GRE Grand Rapids Eastern (Lowell)

Daily whereabouts of train locations along with sightings for heads ups to other railfans.
SD80MAC
Ingersoll's Mr. Michigan

Re: GRE Grand Rapids Eastern (Lowell)

Unread post by SD80MAC »

GDLK interchanges with GRE directly at Fuller. All CPMY traffic from the GDLK must go via GRE, as does any CPMY traffic from CSX. The Elk has direct access to GRE via the old interchange agreement from the Conrail/GTW/C&O days. All GDLK-MQT traffic has to go via CSX at Wyoming yard. MQT does have rights to pick up and set off engines for GRE at Fuller, but not railcars.
"Remember, 4 mph is a couple, 5's a collision!"
http://flickriver.com/photos/conrail680 ... teresting/

kd_1014
Mike

Re: GRE Grand Rapids Eastern

Unread post by kd_1014 »

NS3322 wrote:
Mon Aug 14, 2023 10:11 am
SD80MAC wrote:
Wed Jul 26, 2023 9:21 am
Once they get back to Grand Rapids, they split up their outbounds for CSX and GDLK (each RR has their own interchange track at Fuller), then put their engine in the barn.
Does GDLK interchange directly with MQT or CPMY? Or are both these handled via CSX and/or GRE?
Interchanges with MQT via CSX. Interchanges directly with the GRE at Fuller Jct and interchanges CPMY via GRE

run8ed
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by run8ed »

GRE came in this morning (Monday) and probably pulled 20+ empties. Looks like they placed 25-30 onsite at King too--but I didn't make it past the siding at Segwun to see if they left any loads there. Maybe they will work M-W-F this week--the past two have been Tu-Th...
"Let's keep the freight rolling, gentlemen..."

pudgy
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by pudgy »

30 more loads arrived for GRE on M326 on Sunday, so they will continue to be fed traffic for another week at least for now.
Big Easy

Jetlink
Not a Railfan

Re: GRE Grand Rapids Eastern

Unread post by Jetlink »

NS3322 wrote:
Mon Aug 14, 2023 10:11 am
SD80MAC wrote:
Wed Jul 26, 2023 9:21 am
Once they get back to Grand Rapids, they split up their outbounds for CSX and GDLK (each RR has their own interchange track at Fuller), then put their engine in the barn.
Does GDLK interchange directly with MQT or CPMY? Or are both these handled via CSX and/or GRE?
Oh boy, Oh boy, Oh boy. Is that a loaded question. I'm going to go get my popcorn.
interested in trains

Patiently waiting for LansingRailfan to antagonize me in his tagline

Plannerdad
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Plannerdad »

I think they just went east, but I missed them.

NS3322
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by NS3322 »

SD80MAC wrote:
Mon Aug 14, 2023 11:06 am
GDLK interchanges with GRE directly at Fuller. All CPMY traffic from the GDLK must go via GRE, as does any CPMY traffic from CSX. The Elk has direct access to GRE via the old interchange agreement from the Conrail/GTW/C&O days. All GDLK-MQT traffic has to go via CSX at Wyoming yard. MQT does have rights to pick up and set off engines for GRE at Fuller, but not railcars.
kd_1014 wrote: Interchanges with MQT via CSX. Interchanges directly with the GRE at Fuller Jct and interchanges CPMY via GRE
Thank you both for the info!

Plannerdad
Railroadfan...fan

Both sidings south of Lowell are full of hoppers, plus around King is mostly full.

Andy24
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Andy24 »

I’m curious where does Y297 crew put the loaded covered hoppers for GRE at from recent M326s. Probably the GRE Yard by Fuller Junction?
Average railfan reporter on Grand Rapids Sub, Plymouth Sub, and Area Short Lines Railroads.

Follow my channel for more: https://www.youtube.com/@ATARP24

Plannerdad
Railroadfan...fan

CSX usually brings the loaded hoppers into the yard on Ann St (Fuller). I have not checked today.

GRRailFan08
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by GRRailFan08 »

GRE heard by Eastern ave, couldn’t tell direction, presumably west
GR Area Railfan

SD80MAC
Ingersoll's Mr. Michigan

Unread post by SD80MAC »

Andy24 wrote:
Wed Aug 16, 2023 6:41 am
I’m curious where does Y297 crew put the loaded covered hoppers for GRE at from recent M326s. Probably the GRE Yard by Fuller Junction?
No place else to put them unless they leave them in Wyoming yard until GRE has room.

Plannerdad
Railroadfan...fan

GRE yard on Ann St. is full.

GRRailFan08
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by GRRailFan08 »

GRE heard by Plymouth Ave, unknown direction
GR Area Railfan

run8ed
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by run8ed »

I'm hoping to get out and video GRE today (Friday) if they are running. Room for maybe 10 cars at King--both tracks at Segwan/Malta are full of hoppers, leaving only the main. Not sure how this will work the next time they come into town? Perhaps they will have to leave the inbound train west of Lowell until after switching is completed.

Always a variety of inbound cars: BNSF, UP, NS, TCW, plus unknown sources like AEX, OFOX, and NOKL. Saw a few CP family cars at Segwun too...

Andy24
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Andy24 »

run8ed wrote:
Fri Aug 18, 2023 11:19 am
I'm hoping to get out and video GRE today (Friday) if they are running. Room for maybe 10 cars at King--both tracks at Segwan/Malta are full of hoppers, leaving only the main. Not sure how this will work the next time they come into town? Perhaps they will have to leave the inbound train west of Lowell until after switching is completed.

Always a variety of inbound cars: BNSF, UP, NS, TCW, plus unknown sources like AEX, OFOX, and NOKL. Saw a few CP family cars at Segwun too...
There’s a lot of AEX covered hoppers that sits in Hughart Yard in Grand Rapids, unknown if Grand Elk drops off these cars in Wyoming Yard, than Y297 grabs them and drops them off at GRE Yard at Fuller Junction
Average railfan reporter on Grand Rapids Sub, Plymouth Sub, and Area Short Lines Railroads.

Follow my channel for more: https://www.youtube.com/@ATARP24

cnw8835
Grain Train Fetish LOLZ

Unread post by cnw8835 »

Andy24 wrote:
Fri Aug 18, 2023 12:52 pm
run8ed wrote:

There’s a lot of AEX covered hoppers that sits in Hughart Yard in Grand Rapids, unknown if Grand Elk drops off these cars in Wyoming Yard, than Y297 grabs them and drops them off at GRE Yard at Fuller Junction
The new AEX cars at Hughart are in storage there.

SD80MAC
Ingersoll's Mr. Michigan

Unread post by SD80MAC »

Andy24 wrote:
Fri Aug 18, 2023 12:52 pm
run8ed wrote:

Per the earlier replies to this thread, Grand Elk and GRE interchange directly with each other at Fuller.

run8ed
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by run8ed »

Are those AEX cars loaded? Should be easy to tell because hoppers will either be fully loaded or fully empty--they do not load or unload them partially. The gap between the bolster and the side frame will tell the story!

Does GRE share a crew with Michigan Shore? It seems as if GRE runs only 2 or 3 times a week. I didn't catch them today.

SD80MAC
Ingersoll's Mr. Michigan

Unread post by SD80MAC »

GRE does not currently have its own crew and hasn’t for years. GRE is run by either the Muskegon MS crew or the Alma MMRR crew depending on the day. That’s supposed to be changing soon.