West Detroit Industrial (WDIN)

Sub forum for Paper Railroads
AARR
Ann Arbor RR Nerd

West Detroit Industrial (WDIN)

Unread post by AARR »

I just took this line over. It is the former CSX West Detroit Branch. It is about 6-7 miles long starting in Oak Yard due east to just past the Thyssen Krupp steel warehouse. With Coca Cola closing its doors that leaves the line with one customer, the Kimmel Scrap Iron & Metal scrap metal yard about halfway down the line. They ship 5-10 cars per week and require switching twice a week. I will acquire an old SW unit (probably a SW1200 type).

This will be a tough line to attract customers. Other than the well-lighted Oak Yard trackage there are not a lot of other places for transloading, and it is not the nicest neighborhood in which to get out of one's vehicle and transload product.

I am going to focus on a few things:
- Approach TK to try rail transportation again. They are a major aluminum and steel distributor; they have the equipment necessary to transload from the track next to their building and ship the kind of high volumes of bulk product (mostly steel coils but also some steel rod) that travels well by rail.
- Reopen one of the interchange tracks at Fuller Jct. This will give me access to CR (NS) and more options means more traffic possibilities.
- Attract another bulk liquid manufacturer to the ex-Coca Cola plant. The spur is still intact.
- Attract a company to the former Greenfield Lumber site. The spur is still intact. A possibility is Friendship Brick (currently located on CR's P Company Branch). FB's current location is extremely cramped. They are one of the last brick places to still receive rail service. They would like to find a bigger place and continue to receive rail service and the former GL location might be a perfect fit.
- There are a few (very few) other on-line former customers whose switches and spurs have been removed (like DTE's Logistics Yard). I will approach them to see if it would make sense for them to try rail service again.

I have my work cut out for me. Stay tuned.
PatC created a monster, 'cause nobody wants to see Don Simon no more they want AARR I'm chopped liver, well if you want AARR this is what I'll give ya, bad humor mixed with irrelevant info that'll make you roll your eyes quicker than a ~Z~ banhammer...

AARR
Ann Arbor RR Nerd

Re: West Detroit Industrial (WDIN)

Unread post by AARR »

WDIN is meeting with ThyssenKrupp. TK is no-nonsense, all-business, company. They don’t tolerate failure or “reasons” for not meeting objectives. To get their business it will take both low price and good service. To get the right price a path toward NS has to be found. NS has lower rates than CSX, WDIN's other outside connection. The interchange with CR at Fuller would work but will have to be rehabilitated and TK will not contribute one penny. Secondly, a lane for NS has to be secured with minimal to no yard handling to insure consistent and reliable service. Any “carload” traffic risks losing velocity and getting lost in yards. There is substantial business at stake so talks will continue and WDIN is doing its due-diligence.
PatC created a monster, 'cause nobody wants to see Don Simon no more they want AARR I'm chopped liver, well if you want AARR this is what I'll give ya, bad humor mixed with irrelevant info that'll make you roll your eyes quicker than a ~Z~ banhammer...

AARR
Ann Arbor RR Nerd

Unread post by AARR »

WDIN decided to to with this engine:
Owner: West Detroit Industrial 8153
Model: EMD SW1200RS Built As: CP 8153 (SW1200RS)
Serial Number: A1899 Order No: C275
Frame Number: Built: 7/1960
Notes: Acquired from RTEX 2021
Other locos with this serial: RTEX 8153(SW1200RS) CP 8153(SW1200RS)

Kimmel Scrap Iron & Metal, the lines only customer, continues to ship 5-10 cars per week and require switching twice a week.

It looks like a deal is close with Thyssen Krupp. It will require reopening one of the connecting tracks with CR at Fuller Jct.

There are good discussions with Friendship Brick acquiring the old Greenfield Lumber Yard (spur is still intact).

Finally, talks with Green Polymeric Materials may lead to WDIN's first transload customer.

Stay tuned.....

AARR
Ann Arbor RR Nerd

Unread post by AARR »

Green Polymeric Materials will begin transloading plastic pellets from Oak Yard. The will receive 1-3 cars every two weeks (approximately 4-5 per month). This is the first customer WDIN has added.

WDIN is finding out how much red-tape is involved in getting things done. For example, they would like to re-establish a connection with Conrail at Fullerton. This would allow them to interchange with another railroad (besides CSX) and could be beneficial in getting new customers with Thyssen Krupp and Friendship Brick and Stone. WDIN "thought" that because the connection they want to re-establish (SW quadrant) is still groomed it would be easy, but that is not the case. CR and the City of Detroit have many levels of administration that have to approve the project before it can commence. For example, with the City of Detroit there is an environmental impact study, racism impact study, traffic impact study and even quid pro quo deals before they can get approval (like donating to a politicians campaign). With CR, who could benefit with the interchange traffic, they have to check with multiple departments (including the bean counters and lawyers) and the unions and get everyone's buy in before they install they single switch it would take to reopen the line (I am not kidding, all that to install a single switch). WDIN did not anticipate this kind of headache, nevertheless they are moving forward because the payoff could be big especially with Thyssen Krupp (potentially 25 cars per week). But it is no wonder that a railfan will look and say, "why does that railroad not get that business", and now you know the rest of the story of the costs and headaches associated with trying to grow railroad business.

AARR
Ann Arbor RR Nerd

Unread post by AARR »

WDIN continues to operate two times per week with SW1200RS 8153. Service is usually Tuesday and Friday.

Kimmel Scrap Iron and Metal continues to get switched twice a week shipping 5-10 cars per week.

Green Polymeric Materials receives 4-5 cars per month of plastic pellets. Originally they transloaded from Oak Yard. However, the transload was moved to an unused spur across the tracks from GPM. That practice stopped quickly due to theft and vandalism. So the transload is back at Oak Yard which, thanks to CP's container yard nearby, is lighted and policed 24/7.

Friendship Brick & Stone continues to be interested in moving from their very cramped site at Lyndon and Schaefer and move to a more spacious location on Greenfield (ex Greenfield Lumber site). This deal could get done in a month or two providing a unforeseen deal killer doesn't pop up. Currently, FB&S receives 40-60 cars per year but with additional business and space they project that could increase by 50% (60-90).

The reopening of an interchange track with CR at Fullerton Jct. looks promising but the process is frustrating. At times two steps forward are made then something ridiculous happens and it goes back a step.

WDIN is losing money at this time but the owners are willing to be patient a little longer to see if they can make something happen soon.

AARR
Ann Arbor RR Nerd

Unread post by AARR »

WDIN is now part of the TOAD family of railroads which includes TOAD, WDIN, DIND, PHIN, LIND, PONB, JAIL and CHIN.

For now, SW1200RS 8153 will remain but be renumbered to 1201 in keeping with TOAD new numbering scheme.
Owner: West Detroit Industrial
Model: EMD SW1200RS Built As: CP 8153 (SW1200RS)
Serial Number: A1899
Order No: C275
Frame Number: Built: 7/1960
Notes: Renumbered in 2022
Other locos with this serial: WDIN 1201 (SW1200RS) RTEX 8153(SW1200RS) CP 8153(SW1200RS)

The interchange at Fullerton Jct. is reopened and traffic to Thyssen Krupp has commenced. Interchange with CR includes steel coils for Thyssen Krupp and brick for Friendship.

With new business the customers look like this:
• Friendship Brick & Stone moved into the old Greenfield Lumber site and receives 60-90 carloads a year
• Kimmel Scrap Iron and Metal continues to get switched twice a week shipping 5-10 cars per week
• Green Polymeric Materials receives 4-5 cars per month of plastic pellets
• Thyssen Krupp receives 11-17 cars a week of aluminum and steel coils.

Operations is usually Tuesday, Thursday and Saturday. Usually, the crew that works PONB on Wednesday also works WDIN as well as occasionally Unit grain trains on TOAD and grain extras on CHIN.

Carloads for 2023 will be in the 1,020-1,430 range.

AARR
Ann Arbor RR Nerd

Unread post by AARR »

A handful of railroads have been sold to Transportation Holdings, LLC. under their Adrian & Toledo (ADTO) division including CHIN, DIND, JAIL and LIND.

WDIN along with PHIN, PONB and PONW will remain in the Southeast Michigan Railroad (SEMI) group of railroads.

AARR
Ann Arbor RR Nerd

Unread post by AARR »

Nothing has changed since the last update. Customers, operations and engine roster remain the same.

Track is rated for 283,000 pound cars thanks to CSX upgrading it shortly before the sale. However, there is a speed restriction of five mph due to numerous road crossings, pedestrians frequently walking along the ROW and vandalism including sabotaging the track (recently, a section of rail was stolen).

There are discussions with Quaker Houghton. They have a pair of plants on the Conrail Terminal West Branch that are serviced by CR. However, they are not satisfied with the service so are considering sending at least some of their products via CSX to WDIN and transloading them at Oak Yard. QH are looking at other options including CSX’s own Transflo yard.

With the Thyssen Krupp business WDIN is profitable even though they lose some due to the very high insurance and overhead costs of operating in a part of town with a high crime rate.

Daytime railfanning is safe. WDIN is railfan friendly, but management can be a little skittish due to the crime in the area so if approached by police please be cordial and patient while they do their job protecting railroad crews and property.

AARR
Ann Arbor RR Nerd

Unread post by AARR »

WDIN is evaluating whether they can operate a transload operation from Oak Yard. It is underutilized, has the space and access to nearby major roads. However, its two connecting partners, CSX and NS (via CR) also have major transload terminals in the area CSX operates Transflo Terminal in Boat Yard Detroit and NS Willis Bulk Transfer Terminal Ypsilanti. Both do not operate at full capacity. Currently, WDIN handles four to five cars per month for Green Polymeric Materials. Quaker Houghton is quoting rates for CSX-WDIN (they are doing the same with an all CSX handling at Transflo) and moving some of their NS-CR traffic. WDIN would be in a better position if CSX and NS were at capacity.

In other news the DTE Warren Service Center will resume shipments of inbound transformer oil. Their last shipment was in 2020. DTEWSC used to have an elaborate setup of spurs in their yard for several types of oils and transformers. All the spur tracks and turnouts have been removed. They only received about 10-15 cars a year although you would have thought it was a lot more based on the numerous spurs and switchbacks inside their property. DTE is forecasting three to four cars a year. Unloading will take place from the mainline.