End of an Era Soon for Eastlake Coal Power Plant

Anything pertaining to railfanning in Ohio.
bluestreak81
Railroadfan...fan

End of an Era Soon for Eastlake Coal Power Plant

Unread post by bluestreak81 »

As I was traveling westbound on Route 2 in Eastlake, Ohio I drove under the CEI overpass that consisted of 4 CSX locomotives pulling empty coal hoppers away from the Eastlake coal power plant. I drive this route regularly and have never seen more than 2 units pull in or pull out the coal hoppers. This time there were 4 units. This plant is expected to go off-line on April 15, 2015 due to the new EPA regulations. This could be the last or one of the very last trains to run on this spur. Plans are for this power plant to be converted into a regulator facility using condensers which will help pull in power from plants that are farther away.

One photo shows three of the four CSX lead units pulling the empty coal hoppers away on the CEI spur.
One photo shows full coal hoppers heading into the CEI power plant back in December.

http://www.news-herald.com/general-news ... ting-units
http://www.midwestenergynews.com/2015/0 ... pact-ohio/
Attachments
CSX overpass on Route 2 westbound in Willoughby, Ohio on March 22, 2015.  Four CSX units pulling empty coal hoppers away from Eastlake coal power plant.
CSX overpass on Route 2 westbound in Willoughby, Ohio on March 22, 2015. Four CSX units pulling empty coal hoppers away from Eastlake coal power plant.
Coal hoppers being pulled into the Eastlake coal power plant in December 5, 2014.  This spur overpass is on Lakeshore Blvd in Eastlake, Ohio.  Notice the timber supports for the overpass.
Coal hoppers being pulled into the Eastlake coal power plant in December 5, 2014. This spur overpass is on Lakeshore Blvd in Eastlake, Ohio. Notice the timber supports for the overpass.

redside20
i don't give a fark about your PM

Re: End of an Era Soon for Eastlake Coal Power Plant

Unread post by redside20 »

The loss of revenue traffic hurts but what hurts even more is that the employees who work at some these closing power plants are losing good paying jobs...an unintended consequence of these EPA regulations...the sign o the times.
Exit stage left