Muskegon Shoreline (MUSH)

Sub forum for Paper Railroads
AARR
Ann Arbor RR Nerd

Muskegon Shoreline (MUSH)

Unread post by AARR »

Michigan Shore (MS) has been losing traffic since taking over the CSX lines north of West Olive to Berry Jct. and Fremont (47 miles). Short branches to Webb Chemical (1 mile), Roosevelt Yard (2 miles), the Bayer Spur (1 mile) and the Nugent Sand transload spur (1 mile) add up to 52 miles of ROW. G&W sold MS to a group of Western Michigan investors who renamed the railroad Muskegon Shoreline (MUSH) and operations began on June 1st, 2022.

The main yard (11 tracks) and engine house is in N. Muskegon. There is also an engine house in the old GTW Roosevelt Yard.

The track is rated from West Olive to Berry Jct. is rated for 286,000 lbs cars and 25 mph. All other track is rated for 263,000 lbs cars and 10 mph.

The following are spurs of both active and inactive customers:
Spring Lake - Bay Logistics: Warehousing and logistics. Inactive
Muskegon - Webb Chemical: Receives 10-15 tank cars per week
Muskegon - Roosevelt Yard: Car storage
Muskegon - West Michigan Dock: Transloading. Inactive
North Muskegon - Brink Terminal Services: Receives 8-10 cars per week of nitrogen solution
North Muskegon - 1975 Bayer then 2018 BASF who closed in 2020. Under Bayer/BASF received 7-10 tank cars per week. Acquired by Life Sciences and should begin production of Chromatography Resins in 2025. It is unknown if LS will want rail service.
Berry Jct. - Nugent Sand Transload: Ships out foundry and fracking sand. 30-45 cars a week.
Fremont - Ceres Solutions: Inbound fertilizer but traffic is infrequent
Fremont - Lumber Transload (ex-Fremont Co-op dock): Used infrequently
Fremont - Gerber: Manufacturers baby food products. Inactive

For now MUSH is leasing a pair of G&W GP38's:
Number Assigned to Model Built Paint History Notes
MMRR 2019 MS GP38 1970 G&W w/ MMRR logos Ex-BPRR 51/GNWR 51/CR 7862/PC 7862. First MI unit in G&W Paint. Came from BPRR after repaint 02/2013.
MMRR 2170 MS GP38-2 1973 G&W w/ MMRR Logos Ex-NS 5295/CR 8100/PC 8100 Arrived 10/5/2020.

There is a lot of work to do and with Life Science future's unclear MUSH will begin pursuing new customers immediately.
PatC created a monster, 'cause nobody wants to see Don Simon no more they want AARR I'm chopped liver, well if you want AARR this is what I'll give ya, bad humor mixed with irrelevant info that'll make you roll your eyes quicker than a ~Z~ banhammer...

GRHC
Railroadfan...fan

Re: Muskegon Shoreline (MUSH)

Unread post by GRHC »

AARR wrote:
Wed Jun 29, 2022 7:52 pm
Michigan Shore (MS) has been losing traffic since taking over the CSX lines north of West Olive to Berry Jct. and Fremont (47 miles). Short branches to Webb Chemical (1 mile), Roosevelt Yard (2 miles), the Bayer Spur (1 mile) and the Nugent Sand transload spur (1 mile) add up to 52 miles of ROW. G&W sold MS to a group of Western Michigan investors who renamed the railroad Muskegon Shoreline (MUSH) and operations began on June 1st, 2022.

The main yard (11 tracks) and engine house is in N. Muskegon. There is also an engine house in the old GTW Roosevelt Yard.

When the Michigan Shore was owned by G&W they used the yard in North Muskegon for car storage and the engine house was shuttered. They used the ex PM/C&O/CSX yard and engine house located at East Western Avenue in downtown Muskegon. The original Michigan shore used the N. Muskegon yard and engine house when CSX still owned and operated the Fremont subdivision. Apparently this has changed with the new ownership. If such is the case what will become of the East Western Ave. yard and engine house.

Even though Webb chemical is located in Muskegon the branch line (ex GTW) originates off the main in Muskegon Heights.

AARR
Ann Arbor RR Nerd

Unread post by AARR »

Thank you for the information. It is appreciated.
GR H & C wrote:
Wed Jun 29, 2022 8:41 pm
When the Michigan Shore was owned by G&W they used the yard in North Muskegon for car storage and the engine house was shuttered. They used the ex PM/C&O/CSX yard and engine house located at East Western Avenue in downtown Muskegon. The original Michigan Shore used the N. Muskegon yard and engine house when CSX still owned and operated the Fremont subdivision. Apparently this has changed with the new ownership. If such is the case what will become of the East Western Ave. yard and engine house.
PatC created a monster, 'cause nobody wants to see Don Simon no more they want AARR I'm chopped liver, well if you want AARR this is what I'll give ya, bad humor mixed with irrelevant info that'll make you roll your eyes quicker than a ~Z~ banhammer...

GRHC
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by GRHC »

What is the possibility of establishing passenger rail service between Muskegon and Holland that would connect directly to Amtrak’s Pere Marquette train from Grand Rapids to Chicago and return. Would there be any possibility in establishing commuter rail between Holland and Muskegon? I also heard rumors horrible rumors (railroadfan.com) that the line between Port Sheldon and Muskegon may be torn up. I’ve also heard rumors that there are groups and individuals that would like to see that rail line saved as a rail line and are prepared purchase the line or go to court to save the line and if they can’t do that at worst they will tie up any abandonment for years.

AARR
Ann Arbor RR Nerd

Unread post by AARR »

MUSH is keeping MS's same schedule for now:
Muskegon Switcher Muskegon Stays in Muskegon Tues, Thurs Works on days Z627 doesn't run
Z627 Muskegon Holland (Waverly Yard) Mon-Wed-Fri Symbol used on CSX

Engine Roster
Owner: Mid-Michigan Railroad Incorporated
Model: EMD GP38 Built As: PC 7862 (GP38)
Serial Number: 36478 Order No: 7265
Frame Number: 7265-38 Built: 6/1970
Notes: Leased from G&W
Other locos with this serial: MMRR 2019(GP38) BPRR 51(GP38) GNWR 51(GP38) CR 7862(GP38) PC 7862(GP38)

Owner: Mid-Michigan Railroad Incorporated
Model: EMD GP38-2 Built As: PC 8100 (GP38-2)
Serial Number: 72627-61 Order No: 72627
Frame Number: 72627-61 Built: 2/1973
Notes: Leased from G&W
Other locos with this serial: MMRR 2170(GP38-2) NS 5295(GP38-2) CR 8100(GP38-2) PC 8100(GP38-2)

AARR
Ann Arbor RR Nerd

Unread post by AARR »

While this is a great idea it is unlikely due to the cost of upgrading the line to Amtrak standards.
GR H & C wrote:
Thu Jun 30, 2022 3:04 pm
What is the possibility of establishing passenger rail service between Muskegon and Holland that would connect directly to Amtrak’s Pere Marquette train from Grand Rapids to Chicago and return.

AARR
Ann Arbor RR Nerd

Unread post by AARR »

MUSH has just acquired two GP38-2’s from a new locomotive Bay City Locomotive Services (BCLX), a locomotive sales, salvage & leasing company started in 2022.

Owner: Muskegon Shoreline 2800
Model: EMD GP38-2 Built As: CR 8246 (GP38-2)
Serial Number: 787147-23
Order No: 787147
Frame Number: 787147-23 Built: 9/1978
Notes: Overhauled 2015. Acquired from BCLX 2022.
Other locos with this serial: BCLX 2800(GP38-2) CSX 2800(GP38-2) CR 8246(GP38-2)
2800 will be shipped to Holland and begin service immediately.

Owner: Muskegon Shoreline 2803
Model: EMD GP38-2 Built As: CR 8251 (GP38-2)
Serial Number: 787147-28
Order No: 787147
Frame Number: 787147-28 Built: 9/1978
Notes: Acquired from BCLX 2022
Other locos with this serial: CSX 2803(GP38-2) CR 8251(GP38-2)
2803 will be overhauled by GLC Owosso shops and shipped to Holland to begin service on MUSH.

After the arrival of 2803, both G&W GP38’s, 2019 and 2170, will be returned to owner.

In other news Ceres Solutions received a 6-car block of potash, the first shipments they have received by rail in several years. They are expecting a 5-car block of potash and a tank car of nitrogen before the end of the year.

Bay Logistics south of Muskegon, with a well-maintained double switch but inactive spur, received a 5-car block of cardboard stock from a mill down south. It is for a Grand Rapids packaging company who has a spur on their property but prefer to use a logistics company to store and deliver Just in Time (JIT) due to warehousing issues. They are expecting to receive 3-5 cars per week.

AARR
Ann Arbor RR Nerd

Unread post by AARR »

MUSH is combining operations with KLSC and GRSE. They will share administrative, operations and maintenance.

An overhaul of 2803 was completed by GLC and is back in service on MUSH. Both G&W units have been returned.

Gerber in Fremont is receiving soybean oil. It is the first inbound feedstock in recent memory and the first rail service since around 2009. They forecast getting 2-3 carloads per week. It is unloaded in a fenced off area next to the plant.

Ceres Solutions received another 5-car block of potash and a tank car of nitrogen.

Viking Forest Products is receiving lumber at the West Michigan Dock and Market. They are getting 2-5 carloads a month.

MUSH is forecasting under 4,000 carloads in 2023. With 52 miles of track the goal is to reach a minimum of 5,200 carloads per year so MUSH still has its work cut out for them.

AARR
Ann Arbor RR Nerd

Unread post by AARR »

MUSH has entered into an agreement with Hamilton Hartford Group to sell MUSH effective 9/1/23. Despite a strong effort MUSH was not able to attain the 100 cars per mile per year average it takes to achieve profitability. After selling KLSC to WATCO, it didn’t have the economies of size to offset the costs. Patriot Rail will be in a much better position to maintain and grow business.