arkansas midland fined for hazmat violations

News or chat about railroad info that pertains to the entire United States, another state, or country.
DaveO
Read more, think more, post less

arkansas midland fined for hazmat violations

Unread post by DaveO »

https://www.epa.gov/newsreleases/epa-re ... dous-waste
"The waste material, o-Chlorotoluene, was stored in up to 34 unsecured, unsupervised rail cars along Spring Street for at least two years."
so my search turned up that the placard should be 1294.
google street images show the cars placarded 1993 which is diesel.
that could have been real fun for first responders had an incident occurred.

AARR
Ann Arbor RR Nerd

Re: arkansas midland fined for hazmat violations

Unread post by AARR »

I’m surprised at how long chemicals, plastics and resins will SIT between loading and unloading. I read the average plastics covered hopper only makes three to four round trips per year. Chemical tank cars only five to six. The tank cars in this article sat loaded for two years. The railroads are probably charging for them but it seems like the shippers would want the cars moving more.
DaveO wrote:
Thu Mar 21, 2024 10:59 am
"The waste material, o-Chlorotoluene, was stored in up to 34 unsecured, unsupervised rail cars along Spring Street for at least two years."
PatC created a monster, 'cause nobody wants to see Don Simon no more they want AARR I'm chopped liver, well if you want AARR this is what I'll give ya, bad humor mixed with irrelevant info that'll make you roll your eyes quicker than a ~Z~ banhammer...

SD80MAC
Ingersoll's Mr. Michigan

Re: arkansas midland fined for hazmat violations

Unread post by SD80MAC »

AARR wrote:
Thu Mar 21, 2024 11:25 am
I’m surprised at how long chemicals, plastics and resins will SIT between loading and unloading. I read the average plastics covered hopper only makes three to four round trips per year. Chemical tank cars only five to six. The tank cars in this article sat loaded for two years. The railroads are probably charging for them but it seems like the shippers would want the cars moving more.
DaveO wrote:
Thu Mar 21, 2024 10:59 am
Companies use railroads as rolling warehouses. Plastics, chemicals, and lumber all move notoriously slow. With lumber in particular, many cars leave their origins loaded before they are even sold. They are later sold and re-directed enroute.
"Remember, 4 mph is a couple, 5's a collision!"
http://flickriver.com/photos/conrail680 ... teresting/