Upper Michigan & Northern Railroad

Sub forum for Paper Railroads
Lafrey01
Railroadfan...fan

Upper Michigan & Northern Railroad

Unread post by Lafrey01 »

This is a class III railroad in the UP of Michigan. It has two disconected lines. The south line runs from an interchange with ELS and WMNE near Escanaba in the Wells area, north to Negaunee where it interchanges with LSI. The north line runs from an interchange with the Mineral Range Railroad and LSI near Champion to Baraga, interchanging with ELS at Nestoria. Here is their customer list:

Verso Corporation (Wells) [Hoppers, Tankers, Boxcars] {Pulp, Chemicals, Paper, Lumber}
Transloading (Brampton) [Flat Cars] {Lumber}
Transloading (Rock) [Unknown] {Unknown}
Potlach Corporation (K.I. Sawyer AFB) [Woodchip Cars, Bathtub Gondolas, Flat Cars] {Lumber, Woodchips}
LSI Interchange (Negaunee) [Hoppers, Ore Cars, Gondolas] {Grain, Stone, Ore}
MRI Interchange (Champion Junction) [Gondolas] {Ore}
Longyear Woodlands (Northwestern Lake) [Flat Cars] {Lumber}
Unknown Lumber Company (L'Anse) [Flat Cars] {Lumber}
CertainTeed Ceilings (L'Anse) [Flat Cars, Bathtub Gondolas, Hoppers, Gondolas, Boxcars] {Aggregates, Lumber, Gypsum}
Massie Manufacturing (Baraga) [Boxcars] {Unknown}
Laser North, Inc (Baraga) [Boxcars] {Unknown}

The interchange with ELS at Nestoria is currently out of service.
UMN uses 5 GP40-2s 5 GP39-2s 5 SD40-2s and 5 SW1500s.

-UMN 5 SW1500
-UMN 10 SW1500
-UMN 15 SW1500
-UMN 20 SW1500
-UMN 25 SW1500
-UMN 100 GP39-2
-UMN 200 GP40-2
-UMN 300 GP39-2
-UMN 400 GP40-2
-UMN 500 GP40-2
-UMN 600 GP40-2
-UMN 700 GP39-2
-UMN 800 GP40-2
-UMN 900 GP39-2
-UMN 1000 GP39-2
-UMN 2000 SD40-2
-UMN 4000 SD40-2
-UMN 5000 SD40-2
-UMN 6000 SD40-2
-UMN 8000 SD40-2

They are owned by The States Company, LLC

AARR
Ann Arbor RR Nerd

Re: Upper Michigan & Northern Railroad

Unread post by AARR »

This may be the first UP MI paper railroad 8) . I may post mine someday.
PatC created a monster, 'cause nobody wants to see Don Simon no more they want AARR I'm chopped liver, well if you want AARR this is what I'll give ya, bad humor mixed with irrelevant info that'll make you roll your eyes quicker than a ~Z~ banhammer...

Saturnalia
Authority on Cat

Unread post by Saturnalia »

Speaking only in real-life terms here, the spur siding at Rock, along with Brampton and Sands, no longer serve any purposed beyond MOW and the occasional bad order setout. I have a hunch that Brampton was more recently a pulpwood loadout, but Don would know better than I.

Note they don't get service in real life, but interestingly in Baraga Pettibone manufactures plenty of on-track railroad equipment such as magnet-lifters (not sure what the official name is) and other goodies. Not enough traffic to warrant rail service, unfortunately.
Thornapple River Rail Series - YouTube
Safety today is your investment for tomorrow

AARR
Ann Arbor RR Nerd

Unread post by AARR »

I'll let Don speak for himself but like Saturn I'm not aware of rail service at Brampton
Saturnalia wrote:Speaking only in real-life terms here, the spur siding at Rock, along with Brampton and Sands, no longer serve any purposed beyond MOW and the occasional bad order setout. I have a hunch that Brampton was more recently a pulpwood loadout, but Don would know better than I.
PatC created a monster, 'cause nobody wants to see Don Simon no more they want AARR I'm chopped liver, well if you want AARR this is what I'll give ya, bad humor mixed with irrelevant info that'll make you roll your eyes quicker than a ~Z~ banhammer...