line to a lesser extent.

AARR
Ann Arbor RR Nerd

Unread post by AARR »

GlassCityPhotos wrote:
AARR wrote: According to several AARRT&HA publications the alphalpha mill and Toledo Blade were the only active rail customers on that segment of track. Again, it's possible the articles were wrong.

Do you remember how old those publications were? The new tariff that I posted the link to is dated 8/2013 and lists the Herman Mueller grain mill as a new customer.
I don't have an exact date. I'll try to look it up later. It seems your date is at least a bit more recent than the article(s). But like I said the articles may not be accurate. Buster and I walked the line several years ago so your tariff date is more recent too.
PatC created a monster, 'cause nobody wants to see Don Simon no more they want AARR I'm chopped liver, well if you want AARR this is what I'll give ya, bad humor mixed with irrelevant info that'll make you roll your eyes quicker than a ~Z~ banhammer...

jimnorthwood
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by jimnorthwood »

Re Laskey Road TT, maybe Team Track? There is a track that branches off the line that runs into Temperance Yard. This track is directly in front of Smucker's, and holds about three cars. I've seen tank cars there plenty of times, going back to the years when General Mills (Cheerios and I believe, Lucky Charms, too) owned that factory. I've also seen other oddball types of cargo, transformers and such on flatcars, on that track, too. One thing I've never figured out is what the tank cars are delivering, or picking up, on that team track. I am assuming grease or something related, but I don't know.

jimnorthwood
Railroadfan...fan

Up until a few years ago there were two additional Tmperance Yard customers. GM Powertrain was one, and 84 Lumber the other. Both were located on Alexis Road. Powertrain received transmission fluid in tank cars, and shipped finished transmissions in hi-cubes. 84 Lumber received occasional cars of lumber. 84 is long gone, and their building has been for sale with no takers. Powertrain is still there, but they no longer use rail service.

esprrfan
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by esprrfan »

Or the TT might simply refer to "Toledo Terminal"

jimnorthwood
Railroadfan...fan

Could be TT=Toledo Terminal, although the track that runs from the Toledo Terminal into Temperance Yard is owned by AA, and not by CSX (TT). I assume this means AA also owns the team track that branches off that track, too. I've never seen a CSX locomotive (or NS when they had rights on the TT) cross Laskey Road.

esprrfan
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by esprrfan »

LOL names often out live the rr just like we cross the Chessie at vickers with the daily puller to the C&O

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Toledo_Terminal_Railroad http://www.abandonedrails.com/Temperance_to_Rossford

GlassCityPhotos
Railroadfan...fan

jimnorthwood wrote:Re Laskey Road TT, maybe Team Track? There is a track that branches off the line that runs into Temperance Yard. This track is directly in front of Smucker's, and holds about three cars. I've seen tank cars there plenty of times, going back to the years when General Mills (Cheerios and I believe, Lucky Charms, too) owned that factory. I've also seen other oddball types of cargo, transformers and such on flatcars, on that track, too. One thing I've never figured out is what the tank cars are delivering, or picking up, on that team track. I am assuming grease or something related, but I don't know.
Jim you are correct, the freight tariff lists "Laskey Road Team Track" as a customer. Thanks for all of your insights into how this yard has been used recently. Google Maps shows the spur into the GM Powertrain as having been pulled up, but the spur into the former lumber yard is still there for the time being. An older version of the tariff from 2005 listed M & M Restaurant Supply as a customer, but the 2013 version does not, so those tankers could have been grease.

Considering that a fence crosses the tracks entering Temperance Yard, it does not look like it gets frequent use these days - not surprising considering the handful of customers. Would you consider this yard to be the most endangered of being abandoned in Toledo?

AARR
Ann Arbor RR Nerd

Unread post by AARR »

jimnorthwood wrote:One thing I've never figured out is what the tank cars are delivering, or picking up, on that team track. I am assuming grease or something related, but I don't know.
Someone said its for Smuckers. Liquid Sweeteners perhaps?

GlassCityPhotos
Railroadfan...fan

AARR wrote:
jimnorthwood wrote:One thing I've never figured out is what the tank cars are delivering, or picking up, on that team track. I am assuming grease or something related, but I don't know.
Someone said its for Smuckers. Liquid Sweeteners perhaps?
That is as good of a guess as any since the Smuckers plant in Toledo makes Pillsbury cake mixes and frosting. The fact that the tank cars sit on the team track outside of the yard and away from the Smuckers spur made me wonder if they might be for someone else, but your explanation is very likely. Considering that the Temperance Yard is fenced in, the yard could be inaccessible when the tank cars are delivered so they are parked on that track until another engine can pull them into the yard when it is open.

Buster Manning
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Buster Manning »

That short spur is used as a team track. The last customer who got tank cars on there was some rendering plant (don't know who, they weren't getting cars when I worked there)

AARR
Ann Arbor RR Nerd

Unread post by AARR »

At this years AARRT&HA annual meeting the guest speaker, Ron Chadwick GM of AA, said the following customers were added with the 10 year lease of NS Cherry St. and River Front lines (sorry, I don't recall the names...maybe someone can fill in the question marks):
- ??? warehouse: receives newsprint, paper products and a metal (zinc alloyed?).
- Elevator: Inbound fertilizer and outbound feed/grain
- Tank Farm: Inbound jet fuel and outbound gasoline
- (Cherry Street) Libbey Glass: Inbound silica, soda ash and something else
- These lines are typically switched M, W & Sat.

bn13814
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by bn13814 »

AARR wrote:At this years AARRT&HA annual meeting the guest speaker, Ron Chadwick GM of AA, said the following customers were added with the 10 year lease of NS Cherry St. and River Front lines (sorry, I don't recall the names...maybe someone can fill in the question marks):

- ??? warehouse: receives newsprint, paper products and a metal (zinc alloyed?).
- Elevator: Inbound fertilizer and outbound feed/grain
- Tank Farm: Inbound jet fuel and outbound gasoline
- (Cherry Street) Libbey Glass: Inbound silica, soda ash and something else
- These lines are typically switched M, W & Sat.
I paid visit to Toledo over the Labor Day Weekend and was able to explore a bit of the AA. On Monday, I found the riverfront line and noticed Toledo Harbor Warehouse and a building related to THW with "OMI Transportation" markings. Both had rail access. I assume the elevator belongs to Hansen-Mueller, whose website calls it the "Toledo Processing Mill." Interestingly, another outfit in the same area, Arms Dock, notes rail access on its website. The tank farm would be Arc Terminals.
Last edited by bn13814 on Mon Sep 14, 2015 11:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.

bn13814
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by bn13814 »

Buster Manning wrote:That short spur is used as a team track. The last customer who got tank cars on there was some rendering plant (don't know who, they weren't getting cars when I worked there)
On my visit to Toledo last weekend, I noticed two tank cars spotted on the team track by Smucker's. They were of the type used for tallow/lard oil/grease shipments. I believe both had DTLX markings. Perhaps a contractor is handling waste products from Smucker's and loading them into tank cars here?

AARR
Ann Arbor RR Nerd

Unread post by AARR »

According to Mr. Chadwick's interview Smuckers is switched five nights per week, same as when General Mills operated the plant.
bn13814 wrote:
Buster Manning wrote:That short spur is used as a team track. The last customer who got tank cars on there was some rendering plant (don't know who, they weren't getting cars when I worked there)
On my visit to Toledo last weekend, I noticed two tank cars spotted on the team track by Smucker's. They were of the type used for tallow/lard oil/grease shipments. I believe both had DTLX markings. Perhaps a contractor is handling waste products from Smucker's and loading them into tank cars here?