Detroit & Toledo Shoreline (D&TS) / Port Huron & Detroit (PH&D)

Sub forum for Paper Railroads
AARR
Ann Arbor RR Nerd

Detroit & Toledo Shoreline (D&TS) / Port Huron & Detroit (PH&D)

Unread post by AARR »

In 1984 Detroit Edison was fed up with rail service. It was heavily dependent on rail service for a steady flow of critical coal and the mergers of Conrail, CSX, GTW and NS had not improved service and forced Detroit Edison to stock pile huge amounts of coal.

Detroit Edison had invested in 22 engines (11 SD40's and 11 U30c's) between 1970 and 1975 because they could not get dependable service from the connecting railroads to its plants.

What prompted Detroit Edison to get aggressive was D&TS had been acquired by GTW in 1980 but also assumed control of DT&I in 1984 and was diverting all its traffic to Flat Rock yard ignoring the needs of its customers on the former D&TS Sub. Detroit Edison had three plants from Monroe to River Rouge.

PH&D was supposed to sell to CSX in 1984 but Detroit Edison protested because they were concerned how it would affect their new Belle River plants I and II.
PatC created a monster, 'cause nobody wants to see Don Simon no more they want AARR I'm chopped liver, well if you want AARR this is what I'll give ya, bad humor mixed with irrelevant info that'll make you roll your eyes quicker than a ~Z~ banhammer...

AARR
Ann Arbor RR Nerd

Re: Detroit & Toledo Shoreline (DT&S) / Port Huron & Detroit (PH&D)

Unread post by AARR »

By the end of 1984 Detroit Edison acquired D&TS from mile post 0 (Toledo) to FN Tower (37.3 miles) and PH&D from mile post 0 (Port Huron) to St. Clair (Remer Rd. 13.2 miles). Included in the agreement were trackage rights (Detroit Edison coal only) on GTW from FN to Delray (10.5 miles), on NS from Delray to West Detroit (2.4 miles), on GTW from West Detroit to Tappan (55.6 miles) and on CSX from Tappan to PH&D Jct. (1.8 miles). Detroit Edison would operate all coal trains with its 22 unit fleet while on its lines. Connecting railroads would use their own power to bring coal to Detroit Edison's two railroads.
PatC created a monster, 'cause nobody wants to see Don Simon no more they want AARR I'm chopped liver, well if you want AARR this is what I'll give ya, bad humor mixed with irrelevant info that'll make you roll your eyes quicker than a ~Z~ banhammer...

AARR
Ann Arbor RR Nerd

Re: Detroit & Toledo Shoreline (D&TS) / Port Huron & Detroit (PH&D)

Unread post by AARR »

GTW had moved all its Detroit area trains to Flat Rock leaving D&TS's Toledo Lang Yard's 23 tracks empty except for local service. DE decided that Lang Yard would become its storage yard for the coal trains that go to Monroe (1-3 per day), Trenton (2-3 per week), River Rouge (1-3 per week) and Belle River/St. Clair (1-3 per day). Connecting railroads CR, CSX and NS would deliver to Lang Yard where DE engines (11 SD40's and 11 U30C's) would make the final delivery to their plants. GTW would deliver coal to Flat Rock where they would shuttle the coal to D&TS's Edison Yard where DE would pick them up for either River Rouge or Monroe. On average, there were between 3-5 DE coal trains per day, seven days per week, delivering coal.

In addition to the Detroit Edison plants, Consumers Energy operated a plant in Whiting that received 1-2 coal trains per week directly by D&TS.

Below is the initial engine roster of the Detroit Edison fleet:
Road No. Model Bldr Date Notes
001-002 SD40 EMD 4/1970 Units were equipped for mid-train operation (leader)
003-006 SD40 EMD 4/1970
007-010 U30C GE 2 & 3/1972
011-012 U30C GE 2 & 3/1972
013-017 SD40 EMD 4/1972 Production of the SD40-2 had started but DE had their batch built to SD40 standards on SD40 frames for conformity to the initial group built in 1970. #013 was equipped for mid-train operation (leader).
018-022 U30C GE 5/1975 #018, 019 & 020 were equipped for mid-train operation (leader)

While DE was comfortable running the coal operations trains they did not want to be in the business of a common carrier serving various customers along the line. So they contracted out the local service to several former managers at DT&I who kept the former names of each line, Detroit & Toledo Shoreline (D&TS) and Port Huron & Detroit (PH&D). The new railroads acquired whatever D&TS engines had not been sold off by GTW yet (the PH&D ALCO fleet would be scrapped). This included:
41 GP7 12459 1/51 To GTW 6041
42 GP7 12460 1/51 To GTW 6042
43 GP7 15525 11/51 To GTW 6043
44 GP7 15526 11/51 To GTW 6044
45 GP7 16203 4/52 To GTW 6045
48 GP7 16206 4/52 To GTW 6048
116 SW7 11399 4/50 To GTW 6116
117 SW7 11400 4/50 To GTW 6117
118 SW7 11732 4/50 To GTW 6118
119 SW9 12458 3/51 To GTW 6119
120 SW9 16208 11/52 To GTW 6120
121 SW9 16209 11/52 To GTW 6121
The new GTW numbers would be retained.

AARR
Ann Arbor RR Nerd

Unread post by AARR »

Detroit Edison crews operated the coal trains. D&TS and PH&D crews operated the non DE trains.

The six SW's were assigned to the four DE plants. Two each at Monroe and St. Clair and one each at Trenton and River Rouge.

Three of the GP7's were assigned to D&TS and the other three to PH&D.

D&TS operated one crew each on three shifts, six days per week. Typically the day crew would handle local switching from Toledo's Lang Yard to Trenton's Edison Yard, the afternoon crew would run back to Lang handling local switching while the midnight crew would perform yard work and interchange traffic. There were exceptions to this pattern depending on customer needs. Major customers included Consumers Power in Whiting, Monroe had several customers that required frequent switching, a large limestone pit was in Rockwood, McLouth Steel in Gibraltar and Monsanto was in Trenton. Interchange with GTW was performed in Trenton's Edison Yard.

PH&D operates one crew each on two shifts, six days per week. Typically the day crew starts by gathering their interchange cars from CSX and GTW. They pull those cars to a small marshalling yard about a 1/2 mile down their line where they sort their cars. They work to St. Clair where they tie up. The afternoon crew comes on duty and heads back to Port Huron completing whatever switching is required. Several of the customers require two switches per day which keeps both crews busy. Major customers include a pair of LPG storage terminals, a pair of plastic pellets distributors, Detroit Edison sends out a lot of fly ash, AkzoNobel operates the salt mine in St. Clair and still ships a lot of box cars, Chrysler and Federal Mogul both have parts plants.

AARR
Ann Arbor RR Nerd

Unread post by AARR »

By 1990 GTW had shifted a pair of its manifests back to Toledo. It was their Port Huron-Toledo train 400/401 and Flint-Toledo train 420/421. However, rather than depart and arrive from Toledo Lang Yard, which was now full of coal trains for Detroit Edison, the GTW trains would arrive/depart from CSX's Walbridge Yard.

In the early 1990's Detroit Edison sold their railroad operations to D&TS and PH&D respectively. The primary factor for this taking so long was D&TS and PH&D were both non union. So the employees from various departments had to sign up with their respective unions and that took some time to negotiate deals that enough people would vote for. The engines for coal service would remain in their Detroit Edison numbering, paint scheme and lettering for now. However all crews would be assigned to either the D&TS or PH&D companies. For now, crews would run specific jobs (coal, local and yard) and there would be no job overlapping.

During the period of 1990-1995 the U30C's were removed from the roster. Although they were good pullers they were difficult to operate and maintain due to the underframes not being fully protecting some of the electrical like the SD40's.

To replace the U30C's a group of 11 SD40's were acquired from Burlington Northern:
11 BN 6300-6310 10/71 5801-1 to -11 IIc

AARR
Ann Arbor RR Nerd

Unread post by AARR »

After CN opened the enlarged tunnel in 1995 between Port Huron and Sarnia another manifest was added to Toledo (joining the ones from Port Huron and Flint). A Battle Creek to CSX Walbridge train was added, 410/411. This train, like the other two, did not depart or arrive in Toledo but rather used CSX's Walbridge Yard.

In the early 2000's engine assignments were changed when a group of six GP38AC's were acquired from CN. Numbers 6215-6220 (ex DT&I 215-220) were assigned to local/yard service (three per railroad). They were upgraded to -2 standards. The GP7's were re-assigned to Detroit Edison plant service and the SW's were retired and sold. The 22 SD40's continued to pull coal trains with three engines typically assigned to each train.

The years 2008 and 2009 saw major changes in railroading as companies went from short and frequent trains to large and less frequent trains. Detroit Edison (now called DTE) coal trains once in the 100 car range was now approaching 120 cars and expected to climb to 130+ range. Newer 286,000 pound cars could carry as much as 112 tons of coal per car. The SD40's were rated to pull 8,600 tons northbound on both the Shoreline and Mt. Clemens Subs. So a typical 121 car coal train would weigh in at 17,303 tons. In good conditions a pair of the SD40's could handle this but in cold/slippery or wet conditions a third unit was needed. Monroe was averaging 9 coal trains per week. Trenton was averaging 1-2 per week. River Rouge 1-2 and St. Clair 10 per week. Across the board an average of three coal trains were being operated seven days per week. Consumers Power (now called Consumers Energy) in Whiting was averaging 1 a week.

Many customers were no longer using rail or had cut back significantly.

On the D&TS district the remaining significant customers that required frequent switching were a car repair shop in Lang Yard, Mac Steel in Monroe, McCauley-Thompson in Monroe and U.S. Silica in Rockwood. All others had either stopped rail service or were down to once a week or less.

AARR
Ann Arbor RR Nerd

Unread post by AARR »

Significant remaining customers on the PH&D Sub included the LPG terminals in Marysville and St. Clair and a pair of plastic distributers in Marysville and St. Clair. All other customers either stopped service or were switched once a week or less.

CN had cut back on its trains to Toledo from three to one in each direction, a Toronto to CSX Walbridge manifest. Traffic for CSX coming from the west was picked up by the D&TS Local at Edison Yard.

D&TS had cut back to two crews six days per week and PH&D one crew six days per week.

AARR
Ann Arbor RR Nerd

Unread post by AARR »

Between the years of 2010 and 2015 the SD40 fleet (22 units) was evaluated. It was about 20 years since their last rebuild and a decision to rebuild or replace was discussed. A major consideration was the dumping sheds at Monroe was to small to accommodate more modern power.

One scenario was rebuild the 22 SD40's to -2 standards. The SD40's, while underpowered compared to modern engines, were reliable, easy to maintain and the crews liked them. The con was with modern power a substantial engine reduction could be realized (from 22 to 14).

Another consideration was to purchase 14 SD70MAC's from BNSF through a leasing company, Progress Rail Leasing. Engines 9551-9564 were involved. They were early models (built in late 1994) with straight radiators and rated at 4,000 hp. They were dependable and had a proven track record. They could be rebuilt to 4300 hp and equipped to meet the latest Tier EPA requirements that would be noticed by the flared radiator panels.

Another option was to bundle 14 with CN's order of SD70M-2's. CN was receiving the last of an order for 190. However, it was a relatively new model, was DC rather than AC, and was having some start-up issues.

There were other proposals considered with other SD70 models (GE was not considered even though it was a better engine but conflicted with the rest of the EMD fleet).

In the end fuel, which is a major expense, won out and the SD40's were sadly retired when the 14 SD80MAC's were acquired. The dumping shed at Monroe would have to be modified to accommodate the slightly wider and longer engines. With coal trains now numbering up to 133 cars two SD70MAC's could do the work of three SD40's resulting in a considerable cost savings.

The GP38-2's continued to serve as the local and yard power and the GP7's continued to serve as DTE plant switchers.

AARR
Ann Arbor RR Nerd

Unread post by AARR »

Owner: DTE 116-118 (SW7) & 119-121 (SW9)
Model: EMD SW9 Built As: DTS 119 (SW9)
Serial Number: 12458 Order No: 4073
Frame Number: 4073-1 Built: 3/1951
Notes: Acquired 1985. Retired 2001.
Other locos with this serial: GTW 6119(SW9) DTS 119(SW9)

Owner: D&TE 6041, 6042, 6043, 6044, 6045, 6048
Model: EMD GP7 Built As: DTS 49 (GP7)
Serial Number: 16207 Order No: 5153
Frame Number: 5153-5 Built: 4/1952
Notes: Acquired 1985. Ex-D&TS/PH&D.
Other locos with this serial: GTW 6048(GP7) DTS 48(GP7)

Owner: D&TS / PH&D 2211 (GTW 6215), 2223 (GTW 6216), 2224 (GTW 6217), 2221 (GTW 6218), 2225 (GTW 6219), 2222 (GTW 6220)
Model: EMD GP38AC Built As: DTI 220 (GP38AC)
Serial Number: 36871 Order No: 7287
Frame Number: 7287-6 Built: 7/1971
Notes: Acquired 2000
Other locos with this serial: LLPX 2222(GP38AC) GTW 6220(GP38AC) DTI 220(GP38AC)

Owner: DTE 9551-9564
Model: EMD SD70MAC Built As: BN 9564 (SD70MAC)
Serial Number: 946555-23 Order No: 946555
Frame Number: 946555-23 Built: 12/1994
Notes: Ex-BN, to PRLX, Acquired 2014
Other locos with this serial: PRLX 9564(SD70MAC) BNSF 9564(SD70MAC) BN 9564(SD70MAC)

AARR
Ann Arbor RR Nerd

Unread post by AARR »

From 2015 to date there have not been significant changes but one that will be coming up is the DTE plants either closing or discontinuing coal usage between 2025-2050. This will affect the plants at Monroe (receives 7-8 133 car units per week), Trenton (receives 1-2 per week), River Rouge (receives 1 per week) and Belle River/St. Clair (receives 7-8 per week).

The six GP38-2's continue to serve the yard and local duties and six GP7's serve the DTE interplant duties.

Consumers Power's Whiting Plant closed in 2016. They were down to 1 coal train per week at the end.

Customers (in addition to DTE) on the D&TS Sub are:
- Toledo: TRANSCO repairs cars at the old D&TS car shop building
- Monroe: Ventower ships out windmill towers
- Monroe: Gerdau receives scrap metal and ships out rebar and steel billets. Share switching with NS who gets most of the business. Typically D&TS will handle 15-23 cars per week.
- Monroe: Michigan Paving & Materials receives 500-800 cars per year of asphalt often in blocks of 20+ cars. There are 48 unloading spots on four tracks so it can take several hours to spot cars (share with NS but D&TS currently gets all the business from CN).
Rockwood: RJ Marshall Materials bagging plant receives 2-5 cars per month of crushed limestone and other aggregates.
Rockwood: Team track that was last used to transload trash from Toronto to a local landfill. Currently inactive.
Rockwood: US Silica ships out 5-20 cars per weekday of crushed limestone and silica.
Gibraltar (Denby): HyCAL – Ferrolux Metals just opened on the old McLouth Steel property, paid to reopen a spur and is expecting to ship 20-30 cars per month of steel products.
Trenton: Solutia (ex Monsanto) receives 1-2 cars a week of chemicals. It is all that is left of this huge plant that used to receive over 1,000 cars per year of various chemicals and soda ash.
Trenton: Mans Lumber receives 1-3 cars per week of lumber
Interchanges with CN at Edison Yard in Trenton, CSX in Toledo and NS in Monroe. Transfers overhead cars between CN (points west) to CSX.

One crew works the day shift six days per week

CN runs four trains over the D&TS Sub. Both originate in Toronto. One goes to CSX Walbridge Yard and the other to NS Bellevue Yard.

AARR
Ann Arbor RR Nerd

Unread post by AARR »

Customers (in addition to DTE) on the PH&S Sub are:
- Marysville: Mopar - Spur is inactive
- Marysville: Bulk Guys - Spur is inactive
- Marysville: Marysville Underground Terminal - Receives up to 12 cars at a time of LPG totaling 1,200-1,500 cars annually and ships out 360-450 cars annually of LPG.
- Marysville: Marysville Ethanol - Temporarily closed since 2019
- St. Clair: Pier One Polymer - Receives 8-12 cars per week of plastic pellets
- St. Clair: Engineered Plastic Components - Receives 1-3 cars per week of plastic pellets
- St. Clair: Amoco - Receives up to 28 cars at a time of LPG totaling 2,800-3,500 cars per year and ships out 840-1,050 cars per year of LPG.
- St. Clair: Cargill - Spur is inactive

Interchanges with CN and CSX in Port Huron.

One crew works the day shift six days per week

AARR
Ann Arbor RR Nerd

Unread post by AARR »

There has been considerable track work this Summer as usual. Due to the heavy coal replacing worn rail, keeping ballast secure, bridge maintenance and other capital is a priority.

The GP38-2’s are receiving their overhauls and all six will be complete by the end of 2022. Progress Rail is the company performing the service at their Mayfield, KY plant.

HyCAL – Ferrolux Metals, located in Gibraltar and a relatively new customer, is shipping up to 30 cars a month of cold-rolled steel.

D&TS has a pool of 300 two-bay center flows for the U.S. Silica plant in Rockwood. They manufacturer crushed aggregate, limestone and silica primarily for the glass manufacturing industry.

DTE maintains a large fleet of rotary-dump open top hoppers to service its four plants.

Amoco Dome and Marysville Underground are starting to receive larger numbers of LPG to fill up their storage areas in preparation of the winter. Both get switched on average three times per week with Amoco receiving up to 28 cars and Marysville 12 cars at a time. Both CN and CSX make deliveries. Outbound LPG from both terminals will begin around October and November.

AARR
Ann Arbor RR Nerd

Unread post by AARR »

Effective January 1, 2023, CN re-acquired the Shoreline Sub and Mt. Clemens Sub.

Ownership was retained of the PH&D Sub and named Port Huron and St. Clair (PHSC). It is under the RR&R family that also includes MC&S.

Two engines were retained:
Owner: Port Huron & St. Clair
Model: EMD GP38-2 Built As: DTI 216 (GP38AC)
Serial Number: 36867
Order No: 7287
Frame Number: 7287-2 Built: 7/1971
Notes: ex-DTI
Other locos with this serial: PHSC 2260 (GP38-2) GMTX 2260(GP38-2) LLPX 2223(GP38AC) GTW 6216(GP38AC) DTI 216(GP38AC)

Owner: Port Huron & St. Clair
Model: EMD GP38-2 Built As: DTI 217 (GP38AC)
Serial Number: 36868
Order No: 7287
Frame Number: 7287-3 Built: 7/1971
Notes: ex-DTI
Other locos with this serial: PHSC 2261 (GP38-2) GMTX 2261(GP38-2) LLPX 2224(GP38AC) GTW 6217(GP38AC) DTI 217(GP38AC)

GP38ac RR&R 1776 is used when traffic is heavy.

PHSC operations is typically three days per week. Two crews operate all three railroads (RR&R, MC&S and PHSC) and go where needed.

CSX operates a turn from Flint over CN track between Flint and Port Huron.

CSX also delivers eastern coal three times per week using the same trackage rights on CN. Typically, a PHSC crew operates the entire 133-car unit coal train, including the engines, from Port Huron to St. Clair and back.

After a hiatus of several years, Cargill Salt in St. Clair has resumed rail service by receiving bagged road salt from out east. This averages 1-4 carloads per week.

Lumber Jack Building Centers has reopened the old Biewer Lumber wood treating spur and are getting their lumber there. They average 2-5 carloads per month.

Not including coal, PHSC is forecasting 5,450-7,180 carloads in 2023. PHSC is very profitable with an Operating Ratio of 30-40%.

AARR
Ann Arbor RR Nerd

Unread post by AARR »

PHSC has accepted an offer to sell its line to LSRC. LSRC will retain both GP38-2’s. LSRC will also take over the road train between Flint and Port Huron from CSX. Although, LSRC is negotiating with CN to gain haulage rights on CN’s Mt. Clemens Sub to CSX’s Rouge Yard.