GDLK/NS 2015 OPS

Daily whereabouts of train locations along with sightings for heads ups to other railfans.
Super Chief
Railroadfan...fan

GDLK/NS 2015 OPS

Unread post by Super Chief »

This is the month this new arrangement begins for both companies. It will be neat to see how it works out as far as increase in car counts and changes in operating procedures? I did talk to a signal maintainer yesterday and he said Watco is bringing up the North Carolina Electracode system from the NS operation down there where they use the track for signal conductivity vs underground cable. No mention of signal changeout or upgrading. He was down there when Watco bought the operation from NS. GDLK fans keep us posted as this phase rolls out.

AARR
Ann Arbor RR Nerd

Re: GDLK/NS 2015 OPS

Unread post by AARR »

Can someone summarize what the new operating procedure is? The main thread was full of rumor and speculation (which I enjoy) but I'd appreciate knowing what NS destination traffic will travel on GDLK.
PatC created a monster, 'cause nobody wants to see Don Simon no more they want AARR I'm chopped liver, well if you want AARR this is what I'll give ya, bad humor mixed with irrelevant info that'll make you roll your eyes quicker than a ~Z~ banhammer...

NSSD70ACe
The Conrail Guru

Unread post by NSSD70ACe »

I plan on heading out today to see if there are any changes or even if NS happens to be in the yard. Last time I was there it was almost completely empty. Only two consists, one of which was only four cars long, and no power whatsoever.

I'll get back to everyone on the hubbub in (hopefully) a few hours.
:roll:

the contents of the above post are my opinion and mine alone, and do not necessarily reflect the views of my employer.

NSSD70ACe
The Conrail Guru

Ok I just got back from Gearhart Yard. This is what was going down:

Even in the low light, it was rather obvious that the yard was mostly empty. There were a couple of consists sitting on the tracks closest to the mains and 3 units, all Geeps, two widecabs and one standard, were on the engine leads. The first widecab, 4002 I think, was started. Not sure if they just got back from somewhere or if they were getting ready to leave. Only a few coil cars and some tank cars were clearly visible. It doesn't look like NS has visited yet or GDLK has made any changes to the area. Didn't have too much time because two vehicles at the east end of the yard began moving towards the yard tower and I didn't exactly want to find out whether they were Kalamazoo Public Safety or not, since it wouldn't have been the first time they drove around the yard.*

Looks like it might be a few weeks until we really start seeing some changes for NS to come back. Hopefully we'll know more when I can get down there in daylight.

*No, I was not in the yard nor was I trespassing. I was at an empty lot on East Michigan Ave. looking south at the fuel pad.

If anyone wants to know more I'd be happy to try and go out to get some answers however with school starting back up next Monday it might be a few days waiting time.

Thanks!

the contents of the above post are my opinion and mine alone, and do not necessarily reflect the views of my employer.

GAP
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by GAP »

I saw 4002 returning northbound thru Portage about 2 p.m. with 13 cars. One was a log car. I had never seen one of those in motion on the Grand Elk before. I saw lots of them when I lived in the U.P. of course, but not down here. Also there was a centerbeam at the lumber yard in Portage today. They seem to get about one per month. I saw eleven there in 2014.

Super Chief
Railroadfan...fan

4009 was the 501 today, 4002 was the 503 today per radio traffic. The log cars are loaded in White Piegon on the MSO and are delivered to Reedsburg Wisconsin. When NS starts is still in discussions and when they do to stay out of Amtraks way will probably be night runs. Thanks for checking things out and keep us posted.

Super Chief
Railroadfan...fan

Sounds like maybe car storage is a thing of the past if Gearhart is that empty or there all up at Hughart? Each manager has a different theory on that. One comes in and $4/day per car might sound good the next says not if it clogs up operations for customers. Remember when Elk had the auto racks in storage and they moved all over to get them out of the way for operations and GR was packed clear to 131 with cars. When the NS handover begins at least there will be room for their traffic.

NSSD70ACe
The Conrail Guru

5 locos (2 WSOR and 3 others) in Gearhart and the yard was packed. Still no sign of any major changes and no definitive sign of NS showing up. I might be able to go out again Tuesday when I'm not so busy.

Super Chief
Railroadfan...fan

Just heard Watco dispatch give a 700 permission to head North from CP14 to siding sounds like it could be a Anderson grain train. Also heard traffic for another 700 at 8:30 am this morning. With the snow thats coming its going to be a Watco winter. :D
I did not here the unit number on tonights 700 so don't know if it s NS or Elk powered?

NSSD70ACe
The Conrail Guru

TWO 700s on the same day? Traffic must be pretty important.

Five GDLK locomotives (including two of the SD40s) were up here in Gearhart (I said that already) so I'm betting it's NS powered. I doubt GDLK would send light power all the way to Elkhart this late for a single train. Then again, I don't know much about the hierarchy of the railroad management.

Saturnalia
Authority on Cat

Unread post by Saturnalia »

If the NS traffic is run-through, I suspect whatever train that brings it up will already have it blocked out, if it isn't a dedicated train. I have a suspicion that they'll be using the North Pass for at least one leg of the train...and perhaps the south pass or even one of the mains, since Amtrak could still meet west of Botsford.

But this is merely speculation from somebody who hasn't ever even been to the railroad parts of the Zoo...
Thornapple River Rail Series - YouTube
Safety today is your investment for tomorrow

NSSD70ACe
The Conrail Guru

Traffic isn't run-through or it shouldn't be. From what we know it's just going to be a local from Jackson to Kalamazoo then back, possibly stopping in Battle Creek. If there is run though traffic then it'll be foamers paradise an I'll lose my quiet little spots.

Super Chief
Railroadfan...fan

302 after getting the Watco dispatch which took a while came thru TR at 9:30am. Had the WSOR units with a mix of gons,covered steel cars ,box cars, loaded log cars, coal, tank and sand cars. You can really feel the earth groan when the sand cars go by. Its really nice to see a truly mixed freight come thru and shows the diversity of their customer base.

Saturnalia
Authority on Cat

NSSD70ACe wrote:Traffic isn't run-through or it shouldn't be. From what we know it's just going to be a local from Jackson to Kalamazoo then back, possibly stopping in Battle Creek. If there is run though traffic then it'll be foamers paradise an I'll lose my quiet little spots.
Run-through, as in over-head traffic for the GDLK. Yeah, it isn't run-through for NS, but it is traffic the GDLK handles that isn't destined for the GDLK.

Like I said, I wouldn't be surprised to see some sort of usual arrangement using that north pass...and it could be a good reason why they bothered to re-installed the west end after the new signals went in. It is still just a guess, but...

NSSD70ACe
The Conrail Guru

Yeah you've got a point there. I'm not sure what the GDLK would use the North Pass for but if they re-installed the west switch then someone obviously has plans for it. Amtrak doesn't have the traffic for it so either they are expecting more traffic than we know or they worked out something with Grand Elk to cross into the main, get to a crossover, and then put cars in storage on the Pass or use it as staging. One of my railfanning spots is right next to the North Pass next to a white cinder block building on E. Michigan (1266 E. Michigan) so my spot and the one good/non-obstructed view of Gearhart will get blocked off. Oh well...I will adapt.

Nothing by Loy Norrix since between 9 and 10 this morning that I know of.

CSX_CO
Over and Out

Unread post by CSX_CO »

MQT3001 wrote: Like I said, I wouldn't be surprised to see some sort of usual arrangement using that north pass...and it could be a good reason why they bothered to re-installed the west end after the new signals went in. It is still just a guess, but...
Pretty sure they have to get STB permission to pull a switch, cut off access to a track that a customer *could* be on, etc. That might be the reason why the switch was reinstalled, a regulatory obligation to, not necessarily and 'big plans'. It could also be that the deal with AMTRAK allowed the switch to be moved from the interlocking plant, but still had to be there 'just in case'.

Is there yard air inside the yard there at Gearhart/Bottsford? My money is on where you see a ground air plant go in, will be where they stage the cars, if they even go to that much expense.

Practice Safe CSX

Saturnalia
Authority on Cat

The north pass would still be connected at the east end...

CSX_CO
Over and Out

Unread post by CSX_CO »

MQT3001 wrote:The north pass would still be connected at the east end...
Doesn't matter. You're still restricting access to a track a customer might be on. Obviously, the railroad can make the case it is still connected at the east end, and that it won't impact service, but pretty sure you still need permission to pull it. If they shortened the track I think that would need approval too. Of course, all of that was probably contained in the plan submitted to the FRA for upgrading the signalling and reconfiguring the interlocking plants around there.

Practice Safe CSX

PatAzo
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by PatAzo »

The air plant at Gerhart is at the west end of the yard and only in the yard (not the north pass).

What would be the advantage in interchanging in the north pass? Gerhart is simpler train movement wise. Why would Grand Elk want to make the extra moves to cross over the mainline when they are just finishing putting all 17 tracks into service?

NSSD70ACe
The Conrail Guru

Some of those tracks are supposed to be for NS pickup and dropoff so that takes those out of the equation depending on how many cars are sent and received via that NS local. If NS takes up all the remaining yard tracks (not very likely but we don't know for sure yet) then it might force the GDLK to use the North Pass. Like I said, it's doubtful that NS I'll use all the remaining tracks but it's certainly possible depending on what exactly is sent and received.