Maumee & Western RR purchased by Michigan Southern RR

Anything pertaining to railfanning in Ohio.
MSchwiebert
Railroadfan...fan

Maumee & Western RR purchased by Michigan Southern RR

Unread post by MSchwiebert »

MDH
rp.net addict

Re: Maumee & Western RR purchased by Michigan Southern RR

Unread post by MDH »

Very interesting... thanks for posting here. Now let the wild speculation begin! :twisted:

http://pioneer-railcorp.com/mso.html
Michael Harding
P&WV fan in HO

StupidFlee​t
Chinese Foooood

Unread post by StupidFlee​t »

YAY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Flickr

(23:10:05) MagnumForce: All precautions were taken

railohio
Photographer of Wires in America by Rail of Ohio & Wisconsin

Unread post by railohio »

StupidFlee​t wrote:YAY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
That's only good news for you if they start running at night. :mrgreen:
"I shot the freight train / But I did not shoot the fantrip"

StupidFlee​t
Chinese Foooood

Unread post by StupidFlee​t »

railohio wrote:That's only good news for you if they start running at night. :mrgreen:

That's not relevant. THE MAW HAS BEEN SAVED! (well kinda, but you see what I'm saying)
Flickr

(23:10:05) MagnumForce: All precautions were taken

railohio
Photographer of Wires in America by Rail of Ohio & Wisconsin

Unread post by railohio »

StupidFlee​t wrote:That's not relevant.
That's mattered here since when?
"I shot the freight train / But I did not shoot the fantrip"

TrainWatcher
The Beast

Unread post by TrainWatcher »

Pioneer... well needless to say this oughta be interesting.

BnOEngr
Captain Obvious

Unread post by BnOEngr »

Huh. Spencer must have been courting suitors. I guess US Rail didn't offer a good enough deal.
Not that obvious

NSSD60M
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by NSSD60M »

StupidFlee​t wrote:
railohio wrote:That's only good news for you if they start running at night. :mrgreen:

That's not relevant. THE MAW HAS BEEN SAVED! (well kinda, but you see what I'm saying)
I would use the term "Saved" loosely, based on the condition of existing Pioneer properties. Seen the Michigan Southern lately? Pioneer is about the last resort before Rails-to-Trails takes over.

Saturnalia
Authority on Cat

Unread post by Saturnalia »

NSSD60M wrote:
StupidFlee​t wrote:

I would use the term "Saved" loosely, based on the condition of existing Pioneer properties. Seen the Michigan Southern lately? Pioneer is about the last resort before Rails-to-Trails takes over.
Watch them drive the customers away, and pull the tracks to be sold/used elsewhere.

However, Pioneer has an AMAZINGLY large customer base on the line to work with.
Thornapple River Rail Series - YouTube
Safety today is your investment for tomorrow

AARR
Ann Arbor RR Nerd

Unread post by AARR »

NSSD60M wrote:I would use the term "Saved" loosely, based on the condition of existing Pioneer properties. Seen the Michigan Southern lately? Pioneer is about the last resort before Rails-to-Trails takes over.
MSO is hanging in there, though. Runs 2-3x per week. No derailments that I know of. Paper plant is their biggest customer but they have a few others.
PatC created a monster, 'cause nobody wants to see Don Simon no more they want AARR I'm chopped liver, well if you want AARR this is what I'll give ya, bad humor mixed with irrelevant info that'll make you roll your eyes quicker than a ~Z~ banhammer...

railroadchoad
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by railroadchoad »

Not to brag but Conrailman75 and I had this one called out a little while ago on the fourth incarnation of the Great Maumee and Western thread. It really does suck being right all of the time! :twisted:
Lookin' and smellin' darn GOOD!

AARR
Ann Arbor RR Nerd

Unread post by AARR »

railroadchoad wrote:It really does suck being right all of the time! :twisted:
There was the one time you thought you were wrong but you were really right :lol:
PatC created a monster, 'cause nobody wants to see Don Simon no more they want AARR I'm chopped liver, well if you want AARR this is what I'll give ya, bad humor mixed with irrelevant info that'll make you roll your eyes quicker than a ~Z~ banhammer...

BOHICA
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by BOHICA »

I thought Midwest Rail was going to start running it.

NoviRailfan
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by NoviRailfan »

I didn't know that the STB had jurisdiction over rollercoasters.

Saturnalia
Authority on Cat

Unread post by Saturnalia »

NoviRailfan wrote:I didn't know that the STB had jurisdiction over rollercoasters.
:lol:

I think it's closer to cornfields :wink:
Thornapple River Rail Series - YouTube
Safety today is your investment for tomorrow

conrailman75
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by conrailman75 »

As I feared, Pioneer purchased the MAW :( Given their track record with the Michigan Southern, I'm not holding my breath on seeing any improvements anytime soon.
Chris Howe
Fairborn, OH

MSchwiebert
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by MSchwiebert »

Not aware of the current situation in Michigan (has the customer base shrunk for example?), but as far as I'm concerned - they can do no worse than the current situation. I'd also think that Pioneer would have better access to capital streams - both private & public than MAW had.
conrailman75 wrote:As I feared, Pioneer purchased the MAW :( Given their track record with the Michigan Southern, I'm not holding my breath on seeing any improvements anytime soon.

AARR
Ann Arbor RR Nerd

Unread post by AARR »

MSchwiebert wrote:Not aware of the current situation in Michigan (has the customer base shrunk for example?), but as far as I'm concerned - they can do no worse than the current situation. I'd also think that Pioneer would have better access to capital streams - both private & public than MAW had.
conrailman75 wrote:As I feared, Pioneer purchased the MAW :( Given their track record with the Michigan Southern, I'm not holding my breath on seeing any improvements anytime soon.
The economy has cost MSO a customer or two. It is speculated by some railfans, with or without merit, that another customer or two reduced or eliminated rail service due to conflict with Pioneer. However, those ex-customers eventually closed shop so in the end its a moot point. I can't comment specifically on MSO's situation because I don't know, but the average railfan will blame the railroad for losing business when sometimes its the customers fault like if they won't pay their bills.

NoviRailfan
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by NoviRailfan »

One has to imagine that customers on the MAW were getting the lowest possible rate. They definitely weren't taking money out for maintenance or equipment.