GRE Grand Rapids Eastern (Lowell)

Daily whereabouts of train locations along with sightings for heads ups to other railfans.
run8ed
Railroadfan...fan

Re: GRE Grand Rapids Eastern (Lowell)

Unread post by run8ed »

Well, at some point this morning they brought in more cars from the yard and I didn't hear the horn, nor did I hear my scanner--the latter due primarily to the fact that the volume was turned down to zero. I'm sure they are back in G.R. by now... and the small yard south of Lowell is currently empty for the first time in a few weeks...
"Let's keep the freight rolling, gentlemen..."

Plannerdad
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Plannerdad »

GRE was parked on the east side of Ada around 11:00am, pointed west with a long line of cars. The lights were off and crew was inside. Maybe waiting for work to finish on the Spaulding crossing?

kd_1014
Mike

Unread post by kd_1014 »

Plannerdad wrote:
Thu Aug 31, 2023 12:39 pm
GRE was parked on the east side of Ada around 11:00am, pointed west with a long line of cars. The lights were off and crew was inside. Maybe waiting for work to finish on the Spaulding crossing?
They tied down there yesterday, not sure if it had to do with the Spaulding crossing or not.

Plannerdad
Railroadfan...fan

The loaded lumber car has been in the yard all week.

Plannerdad
Railroadfan...fan

GRE just crossed the Grand WB. I lost count but over 30 cars, including 2 AMWAY hoppers mid-train. Long day for the crew!

Plannerdad
Railroadfan...fan

GRE just headed east across the Grand. Maybe 15-17 cars.

GRRailFan08
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by GRRailFan08 »

Plannerdad wrote:
Fri Sep 01, 2023 10:25 am
GRE just headed east across the Grand. Maybe 15-17 cars.

Plymouth Ave. @ 10:35 AM
GR Area Railfan

Plannerdad
Railroadfan...fan

Wife reported WB south of Lowell around 1:30. She would not be amused with a car count!

tsinoms
Adult Gerber Baby

Unread post by tsinoms »

They have returned back downtown GR. Mission failed on the horn change.
This is my life. There are many like it, but this one is mine.

If this is a problem get used to it.

run8ed
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by run8ed »

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ni9aUND4KxA
hopefully this plays--it is a youtube "shorts" video and I'm not sure how to upload this type of video.

Grand Rapids Eastern pulling out of King Milling across the Flat River in Lowell, with 4 empties. Just a few minutes earlier they had dropped off a cut of loads and within about a half hour of this video were headed back to Grand Rapids with all the empties. 9.5.2023 Tuesday morning ~9am

Plannerdad
Railroadfan...fan

Seemed to work. Nice shot!

Andy24
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Andy24 »

Today’s M326 brought in more grain cars for GRE. 3 green Burlington Northern in consist with a lot of BNSF grain cars.
Average railfan reporter on Grand Rapids Sub, Plymouth Sub, and Area Short Lines Railroads.

Follow my channel for more: https://www.youtube.com/@ATARP24

kd_1014
Mike

Unread post by kd_1014 »

GRE heading east near Plainfield/Creston neighborhood 09:05

Plannerdad
Railroadfan...fan

Appears to be back in the yard, but I missed it.

run8ed
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by run8ed »

I saw one of those green BN cars at King today. Fun fact: when I cross the tracks there with the bus, I HAVE to stop, open the door, and look both ways! :) This assists me greatly in observing operations...

Yard tracks at Segwun empty--evidently they took everything they brought out of GR straight into King Milling.

Inbound cars have been very consistent for a couple months now. And yet I noted not a single car at King in a recent Bing maps aerial map (maybe late spring 2023??). So I am wondering--are the heavy carloadings due to low grain prices to free up capacity for the harvest, low grain prices due to the current harvest, or increased need for grain due to expansion?

In other observations, many of the cars appear to be older 263k capacity cars. I am curious if the 286k cars are fully loaded? So many questions!!!

MQT1223
O Scale Railfanner

Re: GRE Grand Rapids Eastern

Unread post by MQT1223 »

NS3322 wrote:
Mon Aug 14, 2023 10:11 am
SD80MAC wrote:
Wed Jul 26, 2023 9:21 am
Once they get back to Grand Rapids, they split up their outbounds for CSX and GDLK (each RR has their own interchange track at Fuller), then put their engine in the barn.
Does GDLK interchange directly with MQT or CPMY? Or are both these handled via CSX and/or GRE?
All has to go via CSX. GDLK only goes up to switch their tank car transload if I remember right.

On an unrelated note… expect a lot of trackwork in Lowell soon. Sounds like the existing trackwork in town is going to be rebuild and expanded upon to accommodate the increase in traffic by the end of the year
1223 OUT! President and Founder of the Buck Creek Central, the Rolling River Route! (2012-2017) President and Founder of the Lamberton Valley Railroad, The Tin Plate Road! Proudly railfanning with Asperger's since 1996. :)

Plannerdad
Railroadfan...fan

They could use a couple switches toward the Flat River, if there is room. It would limit backup moves to the west.

run8ed
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by run8ed »

If they are expanding capacity at King, that would be interesting to see. They already have room to put 25+ cars north of M21 plus a few more on the siding (in addition to the 25+ capacity south of M-21). That crossing, like the one on Hudson street, is automated and their trackmobile can really zip along so it would seem feasible to me to simply put excess cars on those tracks. It will be neat to see what they decide to do!

run8ed
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by run8ed »

Also, regarding Grand Rapids Eastern, according to their website they interchange with both CSX and Grand Elk, along with Coopersville and Marne. And the line is rated for 286k cars! :)

https://www.gwrr.com/gr/

SD80MAC
Ingersoll's Mr. Michigan

Re: GRE Grand Rapids Eastern

Unread post by SD80MAC »

MQT1223 wrote:
Thu Sep 14, 2023 7:53 pm
NS3322 wrote:
Mon Aug 14, 2023 10:11 am
SD80MAC wrote:
Wed Jul 26, 2023 9:21 am
Once they get back to Grand Rapids, they split up their outbounds for CSX and GDLK (each RR has their own interchange track at Fuller), then put their engine in the barn.
Does GDLK interchange directly with MQT or CPMY? Or are both these handled via CSX and/or GRE?
All has to go via CSX. GDLK only goes up to switch their tank car transload if I remember right.
No. GDLK has direct access to interchange with GRE. The west/south interchange track on the CSX-GRE connection at Fuller belongs to the Elk.
"Remember, 4 mph is a couple, 5's a collision!"
http://flickriver.com/photos/conrail680 ... teresting/