ALC-42 Charger Tracking

Daily whereabouts of train locations along with sightings for heads ups to other railfans.
David Collins
Youtube Railfan Guru

ALC-42 Charger Tracking

Unread post by David Collins »

Admin- Please allow.

If this weekend wasn't foamy enough with CSX 3194, I don't know what is, On Saturday most of us reading this got heads up from various sources (including this website) about two visitors, I'd like this to be the heads up thread for when Amtrak ALC-42's #300 and #301 are here, This is a big deal as they're the next generation of Amtrak mainline engines that aren't state-funded, and also it's the first time an Amtrak heritage unit has been here in over a decade.

All we know so far is they're being based out of Battle Creek, They'll probably go as far as Wayne/Dearborn, but the rest is unknown at this time.
Ferris State University’s Train Guy

Youtube: Michigan Railfan Films

Flickr: David R. Collins

SC: daveeed1k

Buster Manning
Railroadfan...fan

Re: ALC-42 Charger Tracking

Unread post by Buster Manning »

Who said they were going to be based out of Battle Creek??

Look for them in Jackson (edit.....if and when they ever show up.....because just like their state owned cousins, continuing the pattern of mechanical issues runs in the family)

and if plans for testing go off of past history, it will be dark when they are being tested
Last edited by Buster Manning on Mon Oct 25, 2021 3:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.

J T
Hates Supper

Unread post by J T »

David Collins wrote:
Sun Oct 24, 2021 5:56 pm
...and also it's the first time an Amtrak heritage unit has been here in over a decade.
On all the Amtrak routes in Michigan or just near where you live?
https://www.flickr.com/photos/jimthias/
GRHC - you know every night I can imagine he is in front of his computer screen sitting in his underwear swearing profusely and drinking Blatz beer combing the RailRoadFan website for grammatical errors.

David Collins
Youtube Railfan Guru

J T wrote:
Sun Oct 24, 2021 9:18 pm
David Collins wrote:
Sun Oct 24, 2021 5:56 pm
...and also it's the first time an Amtrak heritage unit has been here in over a decade.
On all the Amtrak routes in Michigan or just near where you live?
On the wolverine in particular, the PM had #406 a few years ago, but nothing until now

David Collins
Youtube Railfan Guru

Buster Manning wrote:
Sun Oct 24, 2021 9:15 pm
Who said they were going to be based out of Battle Creek??

Look for them in Jackson

and if plans for testing go off of past history, it will be dark when they are being tested
That's where they're supposed to be going to at the moment, That was just a guess.

NS3322
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by NS3322 »

Supposedly they will be on 354 tonight going to Jackson.

UPDATE: Confirmed by passenger/railfan in CHI that 300 & 301 (along with misc. passenger) cars are on 354.
Test consist is attached to the back of the train with 300 on the east end and 301 on the tail.

Buster Manning
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Buster Manning »

even more amazing.....only 2 mins late turning the corner at CP-482

David Collins
Youtube Railfan Guru

354 cleared Ogden Dunes at 7:42PM

Dan Cluley
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Dan Cluley »

Arrived Jackson just before 23:00

Looks like the test train is being separated from 354.
Details to follow

Dan Cluley
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Dan Cluley »

Test train consists of Amtrak 90 on east end followed by 300, a viewliner baggage, a horizon food service car & 301

As of 23:30, test train is still sitting at Jackson station

Saturnalia
Authority on Cat

Unread post by Saturnalia »

Buster Manning wrote:
Mon Oct 25, 2021 7:56 pm
even more amazing.....only 2 mins late turning the corner at CP-482
This is a true miracle these days.
Thornapple River Rail Series - YouTube
Safety today is your investment for tomorrow

Robertrains
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Robertrains »

OK, does anyone have more info on these Amtrak® "Heritage Chargers?" Is there any more info on days and/or times they will be out "Testing? These are awesome!!!! :shock:
"Heritage Units" shows AMTK 301 is "Stopped near abondend buildings" (reported by SouthernMichiganRailfan): https://heritageunits.com/locomotive/detail/AMTK301
Robert Jackson (Extreme Railfan/Bluewater and Michigan Transit Museum member)

http://cooltrains.rrpicturearchives.net/

NS3322
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by NS3322 »

Robertrains wrote:
Sat Oct 30, 2021 5:20 pm
"Stopped near abondend buildings"
The former MC shops in Jackson are definitely not abandoned...

Robertrains
Railroadfan...fan

OK, can anyone verify that the Amtrak® "Heritage Chargers" are still parked in Jackson? Is there an easy way to photograph them from public property? Does any body know when/where they will be out testing? Will they work Saturday or Sunday? :?:

David Collins
Youtube Railfan Guru

Robertrains wrote:
Wed Nov 03, 2021 5:40 pm
OK, can anyone verify that the Amtrak® "Heritage Chargers" are still parked in Jackson? Is there an easy way to photograph them from public property? Does any body know when/where they will be out testing? Will they work Saturday or Sunday? :?:
They’re still there from what I know, no one has a clue as to when they’ll leave, there are whispers about them going up the Holly Subdivision to Pontiac sometime in the coming days IF they are still here (and that’s a pretty big if at this time), Amtrak is running these test trains in the middle of the night and NOT on schedules, so don’t expect to get good shots, as to where they’re at, I believe they’re in Jackson Yard, but don’t attempt to get close to them, Amtrak/NS police from what I’ve heard has given no bones to trespassers.

GTWChris
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by GTWChris »

Robertrains wrote:
Wed Nov 03, 2021 5:40 pm
Gone. On their way back to Chicago this evening.

twropr
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by twropr »

300-301 along with P42 90 and the two cars (a test car and a bag) are supposed to be on CAPITOL LIMITED 30 heading back to WAS tonight. This equipment had made a special train move from Jackson on Wed, powered by 518-519. Are 518-519 going to return or be replaced by other P32s for the work trains?
Andy

David Collins
Youtube Railfan Guru

twropr wrote:
Thu Nov 04, 2021 3:18 pm
300-301 along with P42 90 and the two cars (a test car and a bag) are supposed to be on CAPITOL LIMITED 30 heading back to WAS tonight. This equipment had made a special train move from Jackson on Wed, powered by 518-519. Are 518-519 going to return or be replaced by other P32s for the work trains?
Andy
I think the 518/519 are based out of one of three places: Chicago, Jackson or Wayne

Robertrains
Railroadfan...fan

David Collins wrote:
Thu Nov 04, 2021 3:20 pm
twropr wrote:
Andy
I think the 518/519 are based out of one of three places: Chicago, Jackson or Wayne
Hey, is there going to be any special power of this on somewhere between Jackson and Wayne, MI this weekend? I am looking at venturing out to Ann Arbor Saturday! it would be nice to see some nice Amtrak® equipment or "Heritage Chargers!!!!" Is there an actual "Work train" where we (Mazon and I) can view the P32s? I'd like to get something cool between Dearborn and Ann Arbor! Not going to Jackson!

Also, does anyone know anything about the "Private Varnish" supposedly sent to the ANN ARBOR Railroad®? :?: I also want to find AARR!!!! It would be great to see the special!!!! Do AARR trains usually run to Osmer on Saturdays? If so, what time usually? Do they also meet GLC on weekends too?
David Collins wrote:
Tue Nov 02, 2021 7:11 pm
LansingRailFan wrote:
Tue Nov 02, 2021 7:10 pm
CN X515 today took two private cars from Amtrak in Pontiac (they came in on P354) and interchanged them with NS at Oakwood. From there they will go to AARR for the WACGAP aka whack-gap - Watco Annual Company Gangbang And Picnic
When was this?

David Collins
Youtube Railfan Guru

Robertrains wrote:
Thu Nov 04, 2021 4:01 pm
David Collins wrote:
Thu Nov 04, 2021 3:20 pm
twropr wrote:
Andy
Hey, is there going to be any special power of this on somewhere between Jackson and Wayne, MI this weekend? I am looking at venturing out to Ann Arbor Saturday! it would be nice to see some nice Amtrak® equipment or "Heritage Chargers!!!!" Is there an actual "Work train" where we (Mazon and I) can view the P32s? I'd like to get something cool between Dearborn and Ann Arbor! Not going to Jackson!

Also, does anyone know anything about the "Private Varnish" supposedly sent to the ANN ARBOR Railroad®? :?: I also want to find AARR!!!! It would be great to see the special!!!! Do AARR trains usually run to Osmer on Saturdays? If so, what time usually? Do they also meet GLC on weekends too?
David Collins wrote:
Tue Nov 02, 2021 7:11 pm
LansingRailFan wrote:
Tue Nov 02, 2021 7:10 pm
CN X515 today took two private cars from Amtrak in Pontiac (they came in on P354) and interchanged them with NS at Oakwood. From there they will go to AARR for the WACGAP aka whack-gap - Watco Annual Company Gangbang And Picnic
When was this?
I meant that they’re kept in either one of the three locations, I have no clue as to where they’re at, as to where the AARR cars are at, don’t expect to have them comeback, they’ll probably be set off in Ann Arbor once they’re done and anyone of the westbound Wolverine trains will pick them and ship them west to Chicago, don’t get your hopes up please, any more info should be put in the standard Amtrak updates thread.