The Iroquois and Albany Railroad

Sub forum for Paper Railroads
Derektrainman03
Railroadfan...fan

The Iroquois and Albany Railroad

Unread post by Derektrainman03 »

The Iroquois and Albany Railroad (Reporting marks I&A) is a industrial railroad that does the ports at Albany, NY. The railroad then interchanges with the Moxie Crop Railroad at Albany Yard. The railroad transports various freight on the ports like Grain, Natural gas, Scrap, and many more. The I&A started in the year 1946, when things were changing on the railroads prior to the end of World War 2. The railroad didn’t have an official locomotive to work on the ports. The railroad was under the watchful eye of the Lawrence and Ontario railroad (L&O) with their own engines working on the ports. By 1957, the L&O sold the ports to the I&A and gave the railroad four GP7s to kick start their industrial work. On November 3rd, 1959 at exactly 4am EST, a category two hurricane damaged the ports in Albany, along with three of the four GP7s that were in the engine shop at the time of the storm. No one was killed in the storm however, the railroad now faced an engine shortage with the three GP7s now scrapped and only one to make ends meet is slowly getting more costly to maintain, the Moxie Corp Railroad got rid of their S4s from their Canadian division area, the railroad now had scrapped the last GP7 and immediately used the S4s as the main back bone for the railroad. By the late 70’s to the early 80’s, the I&A then purchased their first factory built engine which was the M420. The railroad ordered four of them to keep up the demands of the port industries at bay. Slowly but surely, the S4s were sold off to various railroads or scrapped. By 1999, the railroad then sold the M420s to a Scenic railroad in Montana. The railroad then acquired four GP40-2s to replace the aging alcos. As of 2004, the I&A is still using GP40-2s as the power for the I&A.