GMD-1s still in Service with CN?

News or chat about railroad info that pertains to the entire United States, another state, or country.
Struggen
Railroadfan...fan

GMD-1s still in Service with CN?

Unread post by Struggen »

I was doing some reading on GMD-1's and came across the Wikipedia page which stated 3 GMD-1's are still in service at the Symington yard in Winnipeg. Google Maps with recent satellite data (2023) show 3 units still in the yard but I can't make out the road numbers. Anyone have any idea which road numbers they are? Everywhere else I've looked says the last units were all retired back in '21 with 1 given to a preservation society.

SD80MAC
Ingersoll's Mr. Michigan

Re: GMD-1s still in Service with CN?

Unread post by SD80MAC »

I thought I had read than CN finally retired/stored the last few remaining GMD-1s earlier this year, though I may be wrong. The scuttlebutt is that once the new AC44C6M rebuilds enter service on the DMIR, the displaced SD40 types currently captive up there will be dispersed to local service across the system, which will spell the end for the few remaining GP9s and other 567-equipped power.
"Remember, 4 mph is a couple, 5's a collision!"
http://flickriver.com/photos/conrail680 ... teresting/

David Collins
Youtube Railfan Guru

Unread post by David Collins »

SD80MAC wrote:
Thu Jun 22, 2023 5:29 pm
The scuttlebutt is that once the new AC44C6M rebuilds enter service on the DMIR, the displaced SD40 types currently captive up there will be dispersed to local service across the system, which will spell the end for the few remaining GP9s and other 567-equipped power.
It would also spell the end for every single Dash 8 left on the CN roster.

You mentioned that some of the C6M’s are going to be exclusively in Iron Range service soon? Seems like a pretty good place to put them, other than the fact that some CN guys I know have nothing but bad things to say about them.
Ferris State University’s Train Guy

Youtube: Michigan Railfan Films

Flickr: David R. Collins

SC: daveeed1k

SD80MAC
Ingersoll's Mr. Michigan

Unread post by SD80MAC »

Yes, the Dash 8s will be first to go, then the SD40s. They are currently having issues adapting the straight air system to the rebuilds.

LansingRailFan
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by LansingRailFan »

David Collins wrote:
Thu Jun 22, 2023 5:49 pm
SD80MAC wrote:
The scuttlebutt is that once the new AC44C6M rebuilds enter service on the DMIR, the displaced SD40 types currently captive up there will be dispersed to local service across the system, which will spell the end for the few remaining GP9s and other 567-equipped power.

You mentioned that some of the C6M’s are going to be exclusively in Iron Range service soon? Seems like a pretty good place to put them, other than the fact that some CN guys I know have nothing but bad things to say about them.
Because from where they sit, it’s still an old junky locomotive. They didn’t revamp the cab at all. Just mechanical and paint

SD80MAC
Ingersoll's Mr. Michigan

Unread post by SD80MAC »

LansingRailFan wrote:
Thu Jun 22, 2023 7:46 pm
David Collins wrote:
Thu Jun 22, 2023 5:49 pm
SD80MAC wrote:

Because from where they sit, it’s still an old junky locomotive. They didn’t revamp the cab at all. Just mechanical and paint
They received all new Gevo cabs as part of the rebuild. A lot easier to tell on the CN units since they lost their distinctive tear drop windshields.