Amtrak Train Locations/Heads Up - 2022

Daily whereabouts of train locations along with sightings for heads ups to other railfans.
Buster Manning
Railroadfan...fan

Re: Amtrak Train Locations/Heads Up - 2022

Unread post by Buster Manning »

Not enough working chargers currently.....they are using # 500 on one of the Milwaukee sets.....and the other day when the P42s headed back to Chi, the 62 went right back out on a Illinoise train as soon as it arrived---the 69 had plow damage and needed some repairs---otherwise it probably woulda been sent backout too!!

The back-up move was an attempt to expedite departure from PNT....kinda curious to see if this happens today, or will there be time to wye the power and get back with enough time to allow an on-time departure as 350 is only 15 mins late at this point in time.........and yes, I stand by my comment about the on-time departure metric

David Collins
Youtube Railfan Guru

Unread post by David Collins »

Buster Manning wrote:
Mon Feb 07, 2022 1:16 pm
Not enough working chargers currently.....they are using # 500 on one of the Milwaukee sets.....and the other day when the P42s headed back to Chi, the 62 went right back out on a Illinoise train as soon as it arrived---the 69 had plow damage and needed some repairs---otherwise it probably woulda been sent backout too!!
Does that mean we'll start seeing a temporary P42 return soon? I'd love to see them come back.
Ferris State University’s Train Guy

Youtube: Michigan Railfan Films

Flickr: David R. Collins

SC: daveeed1k

Manistique
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Manistique »

Amtrak 355 left Pontiac on time with a Charger pulling the train instead of pushing today. Train 350 was about a half hour late arriving at Pontiac but that must have been enough time to wye the train/locomotive and leave as 355 on time. So it is all a matter of timing, I guess.

And, by the way, David, your two "death star" IC SD70's were on 450/116 this morning and then again on what I presume was a late running 251 that just went by and should be in Pontiac by now. I enjoyed seeing them three times now as a pair.

Saturnalia
Authority on Cat

Unread post by Saturnalia »

Buster Manning wrote:
Mon Feb 07, 2022 1:16 pm

The back-up move was an attempt to expedite departure from PNT....kinda curious to see if this happens today, or will there be time to wye the power and get back with enough time to allow an on-time departure as 350 is only 15 mins late at this point in time.........and yes, I stand by my comment about the on-time departure metric
Meanwhile this evening #364 has yet to leave Chicago. #354 just departed on time, but the Blue Water is delayed due to mechanical issues per the Tweet linked below.

https://twitter.com/AmtrakAlerts/status ... LfqG9n848Q
Thornapple River Rail Series - YouTube
Safety today is your investment for tomorrow

David Collins
Youtube Railfan Guru

Two of the new ALC’s will be making their first revenue runs tomorrow on Empire Builder #7. How much does everyone wanna bet that the train will pull into Seattle with a BNSF unit leading? :lol: :lol: :lol:

DaveO
Read more, think more, post less

Unread post by DaveO »

I think it more likely it will have a couple of P42s along for the ride.

David Collins
Youtube Railfan Guru

11:48 AM EST: Amtrak 352 backing up past the Chicago MH tower camera, IDTX 4622, 5 cars and 28 axles.

David Collins
Youtube Railfan Guru

4:48 PM: Amtrak #7 ultimately ended up leaving Chicago an hour late and with the ALC’s trailing, of course :lol:

So what doth thou sayeth Buster Manning about why the chargers are having so many issues suddenly?

Saturnalia
Authority on Cat

David Collins wrote:
Tue Feb 08, 2022 4:49 pm
4:48 PM: Amtrak #7 ultimately ended up leaving Chicago an hour late and with the ALC’s trailing, of course :lol:

So what doth thou sayeth Buster Manning about why the chargers are having so many issues suddenly?
It’s not “suddenly”. The Chargers have struggled in the cold since they were delivered.

Manistique
Railroadfan...fan

Today, Thursday, Train 350 was about an hour late into Pontiac and Train 355 hasn't left Pontiac yet so I am guessing they wyed the train and need more than two hours to do so. What doth thou sayeth about this surmising, Buster Manning?

Buster Manning
Railroadfan...fan

CN had three trains show up pretty much at the same time and at the same place....515, 251, and 514 all met at Johnson Ave. with 251 crossing over there from 1 to 2 and then coming into the yard at Auburn....515 pulled into the yard at Johnson Ave. behind them and 514 then headed south after 251 cleared the plant.....and we were stuck waiting in the yard for 251 to pull in before we could leave (per directions of the Flint yardmaster), after which we got to take the scenic route "home" by going out to West Pontiac from Auburn and then coming back south on Main 1.....sure would be nice to get another engine in the rotation so as to NOT have to wye 350's engine and it be 355's leader the same day....it's just getting to be too ridiculous in trying to do this and not interfere too much with CN's trains coming thru the Pontiac area

LansingRailFan
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by LansingRailFan »

“Early heads up Amtrak 8 has 302 leading 301 Day 1 heritage and 161 Phase 1 heritage departed Seattle WA at 8:09 PM.”

Ope nevermind they hit a pickup truck

Saturnalia
Authority on Cat

LansingRailFan wrote:
Sun Feb 13, 2022 12:10 am
“Early heads up Amtrak 8 has 302 leading 301 Day 1 heritage and 161 Phase 1 heritage departed Seattle WA at 8:09 PM.”

Ope nevermind they hit a pickup truck
Well, I have been curious to see how the Amtrak noses handle collisions. Guess we'll find out soon! :(

twropr
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by twropr »

Let me see if I understand the situation in Pontiac with trains 350 and 355 correctly.
When there is a unit waiting at PNT, it ties onto 350's rear end and the equipment becomes 355's train?
If there is not a unit standing by at PNT, 350 turns on the nearby wye (if available) to become 355?
If 350 needs to wye to become 355 and the nearby wye is not available, 350's equipment (now 355) backs out of PNT and turns on the wye at Milwaukee Jct?
Is this correct?
Thanks
Andy
Jacksonville, FL

Manistique
Railroadfan...fan

twropr wrote:
Sun Feb 13, 2022 4:08 pm
Let me see if I understand the situation in Pontiac with trains 350 and 355 correctly.
When there is a unit waiting at PNT, it ties onto 350's rear end and the equipment becomes 355's train?
If there is not a unit standing by at PNT, 350 turns on the nearby wye (if available) to become 355?
If 350 needs to wye to become 355 and the nearby wye is not available, 350's equipment (now 355) backs out of PNT and turns on the wye at Milwaukee Jct?
Is this correct?
Thanks
Andy
Jacksonville, FL
Yes, with one clarification. We noticed the backup move happening recently because 350 arrived late to Pontiac and didn't have time to wye the train. The wye is usually available but sometimes there are freight trains tying up the route to it. This backup move maybe only happened two or three times so far. There is a power shortage so they are not keeping this "spare" locomotive at Pontiac station lately nor putting a locomotive on each end of 350 (which would alleviate any switching when 350 arrives).

Every evening the crew of the last arriving train, 354, takes this trainset and power and 352's trainset and power that arrived earlier and wyes them at Pontiac Yard for the next morning's runs to Chicago.

Manistique
Railroadfan...fan

Today 355 is shoving southbound out of Pontiac again, passing MP 22.5 on the Holly at 5:50 pm at restricted speed, about ten minutes behind schedule already but probably left Pontiac on time!

Buster Manning
Railroadfan...fan

close.....only engines are wyed at Pontiac....also, since there has been a protect crew called to coincide with 350's arrival to wye it's power and then set up 355 equipment and then go relieve 352's crew, this crew then wyes 352's engine after it's arrival to have the next days 351 set up for an on-time departure (clear as mud, right??)
354 only wyes it's engine nowadays.....

David Collins
Youtube Railfan Guru

What doth Buster Manning sayeth about thou: what are the issues the chargers are having? It seems like A LOT of them are out of service given that I’ve heard that the hiawatha is running with the Dash 8 class unit and the Illinois Zephyr is running with one of the heritage units.

Manistique
Railroadfan...fan

Doesn't look like 350 is running today. Nor 355. Monday winter schedule I guess.

twropr
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by twropr »

Manistique wrote:
Mon Feb 14, 2022 4:36 pm
Doesn't look like 350 is running today. Nor 355. Monday winter schedule I guess.
355 made it only as far as about a mile south of Royal Oak. I heard on the radio feed the CN RTC talking to someone at MP 12.2 who was stopped by a smoke alarm, which was probably 355. I believe the engine was IDTX 4635 or 4639. Anyway, 355 was canceled and 350 today, which turns from 355 in Chicago, was canceled.
With all the equipment laying over in CHI, I am surprised a make-up train was not put together for 350. Any, it should be interesting to see if one of today's eastbounds carries a second engine so that 355's equipment can be ferried to CHI.
Andy