Amtrak Vs Freight Railroads and delays

News or chat about railroad info that pertains to the entire United States, another state, or country.
David Collins
Youtube Railfan Guru

Amtrak Vs Freight Railroads and delays

Unread post by David Collins »

I would like a clear and simple awnser to a question that I’ve been asked by friends and family that aren’t railfans for years, and I don’t intend to make this a political debate:

If Amtrak is truly a government entity, then why isn’t the government stepping in when the Class 1’s are putting Amtrak behind by hours and holding them accountable?
Ferris State University’s Train Guy

Youtube: Michigan Railfan Films

Flickr: David R. Collins

SC: daveeed1k

DaveO
Read more, think more, post less

Re: Amtrak Vs Freight Railroads and delays

Unread post by DaveO »

politics. class 1 railroads donate to the right politicians.
edit: Amtrak can't afford to alienate Congress. They have to walk a tightrope.

Chip
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Chip »

Because they’re beholden to trackage agreements just like every other class one. NS, for instance, doesn’t give a darn if AMTRAK runs on time and on schedule. Their priority is making sure their own trains run on time.

Saturnalia
Authority on Cat

Unread post by Saturnalia »

David Collins wrote:
Mon Jul 10, 2023 7:22 pm
I would like a clear and simple awnser to a question...
Problem is, there is no clear and simple answer to that question.
Thornapple River Rail Series - YouTube
Safety today is your investment for tomorrow

PatAzo
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by PatAzo »

David Collins wrote:
why isn’t the government stepping in
The simple answer is we live in a market economy vs. a planned economy. Market forces determine the goods and services produced vs. central planning from the government. In the case of many Amtrak services, lacking broad public support for passenger rail, the economy favors freight movement over passenger movement. If public demand were to change, freight rail would be forced to better accommodate passenger rail. In example, BNSF can stab the Zepher everyday but not Metra. Commuter rail offers an advantage to the Illinois economy and the public demands the infrastructure and service.

PerRock
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by PerRock »

David Collins wrote:
I would like a clear and simple awnser to a question that I’ve been asked by friends and family that aren’t railfans for years, and I don’t intend to make this a political debate:

If Amtrak is truly a government entity, then why isn’t the government stepping in when the Class 1’s are putting Amtrak behind by hours and holding them accountable?
Because the freight railroads successfully argued in court that essentially that there is no government agency that can enforce the Amtrak priority rules.
Given the choice; I fly Amtrak.
American Trainz Group

J T
Hates Supper

Unread post by J T »

PerRock wrote:
Tue Jul 11, 2023 12:03 pm
David Collins wrote:

Because the freight railroads successfully argued in court that essentially that there is no government agency that can enforce the Amtrak priority rules.
As corporations that own the rails, could the Class 1s decide one day to ban any passenger trains on their lines?
https://www.flickr.com/photos/jimthias/
GRHC - you know every night I can imagine he is in front of his computer screen sitting in his underwear swearing profusely and drinking Blatz beer combing the RailRoadFan website for grammatical errors.